Vaquero front end wobble - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
IL Vaquero

The lady I thaked to said that mich has not tested a tire on anything newer than an 2006 that said i think their falling way behind the other brands
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Oldturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Vaquero View Post
The lady I thaked to said that mich has not tested a tire on anything newer than an 2006 that said i think their falling way behind the other brands
"It's a fine time to tell me Loucile"..lol. I put the Com II on my voyager and it wobbles as well. I am darkside with the Altamax and have tweaked till I have it rideable. In a left curve, its fine no squirrely motion, but right turn and it wants to wobble. Riding straight, it would wobble if I let it go.

I think Mich needs to get with the program or buy these sucka's back.
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
IL Vaquero

The lady told me i was sol on getting a new tire because its not approved for our bikes same ply and load range should work. But I'm trying new steerings head bearings the shop owner said if that did not fix it he would replace tire or what ever it takes to fix the problem. Mich tire on back is different size changed rake angle so might need to adj your steering baerings I will let everyone that wants to know how it turns out. Goes in shop monday he told me if bearings dont fix it he will install my pcv for free will find out if his word is good or not. Wish me luck guys Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Go with the Excedra Max on the front. Good mileage and works well without wobble. If the rear tire is a little larger and you want to keep the stock trail you could put a shorter shock on the bike or set the preload to less PSI so the bike sits lower when you are on it.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
rusty360

Great, getting my Michelins installed Saturday, what to do? I know there are several on the forum that have several thousand miles on them and love them. Like I said what to do?
rusty360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

VERY Interesting thread. I'm having these same symptoms on my '03 Meanstreak w/ ~21,000 on it. AND, I have had Michelin Comm II's on for a few months now. Both tires are oversized, 120/90 front/ 200/55 rear, air pressure checked regularly. BUT, I didn't have the issues when the tires were 1st. installed. I had a great ride this summer from SW Ohio to mid-Michigan w/ no problems.
It started after they had been on for a few months. I also have what I describe as a "super power steering" feeling ONLY in the early mornings(I work nights). It feels like your following a semi all the time until the day warms. During the rest of the day it rides normally. I've also had 4 occaisions when turning right(normal riding, not hard) that the front end felt like it wanted to slide out. While I'm down for winter I had planned to replace stem bearings & front wheel bearings. The bike will soon be 10yrs old I thought it might be time?? I'll hold off for a while & watch this thread closely. Good Luck to us...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
rusty360

I know Roadie and racnray have the michelins and have not experienced these problems and I believe ray has over 10000 miles on them. Maybe they will add their two cents to this.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
ksblaster

I run a dual compound Briggstone rear tire on the front of my Meanstreak (reversed) and I get no wobble. I rebuilt a 05-Sportster and good G_D it was dangerous. Tried a lot of stuff to make it quit wanting to high speed wobble. The solution was the fattest front tire possible which is where I learned to use a fat rear on the front. By the way, RAKE, (the angle your front forks project forwards or backwards) +/- determines how fast your bike turns with what effort. There is a trade off for comfort and the closer the fork tube is to vertical the scarrier it handles at speed. So with more rubber on the pavement the harder it is for the forks/front end to wander around. ALSO in a high speed wobble...PUSH-PUSH...on the handle bars to control it till you slow down out of the occillations !
ksblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
rusty360

Had the Michelin's installed today and rode home on the freeway. Took it up to 80 mph and smooth as silk, no problems. When taking the bike to the shop the rear end felt loose on the freeway, kinda wondering around a bit. Nothing like that now, real happy and we'll see as the miles go by. Thanks for your pm today Ray.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

On Saturday I checked the rebound and shock pressure on the Vaq and today the wife and I set out to have some lunch, on the way back I thought I would test this wobble, well twice it was so bad, had I not placed my hands back on the bars we would have went down for sure. The wobble was so violent and so fast my wife could feel it sitting on the back, one time a fluke, the next time convinced me I should be looking for new tires. At least on the front for sure.
This all happened on deceleration, slowing down hitting 30-20 mph. hands just 1-2" above the bars with no pressure on the bars.
All said and done I am convinced a moment at the wrong time hands off, a moments distraction and you'll find some pavement.
High mileage on a tire is not worth, low safety
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement