Installing Baron's front pulley-Help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
evodog

Default Installing Baron's front pulley-Help

I just got my baron's 34 teeth front pulley and I'm taking to the shop for instalation and belt adjustment after new pulley.

Or

Maybe i can do it myself if there is any instruction that came with it. but no there is not.

SO.....If anyone have done this themself or have any pix showing what to do, PLEASE let me know. I looked around the forum but no luck of step by step, installing and adjusting.

Thank you guys. !!!!
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
evodog

Lol...stupid me.....i went on scootworks website and found that they have instruction about the front pulley......I would say it should be the same ??? the pulley are the same shap and size.....installation shouldn't be different and adjustment.

If anyone did it them self please give me a heads up what to watch out for and what not to do. Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

The pulley change should be a simple matter, an impact may be needed to remove the nut. The belt tension is important to belt life and ridabilty. Make sure your wheel is alinged properly, not on an angle to the bike. If you are comfortable with setting the tension, should be a piece of cake. Good luck which ever way you go.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
The pulley change should be a simple matter, an impact may be needed to remove the nut. The belt tension is important to belt life and ridabilty. Make sure your wheel is alinged properly, not on an angle to the bike. If you are comfortable with setting the tension, should be a piece of cake. Good luck which ever way you go.
Yeah... after i read the instruction with pictures......I dont have bike jack to jack it up so i can't adjust the tire nor the tension because i dont have tension gauge tool and torq wranch. the most important three tools for working on the bike i dont have it.....what a joke right......i put everything on my bike and never needed them......wish i have extra money for those tools and jack. so...i have to go to the shop and let them do it....thanks guys...
it was pointless to ask since i have no tool for it X( damn it
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Busboy

How much will the shop charge compared to buying the tool needed?
You could be better of getting a quote and then finding out how much the tools are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
How much will the shop charge compared to buying the tool needed?
You could be better of getting a quote and then finding out how much the tools are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
My shop i know:85 install
dealer i know:95 install

tools
torq wrench: 50 ~ 80 depends what brand and what range or torq
tension gauge: 20
motorcycle jack: not sure...maybe 150 ~250

i rarely use the jack ....so its pretty much one time deal....
so i guess just let the professional do it. its my first time anyway.
but thanks man... thats a good comparson.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Vulcar

I have 70K on my bike and plan on tackling replacing the belt, front pully and brake disc this winter. Just waiting on christmas vacation time. I also plan on removing the swingarm assy so that I can lube, touchup any rust, etc. I have a MC jack and use it all the time changing oil, cleaning the bike, etc. You can get one for around 60 bucks at Harbor Freight on sale. Worth the investment if you have space for storage.
keep that shiny side up.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
Vulcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodog View Post
Yeah... after i read the instruction with pictures......I dont have bike jack to jack it up so i can't adjust the tire nor the tension because i dont have tension gauge tool and torq wranch. the most important three tools for working on the bike i dont have it.....what a joke right......i put everything on my bike and never needed them......wish i have extra money for those tools and jack. so...i have to go to the shop and let them do it....thanks guys...
it was pointless to ask since i have no tool for it X( damn it
Evo, I know your original plan was to have the shop do it, and would stick with this plan for now. It takes time (money) to build up some tools. I have been building on my tools for 35+ years (still do it). That being said, HF (Harbor Freight) has some good stuff to get you started, and it's well priced for the home mechanic. Watch for their sales, and you can get their MC jack for a great price, plus torque wrenches on sale for $10, etc. It's like a guys tool heaven....

Let us know how you like the new pulley.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Evo, I know your original plan was to have the shop do it, and would stick with this plan for now. It takes time (money) to build up some tools. I have been building on my tools for 35+ years (still do it). That being said, HF (Harbor Freight) has some good stuff to get you started, and it's well priced for the home mechanic. Watch for their sales, and you can get their MC jack for a great price, plus torque wrenches on sale for $10, etc. It's like a guys tool heaven....

Bosco is correct about the tools. And when you start to build your own collection you will never have enough or you will never have that particular tool at that moment. Just start with you basics and eventually you will have a good collection. And there is nothing wrong with homemade tools. I got plenty of them. For my front axle I found a nut that fit it and used loc-tight and threaded a bolt in it and that is what I use to remove my front axle. There was a guy on here not long ago that made one out of some 2x6's and steel pipe. But anyone who plans on doing anything to a motorcycle will need a jack. It will make a lot of thing easier, even cleaning the bike.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 12-13-2012 at 02:44 PM.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post

yeah i was looking at the website last night for the jack, every one of them is pretty big. I live in an apartment that have underground parking and my own spot, but i can't leave anything there or someone will take it i'm sure.
i have no place to store the jack once im done using it. so its kind of a bumer.
the torq wrench and tension gauge is my next thing to buy for sure. also baron's make a small scissor lift hold up to 1000 lbs but cost 170. kind pricy.
but is small and easy to store in my storage closet.

I'm done with most of the accessories on the bike. I'm not going to buy an aftermarket pipe like cobra i use to have or air intake and than i will need proccessor.....thats another 1000 dollar all together for three item... so no!! from now on i'm telling myself to save the money for tools and maintnance. will need new oil...tire.....break pads....etc sooner or later. those are the money spend that we usually dont see. two new tires later maybe cost 300 to put on and purchase. and yes i want the bigger one like 200/70-15. break pads maybe 40+installation. oil change i do it myself but thats maybe 20 dollar...all this little money add on so im start saving from now.

OMG I talk too much....later!!!
Advertisement