Opinions on After-market Seats Requested, 2009 Vulcan Classic LT - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I've owned a lot of different motorcycles over the years and here's what I've found to be universally true. Most (not all, but most) OEM motorcycle seats come up short in the comfort department for most people. I ran across something recently that stated that the "model" for a motorcycle seat that the Japanese manufacturers use is a rider that is 5'8" tall and weighs 135 pounds. May be fine over there, but that is not the typical American motorcycle rider. I have found that the basic problem with OEM seats is that they're all shaped the wrong way. The 900 Vulcan seat is a good example. The slope of the rear portion of the rider's seat has the wrong slope to it, and it forces the rider's butt forward, shoving the more delicate front areas into the rear of the tank, while at the same time putting a lot of excess forward and downward weight on the butt bones. (aka, ischial protruberances) Doesn't take long to get very uncomfortable.

Merely installing "better" foam or gel doesn't really solve the problem. That is where the better aftermarket seat manufacturers come in. Russell is a good example, as they fashion the seat to YOUR shape, and so it fits YOU, not a generic one-size-fits-most seat. Mustang is an example of a one-size-fits-most seat that actually works for a lot of people. YMMV, however. And it doesn't help that OEM seats have foam that feels good when you first sit down on the seat, but very quickly, due to being too soft, usually, your weight causes you to slowly sink down, the foam compresses and becomes hard, and you start experiencing butt burn (monkey butt) and your butt bones get sore. Feels like you're sitting on the seat pan. So the it all boils down to a combination of using the right kind of seat foam and shaping the seat properly so it evenly distributes the rider's weight over the surface of the seat.

Oh, and by the way, in that pic I posted of my Russell Daylong, it should be noted that when we had the seat made, we only had them do the rider's portion. The passenger's portion is covered to match the front, but inside is still stock. If you want them to make the seat so it fits your passenger, then they can do that too, with your passenger's information as to size, weight, inseam, etc. It would look quite different than the stock configuration in most cases.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
ostbob

2005 VN1500 Classic FI
I am 6'2", 245lbs with absolutly no butt, I basically sit on my tail bone. I tried having a custom seat made and it wasn't much better than the OEM. I finally decided to pay the bucks and try the Russell Day Long. I figured with their 100% money back I couldn't go wrong. It is the best seat out there period.
I have rented the goldwing 1800 and the new Victory Cross country tour. The cross country tour seat was fine for me but my wife said she hated the rear seat and much preferred the Russel Day long. The Goldwing was ok.
The only problem is I had made up my mind that if the Russell seat didn't work I was going to sell the bike. Now I don't have an excuse to buy a new bike.
Best money I ever spent on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0763.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	14494   Click image for larger version

Name:	russell day long side view.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	14495  

Last edited by ostbob; 12-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
londonoi
Banned

Click image for larger version

Name:	r 014.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	14503

This may not help with your passengers comfort but it really helps my lower back from hurting on rides though. it clips to the passenger strap on my stock 08 Vulcan 900 seat. if you dont have the money for a Mustang seat, it was only around $60 at www.comfortzoneride.com
londonoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
ksblaster

I can't afford a million bucks for a seat. I take off the vinyl cover and trim down the foam with the thanksgiving electric turkey carver and install wheel chair gel padding. Works great, same texture as ass fat !
ksblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
crazyj
Lifetime Premium

I had a Mustang on my previous bike and now have an Ultimate, which is hands down better, especially for my back. I found a great deal for a used, on the forum, and it is outstanding!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
kingnba6
Top Contributor

i never heard of the Ultimate company. a quick google search showed some good prices they offer! wish i had known about them before my mustang seat
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement