Anyone brew or into home audio? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Non-motorcycle Discussions > The Lounge (Off Topic)

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Phil in Maine

Garage
Default Anyone brew or into home audio?

Well since its now December and snow is falling the reality that the bike will be dormant for quite a long time has definitely settled in.

So to keep my mind off that unfortunate reality I was wondering if anyone home brews or is into nicer home audio?

I have been home brewing for almost 5 years now and have been interest in home audio since I was in high school.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Yes. Both.

Been into audio much longer (~30 years) than brewing though (~3 months). Bottled my second batch of brew from a specialty grain extract kit (with my own addition/tweak of a week's worth of Citra dry hopping), an APA, just over a week ago.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yes. Both.

Been into audio much longer (~30 years) than brewing though (~3 months). Bottled my second batch of brew from a specialty grain extract kit (with my own addition/tweak of a week's worth of Citra dry hopping), an APA, just over a week ago.
Cool. I started with extract kits and bottles, its the best way to start out. Now I have a 2 tap kegerator and I brew all grain with a fairly simple batch sparge set up.

What do you have for audio equipment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
whoaru99
Top Contributor

I have quite a bit of audio equipment ranging from inexpensive and lightweight (but I think good) Panasonic SA-XR55 "digital" receiver, to a custom 6L6-based tube amp and Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid tube preamp, to stuff like early 80s M-series Yamaha pre amps and power amps, Marantz and Anthem pre/pros for my HT setup, and some higher end stuff like Forte and Proceed preamps, Audio Research and Mark Levinson power amps, a PassDIY B1 buffer preamp,, MSB Link DAC, Emotiva DAC-1...then on to several different kinds of pro audio amps from Crown and QSC ranging to 700 WPC or more.

Speakers...range from some Altec Bolero 890C, several Definitive Tech models, Paradigm Studio 100s, Thiel CS 3.6, some DIY speakers from a good builder, Jim Holtz, with guidance from Rick Craig of Selah Audio (Focal woofers, Morel mids, Hiquphon tweeters), big JBL pro audio speakers and subs...and a few others in between.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-06-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Phil in Maine

Garage

You certainly have more audio equipment than I do. Currently I have a pair of Martin Logan Vistas, which I love. Driving them is a Cambridge Audio integrated amp. The combo is quite good. For sources, which I have never spent alk tgat muvh money on, I have a sony 400 disc changer and a Pioneer Elite DVD player that I bought becaus ed it also played SACD's and DVD Audio discs which unfortunately never reallt caught on though I do have a few of each. Also there is a Project turntable with a Cambridge Audio phono amp.

In my basement I have a pair of Klipsch kg's with a Pioneer Elite hometheater receiver with an older Duel turnrable as the only source, strange I know. Someday there may be a full blown home theater set up there.

The Martin Logans replaced a pair of Magnepans, yes I have a thing for planer speakers. Though when I was in high school I had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in my bedroom, which was pretty crazy since they took up so much of my room. Those were some pretty "exciting" sounding speakers and I certainly blame them for some of my hearing damage.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
JohnnieB

Living room system: Entry level OPPO CD Player, off the shelf HP computer into a Peachtree Nova integrated amp with onboard DAC pushing a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers. Basement system: Old ADC CD player, Really old Pioneer PL115 turntable, Marantz SR4000 pushing a pair of Polk Audio RT800i's. Other stuff including a pair of Optimus T120's, Sony Receiver, BSR EQ3000 Non of which is being used now. Wish I was super rich because I'd have a lot more audio stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

I used to home brew. Haven't done it in years.

I'm pretty into music. I have three AppleTV's in different rooms that I can stream music and video to. Ripped my entire CD collection onto the computer long ago, just makes everything easier -- not to mention guests can queue up music on the iPad to play throughout the house.

My favorite thing though is these speakers I picked up at Best Buy. Mirage, I think is the brand. They're small. I mean, really small. But wow, do they ever put out some volume...
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Phil in Maine

Garage

I really need to find a way to turn my cd's in to audio files. I have about 600 though so its a bit of a commitment. The other issue is that the Martin Logans really show off any issues with the source, so mp3's usually sound fairly poor. With a good recoding though the speakers are stunning. I am thinking about finding another large cd changer though so j can have them all together and easily playable.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
whoaru99
Top Contributor

MP3 will forever be a lossy compression codec, that's what it is. Some MP3 codecs are much better than others as are high bitrates. With a good codec, like LAME, and a bitrate of 192 or higher, you have to have pretty good ears and a pretty good system to tell the difference.

That said, FLAC is a lossless compression format so what comes out is just the same as what went in. The only problem with FLAC is that it may not be compatible with some portable devices and the file sized, while smaller than WAV format (the full size, uncompressed rips from CD) are still fairly good size. Not a problem for home computer setup, but could be if you have a portable device with not so much storage.

If you have 600 CD's yeah, that would be quite a bit of work, but ripping a few here and there you'll get through the racks.

I'd recommend a program called EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and using the FLAC format if you want the smaller files. If you have the space you could rip to WAV format and have uncompressed, lossless files. WAV files from CDs take about 10.5MB per minute of music. FLAC would cut that by 50%, give or take, on average.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
You certainly have more audio equipment than I do. Currently I have a pair of Martin Logan Vistas, which I love. Driving them is a Cambridge Audio integrated amp. The combo is quite good. For sources, which I have never spent alk tgat muvh money on, I have a sony 400 disc changer and a Pioneer Elite DVD player that I bought becaus ed it also played SACD's and DVD Audio discs which unfortunately never reallt caught on though I do have a few of each. Also there is a Project turntable with a Cambridge Audio phono amp.

In my basement I have a pair of Klipsch kg's with a Pioneer Elite hometheater receiver with an older Duel turnrable as the only source, strange I know. Someday there may be a full blown home theater set up there.

The Martin Logans replaced a pair of Magnepans, yes I have a thing for planer speakers. Though when I was in high school I had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in my bedroom, which was pretty crazy since they took up so much of my room. Those were some pretty "exciting" sounding speakers and I certainly blame them for some of my hearing damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Living room system: Entry level OPPO CD Player, off the shelf HP computer into a Peachtree Nova integrated amp with onboard DAC pushing a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers. Basement system: Old ADC CD player, Really old Pioneer PL115 turntable, Marantz SR4000 pushing a pair of Polk Audio RT800i's. Other stuff including a pair of Optimus T120's, Sony Receiver, BSR EQ3000 Non of which is being used now. Wish I was super rich because I'd have a lot more audio stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I used to home brew. Haven't done it in years.

I'm pretty into music. I have three AppleTV's in different rooms that I can stream music and video to. Ripped my entire CD collection onto the computer long ago, just makes everything easier -- not to mention guests can queue up music on the iPad to play throughout the house.

My favorite thing though is these speakers I picked up at Best Buy. Mirage, I think is the brand. They're small. I mean, really small. But wow, do they ever put out some volume...
Y'all have some nice gear there. Cambridge, Oppo, Martin Logan, PSB, Peachtree, Project, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Klipsch, Mirage...nice stuff!

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement