Vulcan 900 Stator Information Thread - Page 8 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #71
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the references johnnyplano.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #72
sfair
Top Contributor

Just two things under the common causes:

1. Add vibration as another cause.
2. I have NEVER seen a reg/rect output drop to zero, so that could be misleading and reinforce the Kawasaki specified charging voltage checks.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #73
Aleco

Last night i changed the back tire, i put the tire back on the bike and adjusted the belt on the marks. I went out for a ride and noted the odo lights, turn signals and head light were surging at iddle. I got to the placei was going, after 2 hours i tried to start the bike and it made a wiring sound the efi light came on and stay on for a few seconds. After a third try to star the engine i was able to turn it the on. My bike is 2009 SE and 5600 miles on it. Only electrical additions arefusser horn with relay and integrated rear light (no relay and it didnot come with ground connection, so ground cables for the turn lights are not connected) iinstlled this light maybe4 months ago, when using the turn lights they blink fast( could this be my problem?). What to do?
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #74
Aleco

Btw battery is new
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #75
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleco View Post
Btw battery is new
If you have a smart charger leave it on over night and try starting the bike again. It sounds as if the battery was not fully charged. You will need to check the charging system to be sure it is working correctly.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #76
Aleco

Now that you metion it, more than a month ago i left the switch open, i had to jump start the bike. Afterthat i kept the engine running for like an hour, i did not bother again.
This morning i started the bike and it started immediately, but still surging on the odo and front signals, the head light is ok
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #77
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Start with giving the battery a full charge, then checking the charging system. This is a great thread for what to check. Also, it is my understanding that running the bike does not charge or fully charge the battery (maintains its current status). So once the battery is low it stays low. Since I don't ride mine every day, I keep it on a battery tender.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #78
Aleco

This morning bike started ok, went to the office and parked the bike for around 4 hours, when starting it again, there was the wiring sound again and the bike did not start until after the third or fourth atempt. I guess is timetu use tha car. Got some home work for the weekend
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #79
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleco View Post
This morning bike started ok, went to the office and parked the bike for around 4 hours, when starting it again, there was the wiring sound again and the bike did not start until after the third or fourth atempt. I guess is timetu use tha car. Got some home work for the weekend
I strongly recommend AGAINST replacing parts because someone else had similar symptoms and that's what it was. Like Bosco said, give the battery a good overnight trickle charge, test it, test your stator, AND test your reg/rect. Even IF you find one of those three to be at fault, continue to test the other two and replace whatever turns out bad. When it comes to the charging system, there can be gremlins. A bad stator could ruin a battery, so you'll replace the battery, only to have it ruined! A bad reg/rect could ruin a stator, which could in turn ruin the battery. Replace the battery and stator, only to be back at square one!

Test all three with a meter with the steps outlined, and see where you are from there.

However, if it's an issue of cranking and cranking and not starting, then I'm leaning towards an issue OTHER than the stator. But with surging lights and such, definitely check those three components.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #80
Aleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I strongly recommend AGAINST replacing parts because someone else had similar symptoms and that's what it was. Like Bosco said, give the battery a good overnight trickle charge, test it, test your stator, AND test your reg/rect. Even IF you find one of those three to be at fault, continue to test the other two and replace whatever turns out bad. When it comes to the charging system, there can be gremlins. A bad stator could ruin a battery, so you'll replace the battery, only to have it ruined! A bad reg/rect could ruin a stator, which could in turn ruin the battery. Replace the battery and stator, only to be back at square one!

Test all three with a meter with the steps outlined, and see where you are from there.

However, if it's an issue of cranking and cranking and not starting, then I'm leaning towards an issue OTHER than the stator. But with surging lights and such, definitely check those three components.
Thanks for charing your wisdom SENSEI! I'll get to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement