Before you buy a Motorcycle... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > New Riders

Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
RBS2

Garage

My wife started on a Rebel 250 and after 300 miles traded it in for a 750 Shadow Spirit. She also thought it would be a big enough bike for what she wanted, commuting to work and crusing around the neighbourhood. After a few commutes to work she realized it didn't have enough power when she wanted it, such as passing on the highway. My 900 was and still is my first bike. After about 6 months I'm already looking at an upgrade, but not because of the size, more so for amenities. I'd prefer to have a bagger, like a Vaquero. I could always go the poor-mans route and convert my 900 into a bagger, but we'll see!
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
carthadys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
My wife started on a Rebel 250 and after 300 miles traded it in for a 750 Shadow Spirit. She also thought it would be a big enough bike for what she wanted, commuting to work and crusing around the neighbourhood. After a few commutes to work she realized it didn't have enough power when she wanted it, such as passing on the highway. My 900 was and still is my first bike. After about 6 months I'm already looking at an upgrade, but not because of the size, more so for amenities. I'd prefer to have a bagger, like a Vaquero. I could always go the poor-mans route and convert my 900 into a bagger, but we'll see!
Saddle bags look awesome and cost less than a new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
AZPoseur

The VN 900 Classic LT comes with both saddle bags and windscreen. Without those, I would not have gotten it. I bought saddle bags for the Rebel, also a necessity. I also bought a windscreen "purse" for my Vulcan. It gets used constantly. Saddle bags for your Vulcan should not exceed $ 300, for pretty nice ones.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
pcarrell

I started out on a Suzuki TC90 back in the 70's. Rode that for a summer, then got a Honda 550SS. There were no motorcycle safety courses back then. After a while on the Honda I did the whole Harley thing for a couple of decades. I quit riding for a few years, then picked up my 01 Drifter 1500 and haven't looked back.

If a safety course would have been available I would have taken it, and I recommend it to new riders. From there, find a smaller bike that can handle you for a while and get comfortable with it. When the time comes to move up, take test rides on the ones you're looking at.
"Nadine", My 2001 Drifter 1500
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Phil in Maine

Garage

I bought my bike without ever gaving been on one towards tge end of last year. A friend did the test ride and rode it to my house after. I spent the late fall and so ring catching up on all the maintenance since it was an old bike. Took the MSF course in the later spring and finally got to ride the bike I had already spent so much time with. The GS450 was a great first bike, relatively nimble and quick enough to be entertaining. Stop light to stop light it was as fast if not slightly faster than my friends volusia 800. Unfortunately the seat and riding position were perfect at bothering a back probkem I have and I would be in a fair amount of pain after 40 miles. I sucked it up though and took it for a few multi hundred mile rides.

The nice thing about starting with a smaller bike is that they are very easy to sell and if its older you should get what you paid for it. So there isnt much risk. Plus you can get some wrenching experience with a bike you wont be scared to touch.

The vn800b I have now only cost me 600 more than I sold the GS for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Phil in Maine; 12-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Phil in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Moving up in size must be some kind of disease. I've only had my 500 for about three months and am perfectly happy with the bike and the power (don't do interstates yet). But that 900 looks soooo nice.....
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
pcarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
Moving up in size must be some kind of disease. I've only had my 500 for about three months and am perfectly happy with the bike and the power (don't do interstates yet). But that 900 looks soooo nice.....
Ahhh, I see the infection is already starting to set in...........
"Nadine", My 2001 Drifter 1500
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
I am perfect example of that. Where do I go now. I am almost out of options in the "Moving Up" aspect . Gonna have to give up the kaw and go to a Triumph Rocket III. Not really. I like the V2K and the most satisfied I have been with a bike ever.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Pappyman

After having not ridden a bike for over 40 years I decided I wanted to start again. Took the MSF course and loved it. Was looking for a Valkyrie but was steered to a smaller bike by the crew in the Valkyrie forums. Started looking for something around the 900 range. Ended up buying the Vulcan 1600. Was intimidated by the overall weight but I got used to it quickly. Now......I wish I would have bought the Valkyrie to start with! Not much diff in weight and the Valk has a lower center of gravity.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
jc33

I started with the MSF course which is free in IL. Got the bug and ended up buying a 94 Yamaha Virago 535 which was a perfect starter bike. I put 600 miles on that and wanted a bike that was a little faster and fit me better. The 2000 VN800B actually is easier to handle and more comfortable than the Virago. Keep in mind you should get a bike that fits you, a bike that is too small for you will be hard to handle in strong winds
jc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement