Clutch Bite Point - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
trevor49

Will most likely only be the spring check out http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm
trevor49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
BaldEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddyboy View Post
I wouldn't use dot 5 the bike requires dot4 . Dot 5 can damage the system
Like to hear other comments on thoughts on this. Yes, the bike calls for DOT4, but I don't think DOT5 existed when the bike was made. DOT5 has a much higher boiling point and I don't see a reason it would damage the system.
BaldEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
sfair
Top Contributor

Evey single molecule of dot 4 must be removed.
Google and you will see the warnings.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
BaldEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Evey single molecule of dot 4 must be removed.
Google and you will see the warnings.
Here is an interesting read on the matter: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html

Looks like 5.1 would be the best route to go being that it is a glycol base with a higher boiling point.

Going to change the clutch, flush the system with alcohol and then determine between now and then to use DOT4 or DOT5.1.
BaldEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
jigger

My 06 was doing that and it was the clutch spring. I used the mean streak spring and now it's all good again.

Makes for difficult turns at stop signs and lights doesn't it.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Snelly

Just a quick update, I ordered the mean streak clutch spring and its been fitted this week... i'll let you know how I get on
Snelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
jigger

I bet it makes for a much more controllable bike. Make sure the starter thrust washer is put back in place! As it WILL fall out.

Last edited by jigger; 10-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Watch out for issues when running that DOT5 fluid. It's not compatible with DOT4 and can corrode and damage components when mixed. Usually the seals need to be replaced whenever switching to DOT5 in order to eliminate any chance of the fluids mixing.

I've read that some newer brands of DOT5 play nicer with the DOT4 fluids but, just be on the lookout for potential problems with that.

Edit: Looks like that's already been covered, sorry.

If you can find DOT5.1 go for it but, your bike was designed to and can run perfectly well with DOT4. DOT5 isn't all that great, it has a lot of shortcomings. It's main use is very high heat racing situations where glycol based fluids just can't stand up. But, for example, they tend to be so 'spongy' and tend to trap air so badly that they cannot be used in most ABS systems, they can damage valves and they create such an unpredictable 'flow' that the ABS system won't work right. Now I know you're using it in a clutch but, you get the idea. It's not 'better' by any means, it just handles more heat, but your bike doesn't produce enough heat to boil DOT4 so you don't have a need for DOT5, and I would venture a guess it would have some unintended consequences with the clutch as well.

If for some reason you feel you need to go with DOT5, be aware that it'll take more than an alcohol flush. You'll need to replace any seals or other rubber parts (save for maybe hoses) as they can absorb the old fluid, introducing the reaction down the road. You'll probably want to consider doing that anyway, I'm afraid, as whatever you introduce now will react with incompatible fluid soaked into the seals, so you're going to be chasing leaks and damaged components until you get it all out.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-09-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Murphy
Top Contributor

Looking forward to update on spring replacement.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
JDragger311

same here. my quick fix ive been having to do is release some fluid from the master to line (banjo bolt) couple drops out by sqeezing the lever then im good for about 100 miles.
all after replacing all of the fluid in the system to the point of no more debris.
do not want to throw parts at it.
JDragger311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement