Why so popular - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
chi-rider

Garage

900 classic. I put on a galfer braided fr brake cable. It is a notable difference over stock. The front now has a firm feel, no mush. I do have to be careful not to pull on the lever too hard sometimes cause the front will lock up pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Baron Crash Bars
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn ISO Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Mini Silver bullet brake lights
Scoot Works Phat Riser II's
Arlen Ness Scalloped Big Sucker
V&H Pro Pipe
V&H Fuelpak
Saddlemen Profiler seat
Barnet and Galfer Stainless control cables
Cobra Passenger floorboards and bag supports
Chilhowee Leather bags
American Biker Tool bag
Chrome Breather filter
chi-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
philnadlol

Garage

VN, the motor is unstoppable with a minimum of maintenance.
I know people who have passed the 100,000 trouble-free miles.
philnadlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
WhiteWi
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage

I got 900 custom SE because it looks nice and cool. The price was right. And it is made in Japan.
WhiteWi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Papa Smrph

Smile

I like the seat height, the balance, the torque at low rev's, that it is fuel injected. I love the look and how it handles. Had originally figured I would ride this for a couple years and then buy a bigger bike, leaving this one for my wife to move up to. Wife is looking for another bike cause I am not giving my 900 up.
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
Papa Smrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I can't add much to the list here. Originally, we got an '09LT for my wife because she had to give up here GL1800 Gold Wing due to her rheumatoid arthritis that made it difficult for her to manage the weight of the bike. She immediately fell in love with the LT. Then I rode it a few times and liked it enough to pick up a nice used '06 Classic that I turned into a "poor man's" LT. After we moved to Alaska, I sold the Classic because I didn't need two bikes, and so I now get to ride Peggy's LT whenever I want to. I like it for all the reasons already listed.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

The VN900 matches many of the requirements for a broad spectrum of riders.

Size: Large frame so big guys feel comfortable; low seat and light weight so smaller riders can handle it easily.

Power: It may not be much of a racehorse; but it will go from a stop to hiway speed faster than most peoples cars. It will then maintain those hiway speeds all day long; without beating the rider up.

Appearance: While this is subject; between the classic and the custom they have a look that most cruiser riders will like.

Price: It is priced at the "Opening Price Point"; this is always going to be popular with entry level riders, people who must ride but are short on funds and people who prioritize value over aesthetics. (not that the aesthetics are bad~see Appearance.)

Ease: The size of the bike and displacement make it easy to learn to ride on (but still powerful and comfortable enough to enjoy after the learning curve) and it is engineered to be relatively low maintenance.

I would not be surprised if the mid sized cruisers were not the best sellers of most metric manufactures.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

The Vulcan 900 is the epitome is 'one size fits all'. It's a bike that really can do just about anything, at least halfway. It can tour across the country for thousands of miles with trailer in tow, it can cram along urban streets and fight traffic, it can carve up corners. It can't do the long haul like a goldwing or the urban streets like a scooter or the corners like a sportbike, but it does an excellent job of being a capable bike in any situation, even if it's not the best bike for the situation.

It's also, in my mind, the PERFECT beginners bike. This was my first bike. It's a bike that was tame and easy, and I could learn on. But, not, I can and have taken it all around the state, and neighboring states, on trips lasting hundreds of miles. A big fuel tank, decent size to the bike, and great fuel economy makes it an excellent tourer. With hard bags and a trunk, the wife and I have taken this bad boy all over the place. We've packed for weeks onto the bike, including laptop, DSLR Camera, enough clothes to not have to do laundry once, and rode interstates, back roads, and everything in between on the way to our various destinations. Not many bikes can do that, do it comfortably, and STILL be something a new rider can learn on.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
feenixx

pros...belt drive,FI,liquid cooled,light ,fun to ride lots of accessories large cruisers are only fun in a straight line the 900 out maneuvres them also large fuel tank! cons should have had a 6th gear does not have self cancelling turn signals,( i put signal minder on mine) also self adjusting valves whould have been nice but no biggy! just my 2 cents worth.
feenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Denis

I looked at many. Came close to buying the Nomad but when it came right down to it, when I sat on it, it just felt right. It rivals many bikes on size for it's category being built after if bigger brother VN2000. It just felt less intimidating with the low weight ratio.

At 1st the plastic didn't appeal to me, but it didn't take long to acquire the taste. It sheds pounds, don't rust and still glitters. I really like things that don't rust.

I compared many specs to comparing competitive models and it had and still does have state of the art design...FI, liquid cooled (hidden nicely between the frame, more valves/head, etc. all for one low price.

It looks and performs great. Good gas mileage, torque, and very relieable. A joy to ride with plenty for two. I've loaded her up...the more you give her the more she takes and still maintains speed, torque and mileage. Quite incredible.

Accessories gallore...

It's no mystery why Yamaha came out with the 950...hum...wonder...where did they get that styling?

And for all the other reasons listed.

Last edited by Denis; 12-05-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
fawlty99
Top Contributor

It's a beautiful looking bike. In its class nothing looks as good. Small engine by cruiser standards but looks like a big mutha. Has plenty of power but a 6th gear would make it perfect. I can 2-up all day at 110km (??mph) but it would be nicer at 3000rpm rather than 4000.
As said it is not too big to manhandle in tight spaces but is still weighty enough to feel like a big bike. Needs standard octane fuel only and has a great range (approx 390 klm or so) thanks to big tank and good mileage.

Last edited by fawlty99; 12-06-2012 at 05:08 AM.
fawlty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement