Memphis shade windshield? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
twp

Garage
Default Memphis shade windshield?

Ok I have a question. I finally ordered the fairing for my bike. Guess it will be a Christmass presnt to me. Ordered the fairing an mounts from Meancycles. With there 5% off an free shipping they were cheaper than anyone else I could find even ebay. Now on to my question. I can decide on a windshield. I like the looks of just the 5'' windshield, I also like the Spoiler Windshield 9''. I think the 9'' might block the wind a little more.
Does anyone have the spoiler 9'' on the bike? if so how do you like it?

Thanks
twp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Richard Kerr
Top Contributor

I went with the 5" originaly get wind riight about the forehead, I'm 5'10", am getting the 9" spoiler for xmas, it should be much better.
Richard Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Just finished installing my MS Batwing, and went with the 9" windshield. Perfect fit... I am just looking over the windshield and the wind blockage (test ride) was great.... I am 6'.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
steve900c

I have the batwing with 9" shield (NOT the new "spoiler" shield), and the accessory wind deflectors, on my 900c. The wind protection for me (5'8", and looking a couple inches above the shield, due to my Mustang seat) is great up to ~60 mph, but after that the buffeting gets pretty bad. I'd been thinking about either lowers, the new spoiler shield, or the Laminar Lip to help with the buffeting.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like the 9" spoiler shield, as my previous experience with a GIVI spoiler-shaped shield on a sport-bike I used to own was that it didn't make too much of a difference with smoothness of the airflow.

Otherwise, I love the look on my Custom! :-)
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
I have the batwing with 9" shield (NOT the new "spoiler" shield), and the accessory wind deflectors, on my 900c. The wind protection for me (5'8", and looking a couple inches above the shield, due to my Mustang seat) is great up to ~60 mph, but after that the buffeting gets pretty bad. I'd been thinking about either lowers, the new spoiler shield, or the Laminar Lip to help with the buffeting.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like the 9" spoiler shield, as my previous experience with a GIVI spoiler-shaped shield on a sport-bike I used to own was that it didn't make too much of a difference with smoothness of the airflow.

Otherwise, I love the look on my Custom! :-)
Steve, You may want to think about going with some lowers. I added some home made lowers and it nearly eliminated the head buffeting (had the MS Speed Demon windshield at the time), and now with the Batwing, I didn't even notice any headbuffeting last night when I test rode with the new fairing. Pics of my lowers attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	14488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	14489  

2010 900 Classic
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Hatchcover

I just added the Memphis Shade Batwing with wind deflectors - 12" shield. I'm 6'0" and see over the shield by a couple inches. Prior to that, I had to sit up slightly to see over my regular MS shield. All and all, the biggest improvement was just adding homemade lowers while using regular MS shield. The only improvement I found so far with the Bat wing, etc. is more wind protection for my hands and hearing the bike engine and exhaust noise. Seems to focus a louder rumble noise back to my helmet. There was no more reduction in wind buffeting after adding the batwing. Passenger did not experience any major change in buffeting.
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

It's interesting you mentioned more engine noise. Thought I was imagining things as I could swear hearing every little noise from the engine. Even the injector tick was louder. Also notice my hands were much warmer behind the Batwing. Looking forward to riding this weekend, even in the cooler weather.

2010 900 Classic
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Hatchcover

I guess that wing operates like a parabolic microphone device (like they use at NFL games)! I actually enjoy the ride more now - sound wise!!
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
I guess that wing operates like a parabolic microphone device (like they use at NFL games)! I actually enjoy the ride more now - sound wise!!
Agreed. Just had to get used to it. I'll take less wind (plus warmer hands & body) anytime. I actually like the sound of my exhaust (full debaffled stock), and I can actually hear my intake sucking in air (when rolling on the throttle). This bike just keeps getting better....

2010 900 Classic
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Pilgrim

I bought the 19" Fats and wound up cutting 6" off the top of it so I could see over it so I guess I have a 13" Fats now. I like the way it turned out. I had to cut out for my road lights also.
In the process of fashioning a set of lowers, I have already cut the Lexan just waiting on the hardware to arrive.
Advertisement