New owner with a wiring question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
JamesRS2007

Garage
Default New owner with a wiring question

Hello all, I just purchased a 1995 500 Vulcan and am enjoying it VERY much. What a blast to ride, especially out here in the So Cal Deserts. However, i am having problem that I would appreciate a little help with. None of the blinkers work. I pulled the connector coming off of the switch and ohmed it out and found two of the pins that ground out when I set the switch to either left or right, so the switch is probably good. My next test will be to trace power coming into the switch, however this is my dilemma. I don't have a wiring diagram and down want to start tearing into the harness and undo all that beautiful factory wrapping if I don't have to. I plan on getting a manual in the near future, but at this time I was wondering if anybody had a pic or pdf of the wiring for a 95 Vulcan. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

James
JamesRS2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRS2007 View Post
Hello all, I just purchased a 1995 500 Vulcan and am enjoying it VERY much. What a blast to ride, especially out here in the So Cal Deserts. However, i am having problem that I would appreciate a little help with. None of the blinkers work. I pulled the connector coming off of the switch and ohmed it out and found two of the pins that ground out when I set the switch to either left or right, so the switch is probably good. My next test will be to trace power coming into the switch, however this is my dilemma. I don't have a wiring diagram and down want to start tearing into the harness and undo all that beautiful factory wrapping if I don't have to. I plan on getting a manual in the near future, but at this time I was wondering if anybody had a pic or pdf of the wiring for a 95 Vulcan. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

James
If you can't find anyone on here to do that for you which I doubt you will not find anyone but just in case you can't just go to a Kawasaki dealer's service department and have them make a copy for you off a copier.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Have you check the blinker relay yet? Sounds obvious, but how about the fuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
markstep

James, sent you a PM
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
JamesRS2007

Garage

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I checked the flasher and the fuses, always good to test the basics first.

I think I have a diagram with the info from a 1996 Vulcan 500EN, but I think the wiring may be the same. I will keep you guys posted on my troubleshooting endeavor.

James
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

If it's the same as an '06, and if I remember correctly (not at home right now with my wiring diagrams), that circuit is fuse, flasher relay, switch, and then to lamps. Would have to be one of those or a broken wire or bad connector/ground connection somewhere in the circuit. Not likely to be inside a wiring harness. Also not likely, but within the realm of possibility that all the turn lamps are bad.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
JamesRS2007

Garage

Well guys, thanks for the help and support. Found the problem, it was the connector at the flasher relay and the flasher relay itself. Looks like the relay went south at some time and caused some strange oxidation thing to happen inside the crimp connector. I pulled the connector, re-stripped the wire, wire brushed the gunk off of the connector and crimped it back on. Then I opened up the relay box (digital relay) and found the IC inside had blackened the circuit board. Installed a new flasher with the new connector and ta DA! all better now.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
markstep

Congratulations, good find
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement