i blew up my motor - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
dale44

Default i blew up my motor

I have a 96 vn 800 classic with over 80000 miles on it. I was riding the bike last night in 40 degree weather and seized up the motor.
Should i rebuild or find a new motor.
If i need a new motor does anyone know were the best place to get one and about how much i should pay?
dale44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Just helped a friend replace the motor in his 04 classic. He did a search online and found one about 250 miles away for 1200 from a wrecked 04 with just over 8,000 on it. He dropped both exhaust valve in the front cylinder. Do you know what happened? Bearings?Valves? I have 98,000 on mine, know I'll need new cams over the winter, going to see how the rings are.
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
dale44

Ive found a few motors for 1200 bucks, i bought the bike for 1200 two years ago.
dale44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Comanche

Garage

How much does anyone think they would make off of parting out an 800B Classic? No hijack attempt here because my reasoning is that if it will generate at least $2400 then you got a shot at upgrading to something else by doing that instead of sinking $1200 or more into it by buying a used replacement engine.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Phil in Maine

Garage

Well I purchased my 2000 VN800B with 26k miles for $1500 that hasnt needed much beyond new tires and a decent cleaning of the carb.

I would seriously suggest just looking for a newer bike than investing the time money and energy to replace a motor on a 16 year old bike. There are plenty of good used 800's out there. If you dont have many 800 specific accesories you want to keep then you can broaden your search some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Well I purchased my 2000 VN800B with 26k miles for $1500 that hasnt needed much beyond new tires and a decent cleaning of the carb.

I would seriously suggest just looking for a newer bike than investing the time money and energy to replace a motor on a 16 year old bike. There are plenty of good used 800's out there. If you dont have many 800 specific accesories you want to keep then you can broaden your search some.
Phil, prices like the one you got for yours are much less than out here. I need to go bike hunting with you in the future.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Phil in Maine

Garage

I have pretty good skills at tracking down inexpensive used bikes, but I am constantly checking craigslist. Even as an average deal a 2000ish 800 shouldnt be much more than $2k. Mine was a little ugly so getting it for $1500 was easy.

There is always someone out there that needs immediate cash more than a motorcycle. You just have to find them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Some have done it but there have been a few threads on it, and it seems like most determined the cost of parts really outweighs the cost of a good used engine. Although, you could probably find a good used engine, gift wrapped inside a good used motorcycle and just ride it and get rid of the old one! Seems like with metric twins the engines cost almost as much as the bike sometimes. (SOMETIMES, not always).

I would encourage you to make a list and really determine cost before you start digging into it. Most find it's not cost effective on these Kawasaki twins. You might even find parts aren't available for it!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Timb4302

Dale,

Where are you located? I am in canton Ohio which is half way between Cleveland and Akron. If you figure out the logistics I have a complete engine that I will give you for $300. It does need a valve adjustment job but I have heard they are not too bad. Ask Rick about that.

Just thought I would throw this option out there for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Timb4302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Valve adjustment are pretty easy, the hardest part is getting the rear cover off, but if its out of the bike, a piece of cake to do. If you have any mechincal abillity at all. Do advise buying a full shim kit, think mine cost about $70, but dealer will charge double that roughly and you only have to buy it once.
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement