My thread about Tsukayu Strong bags - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Really nice bags. Your install tightened up the look. Great job!!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
Graybush
Top Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I pulled off the fender trim and reattached the bags using shorter bolts. I bounced up and down on the seat as hard as I could and didn't have any clearance issues. Everything was going swimmingly...until this weekend. When I got home Sunday and emptied my bags, I saw this on the belt guard:

The best I can come up with is that at some point the rear end compressed far enough that the corner of the front bracket gouged the belt guard.

There is about 2" of clearance between them and try as I might, I still can't make it happen again, not even close. I don't remember hitting anything that rattled my teeth this weekend but I guess I did. Anyway, for anyone who has moved the bags in closer, just be aware. I may have to find some middle ground and use small spacers without the trim pieces. A replacement belt guard is $65 from Bike Bandit but I guess it did its job so I'll just order another and have it handy for when I sell the bags and/or bike later.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
18 Til I Die

Sorry about that Graybush. Looks like the end of the bolt hit it. Not sure how. I have added over a 1000 miles since I put the shorter bolts on with out the fender guards and nothing has moved. My husband says he never sees them even move anymore. Although I am only 130 lbs and can't really compress the shocks too much. No one sees that part so don't rush to replace. Good Luck! Are the bags staying on better? I just bought a bunch of extra bolts @ .47 each in case over the winter I want to change them. I have a Fastenal in my area and drove down to pick them up so I didn't pay any shipping either.

Gayle
Marlboro, NJ

2011 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
2008 Yamaha 650 Classic
First Bike - 2008 Virago 250
18 Til I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Greybush, Could the bags have flexed inward during a hard compression with weight in the bags? Don't know how much stuff you had packed for the trip. I can picture it, just difficult to describe. Sorry about your chain guard, glad it wasn't any worse.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #45
Graybush
Top Contributor

My first thought was that the lower bolt had hit the guard but for that to happen the bag/bracket would have had to flex about 1.5-2" inboard. I crawled around under the bike for a while and finally found a small mark on the bottom of the bracket which is what makes me think that's what hit.

I don't put much weight in the bags. I stood on some digital scales Friday then picked up each "bag liner" and the scales didn't even register a difference. I agree, though, the belt guard did its job and I'd much rather it get blasted than the belt itself. Now to start working on a new fix...
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #46
histguy

Gale,

You have the vinyl covered Stong bags eh. Can you tell me how similar the material is to the stock seat? Does it seem to match well?

Also- does anyone have these bags and use passenger floorboards? Any clearance issues? I am looking at getting a set of the bike-specific bags from Tsukayu.

Thanks,

Don
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #47
Graybush
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Also- does anyone have these bags and use passenger floorboards? Any clearance issues?
Yes. No, not with the bags interfering with the floorboards. When I mounted mine I put them in place and sat on the passenger seat to make sure my legs didn't hit anything.

Check out the last two pictures in this post
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #48
histguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybush View Post
Yes. No, not with the bags interfering with the floorboards. this post[/URL]
Great! I saw those photos and missed the floorboards (I guess I expected them to be up).

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #49
18 Til I Die

Default Tsukayu Strong Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Gale,

You have the vinyl covered Stong bags eh. Can you tell me how similar the material is to the stock seat? Does it seem to match well?

Also- does anyone have these bags and use passenger floorboards? Any clearance issues? I am looking at getting a set of the bike-specific bags from Tsukayu.

Thanks,

Don
Don,
They look great! The seat has a different finish but the colors are very similar. Look at my pics. I get compliments on the bags all the time. People also say how well they match the lines of the bike and the overall style/colors.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...330#post244330

Gayle

Gayle
Marlboro, NJ

2011 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
2008 Yamaha 650 Classic
First Bike - 2008 Virago 250
18 Til I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #50
histguy

Thanks Gayle. That is what I hoping you would say! (I guess I have my heart set on these bags now). It is just so hard to buy a $600 set of bags without being able to see them in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement