ashamed but... I will share - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Saw a lady the other day riding on the rim on her sportster. Tire was flat, as in punctured. Had no idea, said it had been feeling a little 'off' since she left that morning a couple hours before. Sheesh!

I can notice something a little 'off' with more than a couple pounds myself, but I check them frequently so I kind of get a 'feel' for how it should be. I don't ride very aggressive though, so I can usually get away with a couple pounds here or there.

Nothing to be ashamed of, at least you caught it! It's a good reminder though to check those tires often, especially this time of year where temperatures fluctuate, drop, humidity changes, etc. etc. Seems like, unless it's just my imagination, my tires fluctuate a lot more in the winter and in the spring than any other time.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

Boy I need to be slapped!!, I have not checked mine, But in any case what is the best pressure for a 06 lt ?
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieC View Post
Boy I need to be slapped!!, I have not checked mine, But in any case what is the best pressure for a 06 lt ?
It varies based on your weight and riding preferences. Experiment a little bit and you'll find what feels 'right' for you.

I run 38 front and rear, FWIW.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Papa Smrph

The 09 Classic owner's manual says 28 PSI front and either 28 or 32 rear, depending on weight. I typically check pressure once each weekend and whenever the temperature up here changes by more than a few degrees. I use a "guaranteed" pressure guage, not the one on my compressor. I also alternate around within a 2 PSI range of recommended pressure. This is to have different parts of the tread to be on the road. My original set of Dunlops got me just under 25,000 KMS and I was still 1 or more MM above minimum tread depth. I don't think I feel any difference in the 2 PSI range.
I as well am not a really agressive rider. A couple months ago had a friend drop by. He was riding 2-Up with his tween daughter in tow. Did not see him ride up, however on leaving as soon as he sat on the bike you could see the contact point flatten out. I mentioned it to him and he said he would drop around to a station and fill it up. I insisted that we do it here and as he left I just shook my head. We only have two, so check them often. Papa Smrph
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
Papa Smrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Pilgrim

I checked mine this weekend also and I had 36F/30R...brought them up to 38F/40R.
Met 880s
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
zippydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV9002010 View Post
You guys must not be riding a lot of decent curves. I can notice a 2-4 lb difference riding the Cascade foothills.
bahahaaaa you are right... I live in Daytona Beach and we don't have much in the way of curves or hills really at all. Great weather though and you haven't lived until riding up A1A next to the ocean so its all relative.
zippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement