A question about cooling systems and VV heat - Page 6 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #51
Kim

That is a line to advertise the sale of the new voyager of course there not going to elude to the fact that the prior bikes have a heat problem. That would make them liable don't you think.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #52
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

the kams kit was desigend to adress a rider comfort issue... not an engine overheating issue... for a little perspective on this take your car out on a hot day then when the engine is good and hot stop in a parking lot open the hood and sit on it... bet its gonna be pretty warm !!!!! well that is basicaly what you are doing on a 1700 you are straddling a 1.7L engine and expecting it to be cold....now if there was a overheating issue ie: the coolant boils over, then i am sure kawasaki would adress the issue !
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #53
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

flatop I like your idea and will do the same.

I have had the Baker wings on other scoots but what they did for the Voyager is overkill I think.

Plus it is more than I would spend......

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #54
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
the kams kit was desigend to adress a rider comfort issue... not an engine overheating issue... for a little perspective on this take your car out on a hot day then when the engine is good and hot stop in a parking lot open the hood and sit on it... bet its gonna be pretty warm !!!!! well that is basicaly what you are doing on a 1700 you are straddling a 1.7L engine and expecting it to be cold....now if there was a overheating issue ie: the coolant boils over, then i am sure kawasaki would adress the issue !
I agree...in principle.

A 1700 is going to be hot.

I think the smaller radiator and the fact that only the top 1/3rd of the cylinders are liquid cooled result in MARGINAL cooling performance.
This is how the bike was engineered and it is operating as designed.

In hot climates the stock set-up flirts with running too hot for some peoples preferences. (and close to the red line on the gauge too)
Pipes, breathers, fuel controllers, 70/30 mixes, additives and other tricks can bring the temps down (a bit) to a level that doesn't approach "too hot".

If Kawasaki thought the bikes were running in a manner they believed would cost them in warranty claims they would fix any issues.

But the warranty is only 3 yrs. What if I want to ride mine for 10? Running cooler can help prevent wear.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #55
tjhfwtx

I wish there was an "easy" way to know what kind of engine temps are being experienced by other big-bore water-cooled bikes, like say the Yamaha Venture, and by other big-bore air only bikes, like the Yamaha Road star, or some of the Harleys. I know that a good friend of mine who has a big Harley says that his performance suffers when it is really hot outside, but I wonder what the actual NUMBERS are for cylinder temps on any of these bikes. I think the Kawasaki gauge on these Voyagers is a BAD design, and is causing a lot of concern, but we do not have exact temperature numbers for comparison.
Tom
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #56
Oldturer

My dealer had a product from France..called Mo Cool made by Motul. It runs my VV within the first half of the dial. In the hottest summer, it goes a bit over. I have my pipes wrapped and sprayed all the way to the mufflers. With these two changes, I'm able to ride with decent comfort in TN in July/Aug.

The website for the product is: www.motul.com
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #57
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Did not see Mo Cool but did see Motocool.

I know people that use their oil and swear by it, but they all have air cooled engines rip roaring dirt bikes. I would assume the coolant isn't bad either. And Ebay has both of them......

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #58
Dozrtravlin

Thanks for all your input, I've been away for the festive season but managed to get a few miles in once I put the new cooling fluid in the bike. I bleed it according to Kawa and then went back a fed. More times to check for air bubbles.

End result in our 35 deg Celsius temps here over summer it runs cloe to or on the 5 th white mark. At around 29 c or below it sits on the 4th white mark moving with the thermostat. In cold weather it doesn't always get to the 4th mark. The Kams kit works a treat so I suppose I'm happy. But can't shake the feeling it shouldn't be like this.

Thanks again for th input
Chrome cup holders,
Marvellas passenger and rider highway pegs,
Grasshoper backrest,
Kawasaki Gel seats,
Grey Sheepskin Seat covers,
Kawasaki Rear Speakers,
Ipod Kit,
H.D. trunk rack,
Chrome passenger board covers,
Chrome Engine plate,
Door Controller,
Fog Lights wired to High Beam on/off.
Speedo Healer, Backoff Brake Module
KAM's heat kit

BLue Knights BKAUS11 and
BlueLiners Australia

Ride with Pride
Dozrtravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #59
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhfwtx View Post
I wish there was an "easy" way to know what kind of engine temps are being experienced by other big-bore water-cooled bikes, like say the Yamaha Venture, and by other big-bore air only bikes, like the Yamaha Road star, or some of the Harleys. I know that a good friend of mine who has a big Harley says that his performance suffers when it is really hot outside, but I wonder what the actual NUMBERS are for cylinder temps on any of these bikes. I think the Kawasaki gauge on these Voyagers is a BAD design, and is causing a lot of concern, but we do not have exact temperature numbers for comparison.
Tom
All I know is that my friends who own Ventures and Harleys complain about the heat off the engine.

Many of the riders of full fairing sport bikes who refuse to wear full leathers complain about the heat off the engines.

My naked 1600 Mean Streak gets very very hot on my upper thighs when caught at a long light. Of course, once I get moving again there is enough air flow on the naked bike to move that heat away from me.

Kawasaki had to redesign the fairings on the Concours to move the heat away from the rider. Don't put your legs out where the vents are or you will feel that heat.

There are many who complain about heat on all the big bikes. The more wind protection the more complaints. At least Kawasaki addressed it with the KAMS kit.

BTW: they even installed the KAMS kit on the new Ninja 300. Don't want to scare off the new riders who might move on to larger displacement bikes.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #60
truckie

Default Temperature

My bike sits on or near about the second mark or just over traveling at 100kph at 30C degrees ambient temperature,about half way or a needle width in stop and go traffic
truckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement