Walmart Oil Filter - Page 18 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Oil and Lubrication

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #171
TX1677095

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.

So an e-mail notification arrives in my in-box with the title, "Walmart Oil Filter," and I get all excited. I mean, it's a dead-thread resurrection, so, obviously, someone has finally found a source of my beloved SuperTech oil filters or, at the very least, they are reporting that WalMart has announced that due to overwhelmingly popular demand, the SuperTech oil filter factory (surely there is/was a factory dedicated to the manufacturing of these superb pieces of automotive and motorcycle engineering) has, much like this thread, been resurrected.

But, no! It's a trick! Look away! It's simply one more complaint about another instance of poor dealer service. As if that's actually some kind of rare occurrence!?

C'mon, people, for the love of Willie G., let's try to keep this hallowed thread pure. If it doesn't directly relate to the revered, respected, reliable, robust, remarkable, righteous, rockin' SuperTech oil filter, then...oh, never mind, I am simply too deflated to care and I still don't know what to use for filter medium come my next oil change, which is all-too-quickly approaching.

A sad day this is.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
TX1677095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #172
KenDawg
Top Contributor

...Still waiting for a verified case of Vulcan engine failure directly linked to non-oem filters (Fram, Super-Tech, etc...) or non motorcycle specific oil, such as Rotella. Until that happens....it's just arguing over apples and oranges.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #173
AZPoseur

First of all, using an inferior filter or oil probably will not lead to a sudden engine failure. On the other hand, the wrong oil can lead to serious clutch problems. Since that is not an engine failure it does not matter?

Some people are just too invested in pushing cheap and/or Chinese junk on others and too into getting offended because others won't fall for the cheaper is better line.

I use top of the line oil and filters in all my internal combustion engines. I also change my oil and filters too often. If that makes me a troll, good. If someone objecting to others being told cheap junk is not the best choice for their maintenance choices, or toaster choices, or whatever, makes them a troll, then I am a troll and proud of it.

As for me and my house, we will use quality.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #174
TX1677095

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
...Still waiting for a verified case of Vulcan engine failure directly linked to non-oem filters (Fram, Super-Tech, etc...) or non motorcycle specific oil, such as Rotella. Until that happens....it's just arguing over apples and oranges.
BLASPHEMER!
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #175
DESERT ANGEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
Hi Ponch,
I've been burned too many times buying things other than groceries from Wally World. As far as filters, if you've had no problems then I would keep getting them there. Just saying, I know how Walmart squeezes major manufactures ( Levis, General Electric etc) into putting their names on products that aren't up to standards so I am always hesitant to buy from them but I guess that's another topic for another forum lol...hope all is well, ride safe!

just like the Fords made in Mexico people think they are buying made in America
Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #176
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT ANGEL View Post
just like the Fords made in Mexico people think they are buying made in America
It's not just Ford by any means. (As a matter of fact I read the other day they rank among the top in 'percentage of american made' or whatever). Chrysler, General Motors, it's all Mexico, Canada, and even China for some components now.

The sad truth is, if you want a bonafide American car, built and assembled here by American workers with American made parts and American engines, then you'll be shopping for a Hyundai, a Honda, or a Toyota. A law passed in the 80's requires manufacturers to label all vehicles sold in the US with the percentage of parts that were sourced in the United States, and where it had final assembly. My mom has a Honda sedan that is 86% American parts and assembled in Ohio. My GM nor Ford sedan's I own are anywhere near that...

Oh and the number 1 most American made car of 2012? Toyota Avalon. Number 3 is the Honda Accord. Number two is a Chevy... but, it's a 15 passenger van sold to fleet customers. (Actually Toyota has a vehicle that is 95% American sourced parts but they assemble it in Canada and then ship it back down here... how does that make sense? LOL.)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-22-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #177
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
Wow, you really are on some kind of crusade to convince the world that the exorbitant price you pay for a simple filter is justified, aren't you?

In any event, you conveniently left this out of your quote above,"[T]he quality of Super Tech filters is high and few complaints have been lodged."

And to paraphrase you, where's the proof that anything you're quoting is true? it just sounds like a bunch of opinion to me. Heck, the author himself states, "It is difficult to compare the high-end WIX filter to Walmart's Super Tech simply because side-by-side comparisons have not been done. While SAE J806 tests prove the pricey WIX oil filters are able to keep filtering longer than the leading national brand, the J806 tests are merely the required filter test and not the most accurate." But, of course, you conveniently left that part out, too.

My references were to a site run by an engineer, one who is doing post-graduate work in theoretical physics no less, who did the research (theoretical physicists do a lot of that), then used his expertise to make educated assessments, and then make recommendations based upon those educated assessments.

I am sorry that your pet filter didn't make it to his recommended list. Perhaps you can contact the author and ask him why (although my strong suspicion is that you've already given him a stern lecture, too).

In the interim, you, of course, are free to dispute his and others' empirical findings, along with those of the actual users of the filters, continue to spend (and/or waste) your money any way you wish, and continue your crusade.

As for me, some times good enough is simply good enough, especially when "good enough" is backed by abundant evidence, first-hand and otherwise, so I, too, am done arguing with someone who appears to be simply attempting to justify their own additional, albeit needless, expense (Harley owners do this a lot).

Ride safely.
+1

Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #178
TX1677095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
But where is the SuperTech filter in all of this? Oh, the huge manatee!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #179
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
But where is the SuperTech filter in all of this? Oh, the huge manatee!
+1 ................ You're right! Totally forgot!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #180
Comanche

Garage

Last one for good measure.

Notice his ingenious adaptive use of a bandsaw! That's an accident waiting to happen! Hahaha!

Last edited by Comanche; 12-08-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement