2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT Fast IDLE - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #41
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Big Toe View Post
I have adjusted my idle by turning the black knob on the front( or rt) side of the aircleaner housing
Not the same issue. The fast idle cam overrides the warm idle adjuster (black knob) during start up. In some cases the engine screams when it's just started. This is adjusted by means of the screw on the primary throttle shaft which is only accessable when the throttle is opened fully.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
Aleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
How long do most of you let them warm up before riding? It would seem like a waste to let it warm up for 3+5 min. for a 2+3 min. ride to post office.
I wait until it goes to a slow iddle. No hurry. Ill start the bike a few minutes before Im ready to leave
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
How long do most of you let them warm up before riding? It would seem like a waste to let it warm up for 3+5 min. for a 2+3 min. ride to post office.
I really don't think it will hurt anything to take off after giving it 30 seconds or so to warm up. BUT, the bike will operate more predictably once the fast idle is down.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #44
GWalkaa

Wheres the pictures? Looking to do this on the weekend and quite frankly clueless on the position.
GWalkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #45
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWalkaa View Post
Wheres the pictures? Looking to do this on the weekend and quite frankly clueless on the position.
Open the throttle completely and the screw will be facing down as in the pic. I believe you tighten the screw to bring down the fast idle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fast idle adjusting screw.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	14507  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #46
diamondhill

3/4 of a turn clocwise takes the RPM to about 1600 when engine is cold. I will go 1/4 more to take it down to about 1300 to 1400 RPM. I'm happy with this
diamondhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #47
Project84

I've never worried about this. Hard to believe there is 5 pages worth on the subject!

It's simple for me....

Roll bike into driveway, start the bike. Walk back into garage, begin to gear up for the ride. By time I'm done gearing up and ready to mount the bike it's idling at normal RPM.

Ride on!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #48
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I've never worried about this. Hard to believe there is 5 pages worth on the subject!

It's simple for me....

Roll bike into driveway, start the bike. Walk back into garage, begin to gear up for the ride. By time I'm done gearing up and ready to mount the bike it's idling at normal RPM.

Ride on!
I doubt there would even be one page if the dealer did their job when they prep the bike for the new customer.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #49
OAT MAN
Premium Member

Garage
Default Fast IDLE?

No Dealer but the PVO showed me the fast idle. Said he normaly wait till slow idle to get in the WIND but it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and ride. So ditto, start the bike, gear up, mount at idle and ride!

Now I more interested know in how to validate the true idle is set to about 1000 rpms +/-50.. NEW THREAD
OAT MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #50
Olddoger

Garage
Default High Idle Cure for Vulcan Classic 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Not the same issue. The fast idle cam overrides the warm idle adjuster (black knob) during start up. In some cases the engine screams when it's just started. This is adjusted by means of the screw on the primary throttle shaft which is only accessable when the throttle is opened fully.
Well I got tired of the long high idle and looked into it. I found the high idle cam and decided to modify it to fit my needs. Since I live in a warm climate I didn't need the lengthy warm up. The pictures reflect 1)the location of the high idle cam, 2) the cam off the bike before modification done, I took the cam off and held a fitted washer of the same size over it and marked the cam with a magic marker so that I know where the low idle mark is at any point. I also marked the high idle point before removing the cam (right upper corner of cam). 3) the cam after modified. I ground the cam off at different increments until i got the cold idle rpm I wanted making sure I didn't violate the black marked area. As long as you do it slowly you can't mess it up, and if you do, I can't imagine that cam would cost more than $1.00.

Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131129_132244_SW_Eyerly_Ave[1].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	51882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131129_132655_SW_Eyerly_Ave[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	51890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131129_133510_SW_Eyerly_Ave[1].jpg