Radical new motorcycle helmet hitting the road next year - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage
Default Radical new motorcycle helmet hitting the road next year

Thoughts?

FOXNEWS story link
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Strompilot
Top Contributor

OK, for those who choose to take a lot of low speed crashes, I guess that's fine. Personally, (and yes, you can't account for the unexptected) I plan on riding in such a manner as to maximize the "shiny side up" concept. This helmet may be rather unaffordable though. Neat concept, anyway.

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Woody

Lets hope not too many hit the road too often!

_W_
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
tmanv2krider

I may have to invest when they come out. I have family and people I love, and I want to make sure I can be around for them for a long time, so any chance I get to maximize my chance of making it out of a spill in better shape, I try to do so.

No excuse not to be ATGATT; it's not a fashion statement.
Ball hone and re-ring
Torrington B-138
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Competition drag pipes
CV Performance carb kit
James, and HD gaskets
All done myself except the heads
tmanv2krider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
KahWahSahKey

I wonder how many 4.5 mph or lower impacts take place?
KahWahSahKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I read somewhere recently that injuries due to head strikes on the road comprise a rather small percentage of all motorcycle crash-related injuries. That, as I recall, included both those who did and did not wear helmets. Apparently most of the injuries were to the body and extrematies, not the head.

While anytime the helmet hits the ground in a get-off and should be replaced, it is, according to those conducting accident studies (NHTSA, I believe, as well as the insurance industry) the least likely of injuries for some reason. I wish I could cite the magazine article I read. It was interesting. This is not to justify riding helmetless, however, as other studies have shown that one is 60 times more likely to need the services of a safety helmet when riding a motorcycle in town than out on the highway. I choose to wear mine all the time but that is my choice. YMMV

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
tmanv2krider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strompilot View Post
I read somewhere recently that injuries due to head strikes on the road comprise a rather small percentage of all motorcycle crash-related injuries. That, as I recall, included both those who did and did not wear helmets. Apparently most of the injuries were to the body and extrematies, not the head.

While anytime the helmet hits the ground in a get-off and should be replaced, it is, according to those conducting accident studies (NHTSA, I believe, as well as the insurance industry) the least likely of injuries for some reason. I wish I could cite the magazine article I read. It was interesting. This is not to justify riding helmetless, however, as other studies have shown that one is 60 times more likely to need the services of a safety helmet when riding a motorcycle in town than out on the highway. I choose to wear mine all the time but that is my choice. YMMV
The height of the shoulders probably have a lot to do with that considering you're usually going to slide, or roll.
Ball hone and re-ring
Torrington B-138
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Competition drag pipes
CV Performance carb kit
James, and HD gaskets
All done myself except the heads
tmanv2krider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Red Rider
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strompilot View Post
Scroll down to the section " Prevention That Works "
http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...SafetyBook.pdf
Advertisement