Bikes and guns - Page 12 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #111
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

That goes back to, the problem is not the gun, people are the problem and the gun is the tool. If these problem people did not have guys then they would simply find another tool.

A gun in the hand of a hunter = Nice trophy on the wall or tasty deer tenderloin on the table.
A gun in the hand of an "undesirable" = crime

Fertilizer in the hands of a farmer = Good crop
Fertilizer in the hands of an "undesirable" = BOMB

If we outlaw everything that could have a bad outcome then we will all end up in a padded room in a jacket with too many buckles.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 12-04-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #112
Cheesefood

Just curious - this controversial topic has been open for a while, and is all good and fun and I don't think anyone's gotten their jimmies rustled.

Any topic that touches on religion gets closed quickly.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #113
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

That is part of the terms and conditions of the forums. I feel that religion is something a lot of people can't talk about with out getting too worked up. I know I can and I am not offended by any conversation about any religion. If there is a topic I don't want to read/discuss, I just don't click on it. Some folks can't and feel that it is their life's duty to get people to not only see their point of view but make others agree with it. Even if it is religious, political, what oil to use, and how not to winterize your bike.
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #114
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Just curious - this controversial topic has been open for a while, and is all good and fun and I don't think anyone's gotten their jimmies rustled.

Any topic that touches on religion gets closed quickly.
I have seen several topics of a religious nature that have not been closed.
And I have seen topics that do not touch on religion get shut down.

It isn't the topic; it is level of respect or more precisely disrespect.

If you start personally insulting people or using intentionally inflammatory speech the thread will be closed. (with possible infractions; depending on how severe the speech is)

If someone were to post a thread giving a respectful but negative point about religion, and the participants remained respectful; I doubt it would get closed.

If it weren't inflammatory it probably would not get many clicks or replies though.
Which is why most people who want to bash religion do so with the intent to piss people off.

The simple fact is:
People enjoy hating and being disrespectful to other people!
This isn't a left or right thing; it isn't black or white or religious or non-religious.

The fact that believe in God or post something that is respectful of God has no impact on your or other posters lives.

Yes some people think it is their place to question my reasoning capability and refer to my God as a "spagetti monster".

That is intolerance and it is intentionally disrespectful.
But, in some circles it is hate speech that is rewarded with laughs and false suggestions that the utterer is somehow being brave.

But, if you want a more specific answer as to this forum.
Keep it respectful of others and it won't be shut down.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #115
Cheesefood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
The simple fact is:
People enjoy hating and being disrespectful to other people!
This isn't a left or right thing; it isn't black or white or religious or non-religious.

The fact that believe in God or post something that is respectful of God has no impact on your or other posters lives.

Yes some people think it is their place to question my reasoning capability and refer to my God as a "spagetti monster".

That is intolerance and it is intentionally disrespectful.
But, in some circles it is hate speech that is rewarded with laughs and false suggestions that the utterer is somehow being brave.

Scott
So it's OK to discuss killing people and the best weapon to use and how to justify the murder of someone.

Challenging religion, or bringing in other points of view, are an insult to you and need to be closed down.

FWIW, you obviously have not read a single thing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster if you think it's the same as your God. Not surprising, most religious people have a closed mind.

I can see now what kind of forum this is and it's not for me. Mods put their religious beliefs at the top of their censorship. Hey, great for you and all, but you lost another member. Not interested in a forum where murder talk is A-OK "Let's carry concealed weapons and study the exact circumstances that justify me killing someone." But stating that religion is fiction and worthless is not at all tolerated.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #116
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Cheesefood -

Man, here I go again...

I've ran forums since the Bulletin Board System days. I've no earthly clue what the religious beliefs of the forum operators here are. I -can- tell you that discussions of religious beliefs Don't End Well. This is a motorcycle oriented forum for discussing motorcycles. If the forum operators decide this isn't the place for a religious discussion, I can understand that. Don't take it personally.

I strongly suspect the topic at hand, given your personal experience, is making you upset. I understand. Take a step back and put it in perspective.

...For what it's worth, my cousin was a police officer and had a gun related death as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #117
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

goosfraba, everyone, goosfraba, goosfraba, goosfraba. Now lets sing. I feel pretty.

I believe we all need to do what lunatic says. Step back and take a breath.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #118
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
So it's OK to discuss killing people and the best weapon to use and how to justify the murder of someone.

Challenging religion, or bringing in other points of view, are an insult to you and need to be closed down.

FWIW, you obviously have not read a single thing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster if you think it's the same as your God. Not surprising, most religious people have a closed mind.

I can see now what kind of forum this is and it's not for me. Mods put their religious beliefs at the top of their censorship. Hey, great for you and all, but you lost another member. Not interested in a forum where murder talk is A-OK "Let's carry concealed weapons and study the exact circumstances that justify me killing someone." But stating that religion is fiction and worthless is not at all tolerated.
You have proven several times that you are the closed minded one here.

I don't have any problems with anyone bringing in a differing point of view. Whether it is religion or personal defense.

Every single time I have heard anyone reference "spaghetti monster" it has been accompanied by a personal attack on Christianity.
Your post a couple of days ago used the start of Genesis "in the beginning".
I have seen renditions of famous Christian art where God has been replaced by spaghetti.
The only purpose of "spaghetti monster" is to belittle Christians.
You will have a hard time using FACTS to disprove that.

On personal defense. No one on this forum ever expressed a DESIRE to use their firearm for anything other than target practice or hunting.
Just because someone wants to know the rules doesn't mean they want to play. Using a firearm in self defense is not "murder".

You however; state that you are pro gun then you say that gun violence is responsible for the death of a family member.
It seems to me you enter these debates not argue using facts but whatever politically correct or emotional B.S. you can conjure at the moment.

I enjoy exchanging ideas with people who express themselves rationally; but; If this forum is not for you; well...I for one won't miss ya!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #119
GimpyLeg

Garage

I, for one, have enjoyed reading and following this thread. I have not participated because it would have just been a repeat of opinions already expressed. Thanks to all who did participate.
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #120
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I can see now what kind of forum this is and it's not for me.

Maybe you should just go back to Huffington Post or Politico where no one challenges your ideas or presents you with opposing viewpoints to consider. Bubbles of agreement are so much more comfortable to live in.

light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
Sponsored Links