Buffles removed and popping on decel Need Dobeck or Cobra FI2000R - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
diamondhill

Question Buffles removed and popping on decel Need Dobeck or Cobra FI2000R

I have a Vulcan Custom 900 SE and I need to know which one does a better job.
Any help would be apperciated. Thank you.
diamondhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Collinba

Garage

Actually what you need to do first is marble. Lot's of threads on this forum on how to go about it. Only took me about 5 minutes and almost eliminated the popping. Still some but not much and marbling is free.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

actually you dont even need to marble.... first make sure the idle is set at a minimum of 950rpm, second make sure the throttle cables have the proper amount of slack in them and third when decellerating close throttle all the way... as having the throttle twisted even enough to take up the slack will make it pop...
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
rick50

x2 on marbling.................worked for me
rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

putting the baffles back in will help too. Modify them if you want.
I feel I have to have baffles in my Meany or it doesn't sound good.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
diamondhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
Actually what you need to do first is marble. Lot's of threads on this forum on how to go about it. Only took me about 5 minutes and almost eliminated the popping. Still some but not much and marbling is free.
Thank you all for the marble ideea. I will try that first but how do you do a search on the subject for the VN900? This is not easy to navigate.
Also, Electronic Jet kit sells the Gen 3 digital box with 6 settings for $250. Does any of you have any input on this compared with Dobeck 4 pot box for $170 on Amazon?
I am asking because I intend to get a K&N air filter or box with a larger filter in the future.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondhill View Post
Thank you all for the marble ideea. I will try that first but how do you do a search on the subject for the VN900? This is not easy to navigate.
Also, Electronic Jet kit sells the Gen 3 digital box with 6 settings for $250. Does any of you have any input on this compared with Dobeck 4 pot box for $170 on Amazon?
I am asking because I intend to get a K&N air filter or box with a larger filter in the future.
I would go with the Dobeck unit simply because they've been in the business for years and have their hand in the previous Power Commander fuel processors and now the Cobra Powrpro 2000. It's a simple unit that adds fuel and has a course adjustment.
The marble install is plugging a hose that originates in the back of the air cleaner and goes up to a solenoid valve near the backbone of the frame. Don't plug the hose that goes to the engine case because you'll blow out every seal keeping oil in the engine.

Last edited by Sojourner; 12-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
diamondhill

OK, I got the ideea and I will let you know how it works.
The other question is how do I remove the stock air filter to replace with the K&N?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
diamondhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I would go with the Dobeck unit simply because they've been in the business for years and have their hand in the previous Power Commander fuel processors and now the Cobra Powrpro 2000. It's a simple unit that adds fuel and has a course adjustment.
The marble install is plugging a hose that originates in the back of the air cleaner and goes up to a solenoid valve near the backbone of the frame. Don't plug the hose that goes to the engine case because you'll blow out every seal keeping oil in the engine.
I called Dobeck yesterday asking about the 4 pot unit and I was surprised when the cust serv guy recomended EJK 912-0275 for my bike. I think it is the same company now or this is their newer product of Dobeck because they call this new all digital box Generation 3 with 6 functions and it is described on their website. And yes, I would go with the regular 4 pot unit. Do you have this one? TIA
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
diamondhill

Sojourner, I do not want to start the engine before I know for sure that this is the hose I was supposed to plug. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement