Anyone own or have ever owned a Victory? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
angelo
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
now thats setting the bar pretty low !!!! lol
easy worm ... I'm just asking about US factory big twins ...

For Pilot, I think you're right about big twins - but some seem worse than others with the heat. The 17's better with the shields / new ideas for the Voyager seem to make a difference in what I read. Big sport tourers CAN do a better job if the plastic is poprly engineered and routes the heat down or out.
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

Last edited by angelo; 12-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
KawaVulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strompilot View Post
While the Victory may be hot while sitting in traffic, don't kid yourself about the Nomad being much cooler. My '10 Nomad threw off plenty of thigh roasting heat while sitting in traffic. Those are all big engines and they all put off a lot of heat. Doesn't help that the rear cylinder is right by your upper legs and that the rear exhaust pipe comes out right next to your inner leg as well. If you want to graduate up to a larger bike, more heat is just part of the package.
Thanks Stormpilot! I've never actually test rode any big Kawasakis, but I assumed the big liquid cooled engines would be much cooler in traffic than an air cooled one. I'll definitely take one (or three) for a test ride before I make any purchase decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
KawaVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Dadinator
Top Contributor

When that fan turns on with the V2K, a lot of hot air on the old legs.

The vic's are oil and air cooled.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaVulcan View Post
Thanks Stormpilot! I've never actually test rode any big Kawasakis, but I assumed the big liquid cooled engines would be much cooler in traffic than an air cooled one. I'll definitely take one (or three) for a test ride before I make any purchase decisions.

I really do like the Victorys. If the dealer network was better; I might have one instead of the Voyager.

I test rode the 2012 XCT and the 2012 Voyager a day apart in 105ish temps.

Kawasaki's KAMS does work for rider comfort. But, only the top end is liquid cooled; operating temperatures on some bikes seem too close to red line. Although they are probably operating as designed.

The XCT is a nice bike, and the air/oil cooling keeps the engine within operating temps.
However; at higher ambient temperatures you are going to need that low seat height so you can keep a wide stance; even for a stop only lasting a couple of seconds. It is HOT and it will roast your calves.

All of that being said; my choice was made by a very narrow margin.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
cruzerbotz

I had a 2010 Crossroads. Loved the bike. Lost my job and it had to go at the beginning of last year. Was the most comfortable bike I've owned. Didn't have to do a thing to make it comfortable. Now have a 900 Classic. What is the big difference? The 900 is paid for and it won't go. If I had the cash to own another Victory outright I would.
cruzerbotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
KawaVulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz View Post
I had a 2010 Crossroads. Loved the bike. Lost my job and it had to go at the beginning of last year. Was the most comfortable bike I've owned. Didn't have to do a thing to make it comfortable. Now have a 900 Classic. What is the big difference? The 900 is paid for and it won't go. If I had the cash to own another Victory outright I would.
The wifey likes the Crossroads, but I haven't rode that one yet. I don't see as many Crossroads as I do the Cross Country. I have rode the Hard Ball and I really liked that bike, but it's not really setup for touring (no windshield or passenger backrest). Anywho, I don't know, I'll figure something out. Thanks guys!

Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
KawaVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Strompilot
Top Contributor

To qualify my remarks concerning the 1700 Nomad, by no means did I mean to imply that there is anything wrong with it. I found that it is at least reasonably comfortable to ride on a hot (90's+) day, and really, the only time the heat becomes bothersome is in traffic moving slowly or stopped. The heat just has nowhere else to go but up. I liked my Nomad a lot and would still have it were it not that it proved itself to be a poor platform for pulling my Bunkhouse camper trailer. The heat only became an issue when it got hot out. Otherwise, it's hard to find a better bang for your buck when it comes to that kind of bike. The Nomad is less expensive than the others, has just a good quality, and is a satisfying ride. It only comes up short (but not by much) in the power department when compared to something like the Victory Crossroads or Cross Country, and both of them cost quite a bit more than the Nomad.

Personally, if I were to be in the market, I'd have a tough time making the choice, and it would have to be between the Nomad, the Victory XC and the Road King. In Alaska, heat is not an issue, as 70 degrees is considered to be a very warm day!

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
To qualify my remarks concerning the 1700 Nomad, by no means did I mean to imply that there is anything wrong with it. I found that it is at least reasonably comfortable to ride on a hot (90's+) day, and really, the only time the heat becomes bothersome is in traffic moving slowly or stopped. The heat just has nowhere else to go but up. I liked my Nomad a lot and would still have it were it not that it proved itself to be a poor platform for pulling my Bunkhouse camper trailer. The heat only became an issue when it got hot out. Otherwise, it's hard to find a better bang for your buck when it comes to that kind of bike. The Nomad is less expensive than the others, has just a good quality, and is a satisfying ride. It only comes up short (but not by much) in the power department when compared to something like the Victory Crossroads or Cross Country, and both of them cost quite a bit more than the Nomad.

Personally, if I were to be in the market, I'd have a tough time making the choice, and it would have to be between the Nomad, the Victory XC and the Road King. In Alaska, heat is not an issue, as 70 degrees is considered to be a very warm day!
Hey Strom,

When test riding tourers I was surprised when the Voyager seemed (butt dyno) to have more pull than the Victory XCT.
But, upon a closer look at the specs; the Kawasaki 1700 puts out 108lbs of torque and the Victory 106 puts out 106lbs of torque.

I don't think there is enough difference between the two to even consider it.

I know your issue was with pulling a trailer on the Nomad. I wonder if the gearing on the Victories would produce better results?

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Hey Strom,

When test riding tourers I was surprised when the Voyager seemed (butt dyno) to have more pull than the Victory XCT.
But, upon a closer look at the specs; the Kawasaki 1700 puts out 108lbs of torque and the Victory 106 puts out 106lbs of torque.

I don't think there is enough difference between the two to even consider it.

I know your issue was with pulling a trailer on the Nomad. I wonder if the gearing on the Victories would produce better results?

Scott
No doubt. I felt at the time given the power the Nomad is supposed to have, I wasn't feeling much of it, and the apparent lack of pull with the trailer, I suspected that the gearing was all wrong for that kind of duty. All was fine without a trailer, though. When Kawasaki says "5th & 6th gear are overdrive gears, I believe it. Makes it cruise nice, but there's no power there, either.

I've never ridden any of the Victories, so I can't comment on their power. The new Voyager, either.

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
angelo
Top Contributor

Quote:
No doubt. I felt at the time given the power the Nomad is supposed to have, I wasn't feeling much of it, and the apparent lack of pull with the trailer, I suspected that the gearing was all wrong for that kind of duty. All was fine without a trailer, though. When Kawasaki says "5th & 6th gear are overdrive gears, I believe it. Makes it cruise nice, but there's no power there, either.

I've never ridden any of the Victories, so I can't comment on their power. The new Voyager, either.
Sure, I believe that! The overdrive gears are all about the flat roads around here. Going 80 true speed on the slabs, that 6th gear is nice. Uphill at 65, not so much. Pulling a trailer, forget about it.

Still, a great addition to any bike, but certainly not for every situation. I think getting into that big V, heavy torque mode, can make us lazy by default. Switching to sport touring, I find I shift more - and like it!
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement