scootwork front pully - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodog View Post
Okay, so i guess the conclusion will be first the front pulley than 2nd the rear tire. if still not enought than final rear pulley.

So...here comes the big question........How do i change the pulley if the belt is so tight ??? take the pulley out is no question, the hard part is how to put it back in the way should be and the belt tension......i do not have tension checker. or i should just order it and let the professional do it.
but i wonder how much would they charge for it. any idea ?

I checked on the parts diagram from kawi and its not hard.....just i'm not sure how to proper adjust the belt.
You could look to buy a belt tension tool. They are fairly inexpensive and good to have around. Down on the side of the belt guard you'll find a small window with markings. Using the tension gauge tool you deflect (push up) on the belt with 10 lbs of force and should have a deflection of approx.4mm. Once you start you'll get it. Then you start adjusting the tension using the two axle bolts to the rear of the wheel. Make small adjustments 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time, keeping the axle even on both sides. Just take your time, spin the wheel after each adjustment to make sure the belt is aligned in the rear pulley and the tension has been evenly distributed.

Quote:
I found the baron's front pulley from phat and 149.99 is pretty reasonable deal. best thing is order tomorrow before 3Pm i will get it the next day. free shipping baby!!! they are close to me about 1.5hr away. I like their service.

now....what kind of material Baron's pulley made off ??? steel like kawi ? or aluminum like SW ?? also i have to call my mac to see how much they charge to put it on when i get it.
anyone have idea how much did you pay for installation ?
Thats a good price. The barons is made of steel vs SW is an aluminum alloy (which is just as strong with the new alloy). I would have gone with the Barons if it had been available especially for the price.

Good luck.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #22
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
You could look to buy a belt tension tool. They are fairly inexpensive and good to have around. Down on the side of the belt guard you'll find a small window with markings. Using the tension gauge tool you deflect (push up) on the belt with 10 lbs of force and should have a deflection of approx.4mm. Once you start you'll get it. Then you start adjusting the tension using the two axle bolts to the rear of the wheel. Make small adjustments 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time, keeping the axle even on both sides. Just take your time, spin the wheel after each adjustment to make sure the belt is aligned in the rear pulley and the tension has been evenly distributed.

Thats a good price. The barons is made of steel vs SW is an aluminum alloy (which is just as strong with the new alloy). I would have gone with the Barons if it had been available especially for the price.

Good luck.
Thanks for the write up. first...i dont have tesion tool. and 2nd i dont have jack for bike. i cant really check if the wheel run freely and i cant adjest the tension when the bike is on the ground......so i guess i have to take it to professional this time....my first time. i hate it but i have to do it right.

another thing...i thought you have the baron pulley....not the Sw.
now i have to do another reaserch for the baron one see hows the reviews came out.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #23
Collinba

Garage

I had the dealer change my front pully. I didn't want to hassle with the belt tension and tracking myself. Cost be $65 and the pully has worked flawless since I picked it up (~1000 miles).
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
I had the dealer change my front pully. I didn't want to hassle with the belt tension and tracking myself. Cost be $65 and the pully has worked flawless since I picked it up (~1000 miles).
Ah...nice...good to hear this.
I saw other guy have it done for 36 dollar, but he also said 60 per hr labor....so i wonder how much he paid total. but i will ask around my local shop to see how much.....and i also did a reasrch to see hows baron's front pulley. every reviews i find are good.....so far.....and they made of steel instead of aluminum alloy somthing like that. and its cheapper....149.00 plus 5% off december special from phat freeshipping.

I'm ordering it on monday !!!! its set!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
evodog

Good news....in los angeles, my machanice charge 85 dollar, labor plus hourley rate.
ordering monday and have it on this week. wish me luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #26
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Good deal Evodog. Sounds like this will be a good path for you. If you are interested in doing more work on your bike, just look for sales at Harbor Freight for tools and a really good bike jack/lift.

BTW, did you get a chance to go to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show? It was packed, but lots of fun checking out all the 2013 models. Plus checking out all the bikes in the parking lot.

2010 900 Classic
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #27
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Good deal Evodog. Sounds like this will be a good path for you. If you are interested in doing more work on your bike, just look for sales at Harbor Freight for tools and a really good bike jack/lift.

BTW, did you get a chance to go to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show? It was packed, but lots of fun checking out all the 2013 models. Plus checking out all the bikes in the parking lot.
When was it? Damn it I was working all day today. And now I stock at my wife's company holiday party. She still drinking and I'm just here wondering when can I put my pulley on and take a span.......sigh so many thing I want to do to her....not her....lol
Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
When was it? Damn it I was working all day today. And now I stock at my wife's company holiday party. She still drinking and I'm just here wondering when can I put my pulley on and take a span.......sigh so many thing I want to do to her....not her....lol
Its this weekend, and still going on until 5pm today, if you get the chance to go. If not it will be here next year. Its an annual show this time of year.

2010 900 Classic
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
jorge

Evodog: Let us know how the front pulley from Baron's works out for you. I am interested in doing the same thing myself. I plan on starting with the front pulley and then maybe the rear. I have a mc jack and found out how to make a belt tension gauge so I will be set. Cheers.
jorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge View Post
Evodog: Let us know how the front pulley from Baron's works out for you. I am interested in doing the same thing myself. I plan on starting with the front pulley and then maybe the rear. I have a mc jack and found out how to make a belt tension gauge so I will be set. Cheers.
nice , you have all the tools. well, there are lots people did their reviews here for baron's front pulley and all are good reviews compare to scootwork is like 50/50...if you are lucky...lol

so i went with baron's.

one tip for you!!! go to scootworks and get their installation instruction for the front pulley. baron's dont have it. its same thing just different name.
it tells you every little detail that you need to do.

good luck with installation
Advertisement