Where do you mount your smartphone? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

My phone stays in my pocket. I can't tell when it rings when I'm riding. I check it when I stop. I like it that way.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

I used a handlebar mount for awhile, but took it off as I never bothered with the phone once mounted - why have something else stuck on the bike? I do sync my Sena SMH10 headset with it most of the time. I can answer the phone if I want to, talk hands-free, and listen to my selection of 45GB of tunes. That should last awhile! Galaxy S III.
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Dan66

I use a RAM mount with the universal phone mount. I also have a power port mounted between the risers.

I use my phone for GPS and music while I ride, so it's good to have power handy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Dan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Hatchcover

I keep my iPhone in my pocket connected via bluetooth to my helmet intercom. If and when the phone rings (rare) one touch on the intercom button on the side of helmet and there you go. If the wife happens to be talking to me at the time (passenger) she gets disconnected until the call ends and reconnects to her automatically and she never knows the difference. Ha!
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Pappyman

Also keep mine in my pocket.
I use a Cardo ScalaRider G9 Comm system in the helmet. Bluetooth compatible.
For longer trips I use the phone for turn by turn navigation through the bluetooth system and the comm speakers in my helmet. Never have to look down at a screen. You just listen for instructions. It will interrupt the built in FM radio each time a nav aid comes up.
It has FM radio built into it that will search and auto add 6 radio stations with the strongest signal in any surrounding area.
Will also link to a bluetooth compatible Ipod for music should you choose.
Recieve, call or redial phone calls at the touch of a button.
Up to 8 additional riders can be added for bike to bike communications.
Almost everything is controlled either by voice command or buttons. Super easy and intuitive.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #16
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I have a tank bib with a little pouch it sits in. Inside that pouch is a charger for my phone, which connects to a TAPP lite 12v USB adapter, it's all waterproof. The phone isn't, but the charger and wiring is completely sealed so as long as I take my phone out and put it somewhere that doesn't get wet, I'm golden.

Can't see it, but you don't really need to. I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet that my wife and I use to communicate, it also works great for listening to music through the iPhone or for getting voice turn by turn with the GPS.

At one time I had it mounted on the bars, but you can't see the map in bright sunlight, the phone gets hot, it's just a pain. Works better this way.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
101stFister

pocket, and i dont answer calls when im on the bike. wish i could get by with a pager, but there are no more pay phones anywhere. looking into building a small jammer to shut down all cell phones withing a 50m radius of my bike. we used them downrange on our trucks, so i know its possible. drunk or texting cager is my least favorite game to play on the bike.
computer thingy

May the road rise to meet you and the wind always be at your back
101stFister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

I have always thought that was a bad idea. I mean if you are in a place that has cell service and then all of a sudden their phone quits working. Tell me how many people are going to be looking down at their phone turning in on and off, pulling batteries, beating it,... trying to get them to work again. I just think it would be an even bigger distraction. I am not justifying phone usage and driving but I figured that is the lesser of the 2 evils.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stFister View Post
pocket, and i dont answer calls when im on the bike. wish i could get by with a pager, but there are no more pay phones anywhere. looking into building a small jammer to shut down all cell phones withing a 50m radius of my bike. we used them downrange on our trucks, so i know its possible. drunk or texting cager is my least favorite game to play on the bike.
Every MRAP has one, but you can't - at least legally. My understanding is that it is a federal offense to jam signals. Quick way to shoot a military career in the butt!

Sidebar, you still at Campbell?
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
DoubleTap
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I have always thought that was a bad idea. I mean if you are in a place that has cell service and then all of a sudden their phone quits working. Tell me how many people are going to be looking down at their phone turning in on and off, pulling batteries, beating it,... trying to get them to work again. I just think it would be an even bigger distraction. I am not justifying phone usage and driving but I figured that is the lesser of the 2 evils.
Dont need a cell service if you have the right GPS program. (maps stored on phone) Basically jsut using the GPS chip and processor the Nav. And maybe some tunes on the phone too!

Samsung GS3 with 64gb sd card.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
DoubleTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement