Memphis shade windshield? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
steve900c

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Steve, You may want to think about going with some lowers. I added some home made lowers and it nearly eliminated the head buffeting (had the MS Speed Demon windshield at the time), and now with the Batwing, I didn't even notice any headbuffeting last night when I test rode with the new fairing. Pics of my lowers attached.
Bosco -- I've been following the other "homemade lowers" threads for a while now and ones like yours look great. The problem is that the 900 Custom doesn't have the chrome covers on the upper forks, so the mounting won't work. Another forum member recently posted a picture of lowers he made for his Custom, where he mounted them to the LOWER fork legs, and so they move with the suspension. I've thought about trying that, but need to find the time to do so.

+1 on the hand protection from the batwing AND the increased volume of the engine noise... I was wondering what everyone on the forum was talking about regarding the front cylinder/fuel injection (?) "ticking" until I put the batwing on and then, "Oh, so THAT'S the noise everyone's talking about!" :-)
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
Bosco -- I've been following the other "homemade lowers" threads for a while now and ones like yours look great. The problem is that the 900 Custom doesn't have the chrome covers on the upper forks, so the mounting won't work. Another forum member recently posted a picture of lowers he made for his Custom, where he mounted them to the LOWER fork legs, and so they move with the suspension. I've thought about trying that, but need to find the time to do so.
I was sitting here trying to think of a way to mount the lowers just above your lower triple tree. What if you used a pair of P-Clamps (for strength & stability) above the triple tree, then mount to the P-Clamps a length of flat aluminum stock (1" - 1.25" wide) maybe 6" in length to give you a platform to mount plexiglass lowers. Memphis Shades mounts theirs similarly (their's are $57 for the pair). Here a link with the picture.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/135/13718/DPITEM/Cruiser-Motorcycle-Windshield-Mounting-Hardware-Memphis-Shades-Lowers-Hardware.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA135&WT.mc_ID=10012& esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=1 3718&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLur0tbAibQCFcN_Qgodi1QA_w

Maybe it will spark an idea. Hard for me as I don't have a custom sitting in front of me while I try and design / fabricate a bracket.

Don't know if I helped or added confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memphis_Shades_Lowers.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	14517  

2010 900 Classic

Last edited by bosco; 12-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
steve900c

Thanks for the link to the image bosco -- I'd been having a hard time figuring out what the MS clamps would look like (they don't have an image on their web site.) I like your ideas for mounting home-made lowers. I've been imagining something similar, but need to find the time to try out the ideas.

I actually have an email out to MS to check the compatibility of their lowers with the batwing with their add-on wind deflectors. With the batwing, the turnsignals can't be moved at all, and they clamp to the forks right where the MS clamps appear to go. WE'll see what MS says when they get back to me!
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

They are good about responding. I was communicating with them when I first ordered my trigger lock brackets. I remember it was pretty quick. I am sure it all fits together very well.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement