Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield) - Page 16 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #151
histguy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Default

Thanks Tommy for the comments. I will likely go with the extra-jumbo then. The large ones I have are holding up very well. The lid does sag just the slightest if nothing is in the bags but I leave a Nelson-Riggs full rainsuit in there at all times. You made my size decision for me, thank you.

For the sizzy bar. I like the curved portion of this pad. Just seems like it would be more comfortable and is more stylish. What I am trying to avoid is a really really tall sizzy bar. Do you find the bar to be of a good height?

Thanks.
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #152
tommyarmour
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Thanks Tommy for the comments. I will likely go with the extra-jumbo then. The large ones I have are holding up very well. The lid does sag just the slightest if nothing is in the bags but I leave a Nelson-Riggs full rainsuit in there at all times. You made my size decision for me, thank you.

For the sizzy bar. I like the curved portion of this pad. Just seems like it would be more comfortable and is more stylish. What I am trying to avoid is a really really tall sizzy bar. Do you find the bar to be of a good height?

Thanks.
My old lady says the sissy bar is really comfy. I really like the looks of it too.
Here is pic showing just how much room is left on your bike with the extra jumbo bags. With stock pipes.



This shows the true height of the sissy bar. The luggage rack really helps the seat not look too tall.


Glad I could help you decide bro.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #153
histguy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Default

Last question I promise. I went to order the sizzy bar and realized that they have a short and regular sized versions. Which do you have on this bike?

Thanks.
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #154
tommyarmour
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Last question I promise. I went to order the sizzy bar and realized that they have a short and regular sized versions. Which do you have on this bike?

Thanks.
You know I'm not sure. I don't believe I was given a option of short or regular size. If I had to guess I would be 80% sure that mine is regular size. Short sissy bars are more for look's than real comfort. My wife says the one I got on my bike is really comfortable.

Hope that helps. I will try to pull up the receipt tomorrow. Had the cold for a few days that has rendered me useless.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #155
MissViolet
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 79
Default

Quick question Tommy, did you reinforce the back of the saddlebag before mounting with easy brackets? I just purchased Midnight Express Drifter's and want to ensure they are rigid enough to not need saddlebag supports. Any thoughts??

Thanks, I've been searching all evening trying to find some answers lol.
MissViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #156
tommyarmour
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissViolet View Post
Quick question Tommy, did you reinforce the back of the saddlebag before mounting with easy brackets? I just purchased Midnight Express Drifter's and want to ensure they are rigid enough to not need saddlebag supports. Any thoughts??

Thanks, I've been searching all evening trying to find some answers lol.
The inside of the saddlebags are pretty firm. And the easy brackets are more than enough support bolted against the inside of the saddlebags.

You will be fine without any further support's.

Happy riding.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #157
BigTim900
Senior Member
 
BigTim900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173
Default Re: Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

Hard street make a real good abs bag that is in the mid price range.I recently bought these and a Memphis shades batwing.Happy with both so far.Click image for larger version

Name:	1362176074066.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	17642

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
BigTim900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #158
tommyarmour
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim900 View Post
Hard street make a real good abs bag that is in the mid price range.I recently bought these and a Memphis shades batwing.Happy with both so far.Attachment 17642

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I really like the smaller type hard saddlebags nothing too big, kinda like yours. Yours look great. I'm not fond of fairings. I don't even like using my Memphis fats windshield. But on the other hand riding without a windshield on the highway sucks.

I have a friend in cali that just got a small fairing like the ones in sons of anarchy. He really likes his. I personally don't like the look on a smaller cruiser. I consider fairings goldwing material. LOL

That's what is great about bike's, we make them our own. Happy riding.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #159
BigTim900
Senior Member
 
BigTim900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173
Default Re: Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

Hardstreet has 3 different size bags.mine are actually the largest ones.They a lot bigger than the stock leather bags that came on it.Had a stock windshield also but didn't like it.at speed it made the front wheel shake.fairing doesn't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
BigTim900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #160
tommyarmour
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim900 View Post
Hardstreet has 3 different size bags.mine are actually the largest ones.They a lot bigger than the stock leather bags that came on it.Had a stock windshield also but didn't like it.at speed it made the front wheel shake.fairing doesn't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go with hard bags. Mine always looks out of shape unless they are stuffed full. I'll ride for 2+ years before I consider changing the ones I have. Your bags "ARE" actually much larger than I originally thought. I got the oversized extra jumbo's and mine seem small to me. We probably have close to the same storage space.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum