Rotella T6 Oil - motorcycle specific? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
09vulcan

Rotella = $5.25 per quart
quality motorcycle oil = $8.00 - $12.00 per quart

Rotella = 2500 - 3000 miles and all used up in my bike. Shifts funky, clutch is funky, engine is noisey.
Quality motorcycle oil = 6000 - 7500 miles and still useable in my bike.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Spock View Post
I use Rotella synthetic T6 5w40 in all my bikes. Its great oil. Even better for the price.

Rotella is developed for diesel engines. Its designed to resist the higher journal bearing forces developed from the higher compression. This makes it better suited for use in motorcycles that use engine oil in the transmission. Similar to bike specific oil.

I also like the lighter weight on cold startups. It helps to minimize wear at this most critical time.

The JASO MA rating is for use in a wet clutch. Also important for motorcycles.

Standard automotive oils breakdown faster than motorcycle oils or diesel oils because of the high film shear forces in a motorcycle transmission and they typically are not wet clutch rated.

Nothing wrong with bike OEM oil. I believe rotella is better and 2/3 the cost.

My $0.02
I couldn't have put it into words any better. Agree completely. I switched long ago & havent had any problems at all. Bike shifts smooth & runs like new.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

only thing we know for sure about any so called Mc specific oil is the viscosity and that it is JASO MA rated..... no one even knows who makes the OEM oils.....one thing we know for sure is that it is not made by kawasaki !!! for all we know kawi OEM oil could actually be shell rotella t !!!! the biggest argument some people use aginst it is because the transmission uses the same oil and it dont hold up well to the gears..... well ever look inside a large diesel engine? gear driven camshafts, gear driven fuel pump, gear driven oil pump, gear driven power steering pump....lotsa gears in those big ol cats, cummins, and detroit diesel engines !!!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Dadinator
Top Contributor

Been using Rotella dino and have switched to Rotella synthetic.

No issues or funkiness. Change approximately 5K. I go approx. 8K per year and have 32.5K on the bike.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Kyrocket
Top Contributor

If we're comparing apples to apples here the length won't be a problem in the V2K as it's mounted horizontally instead of vertically. I use one longer than OEM and the only issue I've seen thus far is it's a little harder to get my wrench in there.
Kyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
brijesh600

thanks for all the advise fellas.. but i finally decided to stick to "quality motorcycle oil" and Wix filter. It cost me about $41 after tax for a 4L container. I already had another 2L of the same at home from what was left after i changed oil in my zx10R. the more i read about Rotella on the oil and lubrication section, the more i was leaning towards OEM oil. I just dont wanna go cheap on my baby !!
brijesh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh600 View Post
thanks for all the advise fellas.. but i finally decided to stick to "quality motorcycle oil" and Wix filter. It cost me about $41 after tax for a 4L container. I already had another 2L of the same at home from what was left after i changed oil in my zx10R. the more i read about Rotella on the oil and lubrication section, the more i was leaning towards OEM oil. I just dont wanna go cheap on my baby !!
just remember that a lot of what is in the oil and lubrication areas is hearsay assumptions and missinformation... and since we have no idea who actually makes that "OEM oil" one is only making the assumption that it is of better quality.... For all we know that OEM oil could very well be nothing other than rotella t in a kawasaki bottle at triple the price !!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
09vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
only thing we know for sure about any so called Mc specific oil is the viscosity and that it is JASO MA rated..... no one even knows who makes the OEM oils.....one thing we know for sure is that it is not made by kawasaki !!! for all we know kawi OEM oil could actually be shell rotella t !!!! the biggest argument some people use aginst it is because the transmission uses the same oil and it dont hold up well to the gears..... well ever look inside a large diesel engine? gear driven camshafts, gear driven fuel pump, gear driven oil pump, gear driven power steering pump....lotsa gears in those big ol cats, cummins, and detroit diesel engines !!!
It's not the gears any one is concerned about (well at least those who know anything about how and why) it's the friction between the clutch plates that's the issue.

Back in 1977 I knew a guy who ran out of gas a couple miles from home on a -20*F night. Dumped a liter of everclear and four cans of Pabst in his gas tank and drove home.

Moral of story is: it worked but not approve.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
brijesh600

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
just remember that a lot of what is in the oil and lubrication areas is hearsay assumptions and missinformation... and since we have no idea who actually makes that "OEM oil" one is only making the assumption that it is of better quality.... For all we know that OEM oil could very well be nothing other than rotella t in a kawasaki bottle at triple the price !!

Agreed! but it seems that a few of the riders have complained about only getting about 1.5k out of Rotella, before shifting gets clunky, now this is could be a person to person basis, but i havent heard anything going wrong with the OEM oils so far, so it is a safer bet! I dont now who the OEM oils suppliers are, and i do agree the markup on the oils that the dealerships supply are ridiculous!! BUt i guess for now that is the price i pay for a lil peace of mind! I am just new to this bike and i havent tinkered much with it to be be comfortable enough to try any thing risky unless i know for sure.
brijesh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
09vulcan

You don't need OEM oil to have a motorcycle specific oil. Most all name brand and even some store brand make Motorcycle specific oils.

Just to name a few:
Castrol
Mobil
Amsoil
Redline
Royal purple, I think.
There's more to choose from but you get the picture.

I highly doubt OEM is Rotella since Rotella doesn't make a Motorcycle specific oil, not even sure Shell does and that's who makes Rotella.
Advertisement