Baggage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Graywalker

Question Baggage

I have a Classic. The bare bike, plus a windshield.

I want something that I can use to transport a few items regularly, but that I can pull off quick when I just want to ride.

I plan on getting a magnetic tank bag and a tail/tunnel bag. I also plan on getting a Sissy bar and some sissy bar backpack luggage. But what about Saddle Bags?

Do I need saddle bags with all the other stuff? Any that I can get that will just fit under the pillion/passenger seat and not need support brackets or anything extra?

Any Day on Two Wheels is Just Better.

Cernunnos protects me, Cerridwyn Inspires me.

Ride for Fun, Have Fun Riding!
_____

Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Dean

Garage

Mine is an 06 1500 Classic and I have the throw across leather bags. I did pull the passenger seat and lace the bags down, but you could just throw the bags over the seat and sit on the yoke I suppose.
I am interested in mounted hard side bags, but that will have to wait a while.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
WEG

Hi Graywalker
I have an 09 1700 Classic as well. Mine came with Kawa leather bags as a promo and I bought a Quick disconnect windshield, so our bikes are pretty similar. The saddlebags are small. My Frog Togs just about fill up one side. I have a Cartech tail bag that I can bungee cord on and it sits on the seat behind me. Holds quite a bit of stuff good for more than a weekend. I don't have a tank bag since I couldn't find one that fit right with the tank gauges and display. I did buy a small magnetic fanny pack size bag that I put on the tank. I usually stick the keys, sun glasses, insurance papers, telephone etc in it and take it with me when I leave the bike of course. Its really handy. As for saddlebags if you need more storage than tail bag and a sissy bar bag (which can be very big) saddlebags will help. I also have heard that saddlebags may be better for bike balance or handling than a large sissy bar bag, but i don't have experience with sissy bar bags. Lots of folks use them so they can't be that bad. I like the looks of the Saddleman TS3200 tail bag, about $80 at Dennis Kirk. They have two models. What I like about the bag is they way it sits low on the seat. I haven't bought one yet, maybe for my trip next summer.
Good luck with your decision.
WEG
WEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

If you get saddle bags, I highly recommend supports. My brother in-law had throw overs on a bike he had without them and the bags were rubbing on the wheel when leaning. Could get ugly quick if it happened to get caught in the wheel. Several co. have quick disconnect bag mounts, but can get pricey, depends on what your after. Hard bags are usually more $$ than soft, but add better protection for contents.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I think Tsukayu makes some quick-release bags for the 900. Spendy, but top notch quality.

The other suggestion would be some throw-over saddlebags. They just pop right over the fender and under the seat. With the easy key-off seat of the 900, it'll only take a couple seconds (and no tools) to get the bags on and off. But if you go with throw-over bags, make sure they are small, and fit well. Like rick pointed out, if they can get into your wheel well when you lean, they don't fit your bike!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Graywalker

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the replies all!

If the tail bag doesn't fit all my needs, then I'll be looking into some quick release supports and saddle bags!

I've got a couple long lean curves on my way to work, so better safe than scrap.

Any Day on Two Wheels is Just Better.

Cernunnos protects me, Cerridwyn Inspires me.

Ride for Fun, Have Fun Riding!
_____
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

I used some no-name el cheapo bags on my Mean Streak with not supports but I was able to tie the bags off and they hit enough parts of the bike that they did not get into the wheel. I also did not ride with them all the time. I got them to throw over when I needed them. I do not recommend going that route but I did. Several companies make quick release saddle bags and supports. (saddelmen, edege, Tsu?? what Romans said, and more). Also after you put a set of bags on a bike you will wonder why did I not do this sooner and then want to upgrade. It contagious, that is what happened to me.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
vulcan 06

I currently ride a vaquero. But a previous bike of mine was the 900 classic. I used the Kuryakin Gran Throwover saddlebags. I found them to be an excellent fit and handled large loads with ease. They go on and off in seconds.

I still have them if you are interested. They are in like new condition.

If you are, just PM me. BTW, my wife is from Jackson and her people are all still there. (I'll give you the relatives price.......)
vulcan 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan 06 View Post
I still have them if you are interested. They are in like new condition.

If you are, just PM me. BTW, my wife is from Jackson and her people are all still there. (I'll give you the relatives price.......)
Uh oh! Relatives and anything to do with them is always on open invitation to trouble! J/K
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
vulcan 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Uh oh! Relatives and anything to do with them is always on open invitation to trouble! J/K
Good point......I guess i should have said that these are the relatives i actually like (at least for short periods of time)!!!!!!!
vulcan 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement