Clicking Noise when warmed up - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Lobo

Default Clicking Noise when warmed up

OK. 2010 1700 VV with 56,000 miles on it. Keep up on oil changes and all. Just got it back from dealer who did a fix on gear indicator. Now 1500 or so miles later have what I would describe as a lifter sticking noise when warmed up. Temperature gauge at about half way. Ony ideas? Should I just ride until it goes away or blows? Still under warranty for 10 more months. I really don't want to trailer over to dealer to have them say don't worry about it. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Lobo
Rear Speakers
IPOD Connection
Big Thunder Airkit
Marvella's Passenger Highway Pegs
Cobra Trunk Rack
Stebel Airhorn
Dark Side with AVID 195 60 16
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

Well I have that noise also as well as many others on this foruum. Some have even taken off the Thunder Air Kit and went back to the stock set up just to quiet it back down. I believe since so many of us are having this same noise that I believe it's a characteristic of this engine. I definitely have that noise with the slightest load on the engine, but cruising it purrs like a kitten. One forum member said that when he went back to Dino oil from using synthetic oil that the noise went away. I'm even tempted to try that. Anyway it doesn't bother me that much and I believe it's something we may have to live with.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Lobo

Described the symptoms to me mechanic and he stated it was premature detonation and to try a lower grade gas as I run premium. Will try that and see what happens.

Lobo
Rear Speakers
IPOD Connection
Big Thunder Airkit
Marvella's Passenger Highway Pegs
Cobra Trunk Rack
Stebel Airhorn
Dark Side with AVID 195 60 16
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Hey Lobo,
To get rid of premature detonation you need to go up on octane, not down.

I get a warm engine knock at idle; but mine only happens when the engine is very warm. Last tick mark on the gauge.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
tjhfwtx

The fact that it is occurring at higher temps sure sounds like pre-ignition. Timing, mixture, and/or octane rating all come to mind.

Last edited by tjhfwtx; 12-06-2012 at 09:28 AM.
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Oldturer

To me, its definitely coming off the cam as its steady. I have it in the warming up miles and in loading the engine rev. It clears up when fully warm and I use regular with seafoam in every two/three tanks. I also am stock all the way, no add on's.

I took a trip a month back..1200 miles...and twice it stalled as if the key was turned off. It was very brief, split second and continued to run. Anyone having this happen?
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
almsy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldturer View Post

I took a trip a month back..1200 miles...and twice it stalled as if the key was turned off. It was very brief, split second and continued to run. Anyone having this happen?
Yes Oldturer, in the 12,000 miles I've put on my 2011 Voyager, mine has acted just like that at least 2 times, maybe three. All times while cruising at a steady interstate speed. Seems like it just shut off for a second then continued to run normally again. Did concern me at the time, but didn't happen again for months. A 2900 mile trip last spring, it did it once.

2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
22,000 miles and climbing
almsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Oldturer...

Not too long after I got the Voyager, going down our highway with the cruise on. Mine acted like the cruise canceled then jumped back on as I started coasting down and then it kicked back in (like full throttle) until it got to the set speed and it settled there. Has not done it since, and I have no ricky ticks or knocks whatsoever, all stock...... I did have the cam chain rattle noise form 100 miles to 200 miles or so and it went away....

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 12-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement