give me your best advice for cornering - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > New Riders

Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
BornWild

I am really surprised that no one has passed along this skill.

When you are going into a corner look ahead to where you want to end up and that is where you will end up. DO NOT look a few feet ahead of the front tire. Look and scan far enough ahead to a point in the road you want to end up at. As you go through the turn adjust that point and NEVER NEVER NEVER try to make that point just in front of your front tire or you will end up crossing over that center line into oncoming traffic.
BornWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #32
BlueridgeRider
El Jefe

Garage
Default Know the curve !

Most of us who ride enjoy a good roll through a set of twisties. The most imoportant thing to do is to not try to be aggressive through a curve that you dont know. If you have never been through a curve, observe the speed limit postings the first time you go through them. There are many dynamics that go into approaching and navigating a curve. The camber or degree across the road has a huge impact on how much you can lean and where it will direct you as you navigate through. Leaning into a curve and catching your running boards will send a thrill through you the first time it happens and will cause you to correct your line through the curve. This can send you into the other lane or into the shoulder if you are going too fast.
The best advise i can give you is learn the roads you ride repeatedly and enjoy/ play on the curves you know, and respect the ones you have never ridden through by slowing down.
BlueridgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #33
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

What not to do when cornering.

Click through the pictures.

Link to pictures
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
BigDog

Ouch!!!
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rider View Post
What not to do when cornering.

Click through the pictures.

Link to pictures
Man; that is scary!

He looks like an experienced rider. Frame 9 & 10 it looks like he might be scraping boards.
Later it looks like he is straightening the bike for maximum braking.

I am guessing he had two problems.
First, he didn't account for the extra weight of all that luggage he was carrying and the lowering affect it had on his cornering clearance.
Second, he put too much attention on looking good for the camera and entered an (unfamiliar) curve at too high a rate of speed.

Either way that is a great set of pics! (not so much for the rider though)
Thanks for posting MN!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornWild View Post

When you are going into a corner look ahead to where you want to end up and that is where you will end up. DO NOT look a few feet ahead of the front tire. Look and scan far enough ahead to a point in the road you want to end up at. As you go through the turn adjust that point and NEVER NEVER NEVER try to make that point just in front of your front tire or you will end up crossing over that center line into oncoming traffic.

As the saying goes, "Look up, stay up. Look down, go down."
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
OverHillAndDale
Lifetime Premium

Keep your eyes on where you want to be next, not directly in front of you.

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
OverHillAndDale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
washbord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
MPH?
How far do you lean?
How do you negotiate hazards?
How do you CYA?

What's your best advice to newbs about cornering?
This might not help much, but i use the same advice my brother gave me about torque on a bolt, He said turn it till it breaks , then back it off a 1/4 turn.
washbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #39
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornWild View Post

This is the biggie! Don't look down or you will go down. Your body follows your head!

Also don't lock your vision on debris for the same reason. You will hit it. Always look at where you want to go.

Do your braking before you enter your turn or cuves. Braking causes your bike to go upright. then you have to work harder to keep it turning. Then keep on the throttle. Now that doesn't mean accelarate hard. It just means keep on the gas. This will keep your ride smooth! Smooth in turns in important. This will keep your suspension from loading or unloading. Which will make turning more difficult.
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #40
Vandy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Yesterday I was riding around and ground my pegs for the first time. I panicked - ALMOST hit the brakes, but remembered my MSC course and throttled harder knowing that the bike REALLY wants to be upright when it's moving. Came out of the corner looking and feeling great.

I think there's value to parking lots, but they're not real Liffey with curbs and such. I've been riding around my neighborhood to practice, but then I get self-conscious aout how loud those Cobra pipes really are.
I wouldn't worry about the pipes. I was self conscious about mine as well at first. I just consider they are not near as loud as the hogs driving around the neighborhood.
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement