Debaffling VN900 Stock Exhaust - Page 9 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #81
demarcojoe13

I've been told by a gearhead relative of mine that after debaffle you can unplug the battery for an hour or two and the fuel injection computer will reset itself to the new pressure readings. Figure I'll try it, wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this?
demarcojoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #82
jimmy77611

There are no "pressure" sensors on the bike, so it won't do anything. The 900 doesn't have oxygen sensors either. The fuel injection is pretty much preset based on ambient air and engine coolant temperatures. By debaffling, you will reduce backpressure and probably lose a little power. Also the engine will be slightly leaner, but not enough to hurt it.
jimmy77611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #83
captrobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
$100 plus what it costs to ship and they are yours I can dig them out and take pics if you want.
Are these pipes still available? If so, please let me know, I'm interested. Would also need shipping quote to 45459 (Dayton, Ohio)
captrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #84
Chuluun

Just done my partial baffle mod, stopped at the 8-hole stage for now. Eight holes sounds quite different from 4. It's a good sound now; I think rather than a full debaffle I'd go for new pipes eventually, but I'm happy for a while. No perceptible loss of backpressure. It actually feels more torquey but that could just be the deeper sound fooling me into thinking the revs are lower. This was already the best-fuelled bike I've ever owned but now it's even better, there really is not a trace of snatch or lag anywhere in the range in any gear. Well done Kawasaki.

I did get a LOT of popping/backfiring when I went to 8 holes, even when easing off the throttle to change up. It was fun at first but the novelty soon wore off, so I marbled, which left just enough popping to give a bit of character.

One small tip, when you saw off the endplates, do the bottom pipe first. In every video I've seen the guy does the top pipe first, and in every video the bottom one, which is much less visible, is a neater cut. I made the same mistake...
Chuluun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #85
upcountry

Cool

7 holes because I cannot line things up right. LOL
Took about and hour. Punch screen and............holy crickey. No more sewing machine.
upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #86
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

Well this was an awsome thread, was nice to find out how far my bike was debaffled as I bought the bike used, Was having a bad day till I read some of these post that made me laugh and brighten up my day,
Love these forums!!
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #87
Dondada469

I did the first part of my debaffle today, so far so good but I still want deeper sound. I cut back the pipe a couple of inches and drilles some holes (7) with a 9/32 bit. Wasn't sure how big of a bit to use as every how to I read seem to skip out on what bit size they used.
Any input on that?

My next plan is to find someone with a bit extender and drill out the plug. (and after reading what Baitis said maybe drill into the back plate?) If that still doesn't do the trick, try to pop out the who baffle.
Dondada469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #88
Rog_rides_again

Garage

I went as far as punching the thin metal out of the baffle and drilling holes around the outer edge and I am very happy with the sound. No notice in performance just all around nice smooth rumble..
switch blade windshield W/70-q205 mounting kit
backrest
luggage rack
saddle bags-california classic 100 series 7"x18"x11"
part # 55-bm146a
custom world chrome lowers
stock pipes w/baffle drilled and plug removed
mustang vintage wide touring seat #76127
cobra passenger floor boards
front scootworks pulley
Rear scootworks pulley
windshield bag
12 volt power supply
engine guard
Kensun HID headlight kit
Rog_rides_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #89
John_rubino

Default Debaffling VN900 Stock Exhaust

So I did the full debaffle today and when looking into the exhaust I see another plate inside with only what looks like a 1" hole. Behind this plate is the cat. Has anyone drilled out this plate as well? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1363139706.282361.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	19449

Fyi I still need to clean up the metal and put a coat of paint on. Don't judge me lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
John_rubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #90
vulcantom

I knocked mine out with a long punch. it took a little work but it's well worth it. Once i removed it all i cleaned it all up and painted the inside with satin black header paint. if you didn't know any better you would think they came from the factory this way
vulcantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement