Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vaquero front end wobble

26K views 67 replies 27 participants last post by  stringt 
#1 ·
Hey guys I know this has been covered before but I need some serious input. I have a 2011 vaq and had mich comm II put on at 6400 miles sence then I have had wobble in the front end 35 to 60 cruz on or desell. if I take my hands off the bars for 5 sec it starts to wobble if I did not grab the bars I would end up wrecking. I'v heard all I need to about dont take your hands off the bars it still maens someting is wrong. Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing it. The shop that put the tires on says steering head bearings need to be replaced with tappered bearings. Thats hard for me to belive just becase I changed the tires I need new bearings any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tryed different air presure doesn't seem to help has dlna beeds in the tires a dealer said the back tire is a different size that stock could cause it. Thats all I know Thanks Guys

#2 ·
40 PSI in the front mostly eliminated that problem in my '09 Voyager. I am running E3 on front and American Elite on the rear. This is assuming the steering head bearings and wheel balance are OK.

#3 ·
It's just too easy to say " well steering head bearings need to be replaced". It's such a cop out. My bike is over 3 years old with about 14000 miles. Yes I've had the wobble sometimes when road conditions are just right or back when the tire was well worn it seemed to do it more. As soon as I put a new tire on it was gone. Sometimes on certain roads around here just cause it to wobble. I am a rare one that does not believe these bearings are causing it. I have checked the front end for looseness without taking it apart. It is in fine shape. These bearings like the belt will last for years to come.I have read post where guys were having problems like that with their new COMM ll tires.
So I'm just saying unless it wasn't assembled properly from mama KAW (unlikely), it won't be the bearings. Besides if the steering head bearings was so wore out I believe you would hear & feel it in that area. I'm sure there will be some guys that disagree with me.

#4 ·
Hey IL_Vaq, if you have access to a bike jack, get it of the ground and see whats going on. There is nothing wrong with the steering bearing, thats a near new bike! lol, sounds like the shop did not install the wheel rite or left a bearing out or did not do a good balence on the tire. Anyways, get it up off the ground and have a friend firmly hold the handle bars, and you grab the front and rear of the tire and check for a loose fit by moving it back and forth. Next spin it as fast as you can while looking for un-eveness in the distance of the contact part of the tire to the rim. Hopefully at this point you should be able to see the problem. If nothing after this, then i say spend 70 bux and take it to a Kawi dealership and have it checked out. If they cant duplicate the problem they usally will not charge you.

good luck!

#5 ·
I've read a couple of reviews about the Commander II where bike owners have experienced wobbling but don't know if it had any thing to do with the tire. I'm putting one on the front my Nomad shortly so I will let the forum know if I notice anything.

On a side note if you are running a car tire on the rear, I have noticed a tendency for the bars to wobble slightly at certain speeds if I don't have a grip on them for so long. I think it has to do with the the slight sway of the sidewalls. I've noticed that increasing the PSI usually reduces it.

#7 ·
Well went and alked to the shop owner and he said if the berings don't fix the problem which he says he belives 99.9% thats whats wrong he will replace the front tire for free and hunt till he finds the promlem. I replied he will get the tire for free he is only out the labor to install it. And I wanted him toinstall my pcv for free and he agreed. hope all works out ok will let you know next week an't do it till then. Thanks for the help

#8 ·
I tried an E3 on the front and didn't like it after some miles were on it. Put the Excedra Max on the front and the bike is stable. I did service my bearings at 30,000 miles and there was no sign of wear.

#9 ·
Well guys just got off the phone with michlin tire company and the person on the phone said the commander II has not been tested on vulcan newer than2006 and was not recommended for the vaquero so proble not the nomad or voyager. So if the bearings do not fix it i'm sol and back to the old bridgestones. Hope bearings fix the problem.

#10 ·
I never thought to check the Michelin website, so I did it today and sure enough, the newer Kawasaki's are not listed at all.

#12 ·
"It's a fine time to tell me Loucile"..lol. I put the Com II on my voyager and it wobbles as well. I am darkside with the Altamax and have tweaked till I have it rideable. In a left curve, its fine no squirrely motion, but right turn and it wants to wobble. Riding straight, it would wobble if I let it go.

I think Mich needs to get with the program or buy these sucka's back.

#13 ·
The lady told me i was sol on getting a new tire because its not approved for our bikes same ply and load range should work. But I'm trying new steerings head bearings the shop owner said if that did not fix it he would replace tire or what ever it takes to fix the problem. Mich tire on back is different size changed rake angle so might need to adj your steering baerings I will let everyone that wants to know how it turns out. Goes in shop monday he told me if bearings dont fix it he will install my pcv for free will find out if his word is good or not. Wish me luck guys Thanks.

#14 ·
Go with the Excedra Max on the front. Good mileage and works well without wobble. If the rear tire is a little larger and you want to keep the stock trail you could put a shorter shock on the bike or set the preload to less PSI so the bike sits lower when you are on it.

#16 ·
VERY Interesting thread. I'm having these same symptoms on my '03 Meanstreak w/ ~21,000 on it. AND, I have had Michelin Comm II's on for a few months now. Both tires are oversized, 120/90 front/ 200/55 rear, air pressure checked regularly. BUT, I didn't have the issues when the tires were 1st. installed. I had a great ride this summer from SW Ohio to mid-Michigan w/ no problems.
It started after they had been on for a few months. I also have what I describe as a "super power steering" feeling ONLY in the early mornings(I work nights). It feels like your following a semi all the time until the day warms. During the rest of the day it rides normally. I've also had 4 occaisions when turning right(normal riding, not hard) that the front end felt like it wanted to slide out. While I'm down for winter I had planned to replace stem bearings & front wheel bearings. The bike will soon be 10yrs old I thought it might be time?? I'll hold off for a while & watch this thread closely. Good Luck to us...

#18 ·
I run a dual compound Briggstone rear tire on the front of my Meanstreak (reversed) and I get no wobble. I rebuilt a 05-Sportster and good G_D it was dangerous. Tried a lot of stuff to make it quit wanting to high speed wobble. The solution was the fattest front tire possible which is where I learned to use a fat rear on the front. By the way, RAKE, (the angle your front forks project forwards or backwards) +/- determines how fast your bike turns with what effort. There is a trade off for comfort and the closer the fork tube is to vertical the scarrier it handles at speed. So with more rubber on the pavement the harder it is for the forks/front end to wander around. ALSO in a high speed wobble...PUSH-PUSH...on the handle bars to control it till you slow down out of the occillations !

#19 ·
Had the Michelin's installed today and rode home on the freeway. Took it up to 80 mph and smooth as silk, no problems. When taking the bike to the shop the rear end felt loose on the freeway, kinda wondering around a bit. Nothing like that now, real happy and we'll see as the miles go by. Thanks for your pm today Ray.

#20 ·
On Saturday I checked the rebound and shock pressure on the Vaq and today the wife and I set out to have some lunch, on the way back I thought I would test this wobble, well twice it was so bad, had I not placed my hands back on the bars we would have went down for sure. The wobble was so violent and so fast my wife could feel it sitting on the back, one time a fluke, the next time convinced me I should be looking for new tires. At least on the front for sure.
This all happened on deceleration, slowing down hitting 30-20 mph. hands just 1-2" above the bars with no pressure on the bars.
All said and done I am convinced a moment at the wrong time hands off, a moments distraction and you'll find some pavement.
High mileage on a tire is not worth, low safety

#21 ·
Front wobble does happen more on decel when the weight balance changes to more weight on the front tire. Braking at low speed seems to help stop it. At very high speeds it seems to make it worse.

I have been in pursuit on KZ100P's at about 130 mph and had wobbles start. I would hit the front brake hard and slide up as far as I could on the tank . That always stopped it for me.

Those HD's could never go fast enough to get a high speed wobble...

#22 ·
Dynabeads fixed my wobble

I had a similar issue with my E3s. After replacing the stock front tire with an E3, the bike seemed to wobble, I had lots of grip vibration. I went with the Dynabeads. The ride went to silk - near zero grip vibration and the tires tracked much more evenly. We get some cracks in the road that run the parallel to the direction of travel up here in NH and the bike seemed to grab those before the beads and now it is like they are not even there. I took all the weights off and went with 2 oz in the front and rear.

Perhaps I am masking other problems, but I am happy with the result.

Safe rides!

#23 ·
I ride a 2010 Voyager with 42,000Km and have the same problem. I had a 2005 VTX 1300 and it had the same problem. I like the Voyager but hate this problem. Like the Honda, these bikes should be recalled and repaired. The rode a new 2012 and it had the same problem. If you find out what the fix is, please let me know. Replacing bearings is not cheap.

#24 ·
sounds to me like they designed these bike without enough rake ...... but thats just a guess on my part

#26 ·
Well just got home from the shop where he replaced the steering head bearings and all wobble is gone. When I took it to kaw that guy said it was because I put the wrong size tire on the back bs I said they need adj and he asked how many miles I said 6400miles. He than said regular wear and tear thats maintince work what a load of crap. I have called kaw and I am seanding them the bearings thry look burnt like not enought to starte with. give me a break I'm hopping to get some free stuff from them or some cupons what do you all think. Thanks all B Cope

#27 ·
that is something that should have been repaired under warranty if it has not expired yet.... just curious, did you bring it to the dealer from which you purchased the bike to have it looked at?

#29 ·
Did take it to two different dealers both called the rep who said wrong size tire on rear not stock and would do nothing about it. Talked to the shop I bought my yamaha raider from he has kawsaki also told me to bring it to him for any other problem. He said he could get kawasaki to fix it if he had to lie to them he said their that bad about warrenty work.

#28 ·
I would find another dealer in the future if available... I like the smaller mom and pop dealers as they seem to be more friendly and hungry.

I get a little bit of wobble when I need to air up the front tire. Then it is gone for a while til it needs air again. When it gets about 3-4 psi lower than what I carry in it. Just enough wobble to let you know it is trying but not too sure it wants to.

I don't care if the steering bearings are made out of styrofoam. You would never convince me they were worn out at 6400 miles on a street motorcycle. Loose maybe, but not worn out. Unless they were installed wrong. You would be surprised at how flimsy they are anyway.

But if I had to pay for it, I would replace then with a roller bearing kit. And if you keep them forever like I do, it would never act up from the steering bearings again. Yes they cost more. Last one I did was on my last Gold Wing which was a 97. After 100k miles I had to replace the shock seals and while I had it apart I put in the new steering bearings. It never had a wobble before or after.

I drove a Honda Magna home for a guy once (200 miles) that did not have any bearings in the top end at all. That was interesting. Down the highway it never wobbled or acted up. But when you hit the front brake the bars would jump forward about 2 inches and it would make a very loud clunk...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.