Michelin Commander II - Page 17 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #161
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueygunner View Post
Looking for info. I have a friend with a Harley Limited and he had the catalytic
converter removed. He says it runs cooler and it does sound pretty good. I know
V&H and Cobra have no converters. Does anyone know if there is a header
pipe (without the converter) that matches up with the stock mufflers. I know that
without the converter the pipes would run cooler. That converter in there is like
a hot brick!
State of Confusion! I somehow thought this thread was titled "Michelin Commander II. I didn't know it was "catalytic converter". My bad...
tstorey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #162
king_arthur1953
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
ALL cars here have a tyre plate fitted stating the size, pressure suitable for the vehicle ( a police officer can book you for incorrect tyre pressures, are we over governed or what
I am not sure that we are actually required to have tires on the rims here in Arkansas. Yes you may be over goverened in the land down under.
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
king_arthur1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #163
spicermech

Just replaced the front with the commander 2!

Wow what difference, it handles a lot better. Feels lighter, less input to start a turn. I did a 30 mile ride. Very nice, smooth.

Only one think to get used too. At very low speed it seams top heavy or harder to stay balanced. But great after I get moving.

Patriot Guard Rider
spicermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #164
NMGoose

I, for one, have experienced the wobble with the Commander II tires on my 2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700. As long as I have a grip on the handlebars, no wobble. But, if I release my grip slightly for a few seconds, at any speed above 40, the front end will start to wobble quite aggressively. I have about 2000 miles on them so far. I never experienced the wobble with the stock Dunlop tires.
NMGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #165
VagaBond661

The service department at my dealership said the ABS might be affected with going with a bigger tire but he wasn't 100% sure.
VagaBond661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #166
Windburn Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGoose View Post
I, for one, have experienced the wobble with the Commander II tires on my 2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700. As long as I have a grip on the handlebars, no wobble. But, if I release my grip slightly for a few seconds, at any speed above 40, the front end will start to wobble quite aggressively. I have about 2000 miles on them so far. I never experienced the wobble with the stock Dunlop tires.
I wouldn't blame the wobble on the tire until eliminating the possibility that it wasn't installed right. After having a shop put a Commander 2 on the front I was experiencing bad wheel hop at highway speeds. Took it to a friend with a tire changer set up. He broke it down and found water inside the tire. A LOT of water. Don't know how the kid at the tire shop got water in it but I don't do business there anymore.

Got tired of wearing out a rear tire every 10 K/10 months so I thought I would try a set of the Micheline Com 2's. Haven't reached the 10K mark so I don't know about longevity yet but I'm so impressed with the way they grip when blasting through the twisties and the smooth ride that I'll probably buy another set when these wear out. BTW...no problem fitting a 180/65-16 on the back of my '05 Vulcan 1600 Classic. About 1/4 inch clearance between the tire and swing arm, lowered the rear 1/8 inch, speedometer is 3mph off now instead of the factory 5.
Barons PB's, Flanders bars
Cobra True Duals
Hypercharger
Dobeck TFI
Mutazu HL hardbags
One off drivers back rest

Last edited by Windburn Bill; 12-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #167
OverHillAndDale
Lifetime Premium

I put the Michelin Commander II on my Voyager last week. 130/90 B16 in front, 180/65 B16 on the rear. No problems with fit. I only got about 5000 miles off my 1st two rear tires (Bridgestone then Dunlop), so I'm looking forward to improved mileage on these.

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
OverHillAndDale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #168
Windburn Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_arthur1953 View Post
I am not sure that we are actually required to have tires on the rims here in Arkansas.
LOL! Now thats funny right there! As Jeff Foxworthy said "they prefer you put your boat on a trailer before dragging it home from the lake" too!
Cobra True Duals
Hypercharger
Dobeck TFI
Mutazu HL hardbags
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #169
Windburn Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
I put the Michelin Commander II on my Voyager last week. 130/90 B16 in front, 180/65 B16 on the rear. No problems with fit. I only got about 5000 miles off my 1st two rear tires (Bridgestone then Dunlop), so I'm looking forward to improved mileage on these.
Had the same experience you had with the OEM Stones and Dunlops. Had a Dunlop E3 front for a while. Couldn't get that tire off soon enough. Roughest riding tire I ever bought. Felt every little rough spot in the road and the sidewalls started to Spider web after only 4K. Hated the E3. Maybe I just got a bad one but between that and all the reports of the Dunlop H402 coming apart I'm done with Dunlops.
Cobra True Duals
Hypercharger
Dobeck TFI
Mutazu HL hardbags

Last edited by Windburn Bill; 12-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #170
IL Vaquero

Hey guys I had put commII on front and back of my vaquero and had front end wobble from the start. Took to dealer and rep said wrong size back tire I said adj head bearings rep said normal wear and tear mind you this was at 6400miles. kaw would do nothing about it because back tire size I just got my vaq back from shop that installed tires because dealer would not install different size rear tire. Anyway new tapered head bearings and wheel bearings and no more wobble. Handles sooooo much better so I would say if they wobble adj head bearings or go with tapered one seems better to me . If this is all messed up I feel at work thur and craked 4 ribs and i'm on pain killers THank You Doc.
Advertisement