Anyone brew or into home audio? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Non-motorcycle Discussions > The Lounge (Off Topic)

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
knightrider

I have a Walmart CD player in my living room, think it cost $50.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
I really need to find a way to turn my cd's in to audio files.
I used iTunes, but I'm sure there's plenty of free CD Ripping software out there.

It was fairly easy. When I had nothing to do or was watching TV or something I'd just stick a disk in the drive, it would rip the CD, identify the album and track names automatically, and beep when it's done. I just had to wake up long enough to put in the next CD.

Saves space too, because now I can just put these boxes of CD's in the attic. Like you, I have quite a lot.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I used iTunes, but I'm sure there's plenty of free CD Ripping software out there.

It was fairly easy. When I had nothing to do or was watching TV or something I'd just stick a disk in the drive, it would rip the CD, identify the album and track names automatically, and beep when it's done. I just had to wake up long enough to put in the next CD.

Saves space too, because now I can just put these boxes of CD's in the attic. Like you, I have quite a lot.
The issue with that is the sound quality. Though in this day and age I could probably just copy the entire WAV file since storage now is so cheap. Unfortunately I dont really have a computer other than a cheap netbook.

I think it might just be easier to track down another mega changer and fill it up. I have had a 400 disc one for a bit over 10 years and its been flawless.

I also have 300 or 400 vinyl albums as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

The latter, yes. I absolutely love quality audio. Not blown out lows or screechy highs, but nice, warm, flawless music. Nothing like listening to classical music recorded in a surround sound FLAC format!

I've been incredibly surprised with a set of sherwood sattelites I have right now on my surround sound setup (being driven by a Pioneer home theater unit). They are in a dark oak cabinet, one woofer and one tweeter except for the center channel which has two of each. Truly fantastic sound. Coupled with a 10" Powered subwoofer (also sherwood), just awesome sound!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
The issue with that is the sound quality. Though in this day and age I could probably just copy the entire WAV file since storage now is so cheap. Unfortunately I dont really have a computer other than a cheap netbook.

I think it might just be easier to track down another mega changer and fill it up. I have had a 400 disc one for a bit over 10 years and its been flawless.

I also have 300 or 400 vinyl albums as well.

Actually, there is a great AND cheap solution to that. Rip the audio with iTunes, all of it, then turn on iTunes Match. It's a $25/year service. Once you've enabled it, and it has 'completed' matching, DELETE all of the music off of your computer. THEN, re-download it all. iTunes will have uploaded any rips you have that they don't have, but if they DO have it, rather than sending you back your rip, they'll send you their 256kbps lossless file!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
whoaru99
Top Contributor

If you have the CDs/originals to rip there is no point to using the iTunes Match service because if you have the original you can rip to any format you want...lossless or lossy, uncompressed or squished like fly under a swatter.

As I understand it, iTunes Match will return a 256kbps AAC file and while certainly much better than some low bitrate MP3 of questionable origin, AAC is not a lossless format therefore I wouldn't recommend it for masters or archival purposes.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Phil in Maine

Garage

I ended up tracking down another 400 disc sony changer identical to the one I have. Actually the guy sold me 2 of them for $50 for both of them. Im not quite sure what to do with the other one. I may just keep it as a spare.

The players are quite nice and connect to each other.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Players are great, but man it's slick to have those files on computer. Just be sure to back up your files.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Phil in Maine

Garage

I have a fair amount of music on the computer from back when I was illegally downloading entire discographies. I just never intergrated my audio systems with a computer.

Any time I have tried the result has been awful. Electrostatic speakers dont play well with poor sources.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
whoaru99
Top Contributor

I'd agree, in general, but a lot is contingent on how it's done. If you just take analog line out from an inexpensive sound card yeah, it can be not so good. However, with the relative plethora of outboard DACs these days it's not too expensive to get some high quality sound from a computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement