Anyone ever seen these cuts/splits on Bridgestones? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Comanche

Garage

That's all true guys, I agree and have seen and experienced the same things that cause cuts like this whether it is caused by a person, road hazards, road conditions, manufacturing defects, manufacturing processes or a combination thereof.

However, the "slices" that suddenly appear on tires even when brand new and nothing but good pavement has met these tires is what I am talking about here. It is reasonable that there simply can NOT be such a widespread existence of box-knife wielding punks hell-bent on slicing up motorcycle tires to challenge the logic of why carbon strips are used by manufacturers. As I said it seems that the most logical reason was someone had caused this damage with a box-knife or that it could have been the other reasons you all also know can cause this.

Disregarding these other things though and according to manufacturers these "molten carbon strips" are placed in the tire during manufacturing. Since rubber is extruded and cooled much like molten lava during the manufacturing process it is also reasonable that due to expansion/contraction/heating/cooling/suspension processes combined with the tensile/chemical/physical differences of all the materials being used to manufacture a tire are what cause this "irregular" pattern at differing tread depths within the tire itself and that we eventually see on the surface of tread wear areas. Much like the earth's strata layers being exposed by erosion and the deeper you go the stranger it may look but it would still be normal according to what we know of the earth's properties and characteristics.

Thus, these slices appear during normal tire use, are irregularly shaped and patterned and resemble razor cuts or road hazard damage such as we may think or suggest but are not actually damage and this only if the carbon strips are the only thing causing this "sliced look" in the tire. According to the manufacturers that is! I've never talked to a tire manufacturing rep myself but I just might if I can find the time. I simply came across that RED TEXT NOTE on a Michelin site and passed it on. Obviating my inability to perform a chemical composition analysis all I can tell you with certainty is that it is an annoying thing to find these on tires.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
whoaru99
Top Contributor

I don't reject the statement by Michelin.

What I reject is that what's in the pictures is anything related to the carbon statement from Michelin, and the converse of that which is I don't the carbon strip would would look anything like what's in the pictures.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.
whoaru99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I don't reject the statement by Michelin.

What I reject is that what's in the pictures is anything related to the carbon statement from Michelin, and the converse of that which is I don't the carbon strip would would look anything like what's in the pictures.
Yes, I agree that nobody rejects any of the causes we all have shared (including myself) and I always try to be as clear and positive as possible when I post so I don't want anyone to get the impression or idea I am rejecting anything. I'm just sharing information about what the tire manufacturers do with the carbon that causes this to happen and appear as though it is random razor cuts but of course this is according to the manufacturers' explanations. I'm sure it would be just as annoying to others who buy motorcycle tires and find this happening. I wonder if they use carbon strips in other tires then? That's why I posited that I should call up one of those tire manufacturing reps. The manufacturers' explanation is that as the tire wears the carbon wears off like the rubber and it leaves the channel or slice that is visible since the material is obviously harder and stronger than the rubber. Any tire reps out there who can pitch in here? I personally don't care about static cling, charges or electricity that the manufacturers worry so much about so are there any tires that don't have carbon strips in them? I've never heard of anyone having problems with their bikes because of, claiming they had a mishap or their relatives claiming wrongful death on account of static charge buildup. There's always a first time for everything though!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

maybe some one should tell Keebler or Lance about that. Those dang cracker packs always stick to my hand.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
whoaru99
Top Contributor

I think the notion of a slightly different wear area is a considerable stretch to cut-like appearance in the treads, or your equating a channel to a slice.

FWIW, I have Michelin Pilot Roads 2 on my crotch rocket and there is absolutely no unusual wear appearance, let alone anything remotely resembling cuts in the tread.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.
whoaru99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Windburn Bill

Strange. 40 years of riding I've never seen cuts like that on a M/C tire. My last two bikes used OEM Bridgestones so I've been through several sets of Excedras and an Excedra Max in past few years.
Barons PB's, Flanders bars
Cobra True Duals
Mutazu HL hardbags
One off drivers back rest
Resistor ECU mod
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement