Gas gauge fix - Page 46 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #451
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Big Toe View Post
wow, I have over 172,000 miles on my '08 900 and have never had a problem w/my gas gauge.......yet
Well, I don't think there is an issue like they don't read or they break, they just aren't that accurate and that bothers some people. They don't like there being more than a little bit of fuel in the tank when it reads "E"

I keep saying I'm gonna do the mod but I keep not... I guess it just isn't a big deal to me, the fuel light is pretty accurate.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #452
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Well, I don't think there is an issue like they don't read or they break, they just aren't that accurate and that bothers some people. They don't like there being more than a little bit of fuel in the tank when it reads "E"

I keep saying I'm gonna do the mod but I keep not... I guess it just isn't a big deal to me, the fuel light is pretty accurate.
Last weekend, the empty light was on and I rode like 25 miles so there was right around a gallon left. After I took out the 270 ohm resistor I manually moved the gauge right to the empty line and afterward, it started to work as designed. So, a resistor for the fuel gauge is not even needed!

Of course I will have to keep riding till after a fill up to see if it will stay like this.
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #453
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I manually moved the gauge right to the empty line and afterward, it started to work as designed. So, a resistor for the fuel gauge is not even needed!
How did you move it ?
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #454
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieC View Post
How did you move it ?
I -accidentally- (ahem) used the following tool:

Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #455
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

[QUOTE=TurcoLoco;[/QUOTE]

Ahh so you moved the needle on the gauge

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:
http://www.youtube.com/user/erniechiasson
Here is another Hobby of mine model boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATi_sSJOvs
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #456
Lou

Question w/ 2010 900 Custom ...

Factory gauge would read below empty with 1.5-2 gallons remaining. With 270 ohms 1/2 watt resistor fuel light came on at 1/4 tank and bike started running out of fuel @ about .5 needle thickness above E line.

Can anyone provide a suggestion as to what ohms resistor I should try to calibrate somewhere in the middle of the above two readings.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #457
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieC View Post
Ahh so you moved the needle on the gauge
Yeah, I kept it simple. There was a tiny bit resistance, so I tilted it enough to move it to where it was supposed to be and it seemed to have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Question w/ 2010 900 Custom ...

Factory gauge would read below empty with 1.5-2 gallons remaining. With 270 ohms 1/2 watt resistor fuel light came on at 1/4 tank and bike started running out of fuel @ about .5 needle thickness above E line.

Can anyone provide a suggestion as to what ohms resistor I should try to calibrate somewhere in the middle of the above two readings.
Higher the number, more to the RIGHT it will move hence making it appear more FULL. Lower the resistor rating to closer it will point to EMPTY. So, in your case, try a 220/230 omhs resistor.
I had a similar experience with the 270 ohms resistor showing, a tad under 1/2 full when the light came. The light came on when it had about 1.5 gallon off, so the light was off about 1/2 gallon but the gauge was way more off. So, I removed the resistor altogether and I moved mine with finger. Light is still off a bit but the gauge it way more accurate.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 12-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #458
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

what do you mean by the light being off a bit....
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #459
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
what do you mean by the light being off a bit....
As I mentioned above, it still takes 1.5-1.7 gallons to fill 'er up when the light came on so I consider it a bit off since the light was supposed to come onwhen there was about 1 gallon left, am I wrong?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #460
DoubleTap
Premium Member

Garage

I did this mod with a RS 270. It read out at 265 ohm. My light comes on about the same time as it did before 1 to 1.3 gallons in tank. But the gauge is so much better now. I like that i have a gallon left when the light comes on, just means i need gas!!.

But i am not getting the mileage a lot of you are. I only get around 40 mpg. The bike is new to me with 2270 miles on 2008. And i ride it like I stole it, LOL
So maybe it is me. Maybe it doesnt like these 27 degree morning.

Love this place...learning so much about my bike
Thanks to all here

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
DoubleTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement