Fog mist in morning coats face shield - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
SMoscrip

Garage

Even RainX doesn't stop the mist from turning into ice on the faceshield!
Just found that out.

OEM Black Engine Guard
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered Black Exhaust
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Custom Dynamics Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
Custom Dynamics Black LED Tag Bolts
HID 55W Slim Ballast H4 H/L @6000K
Smoked Taillight Lens with LED light board
Undertank Orange LED Accent Lighting
Black Blinker Buckets and Taillight Bezel
OEM Mirrors Painted Black
Black Highway Hawk Gothic Arch Sissy Bar
SMoscrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoscrip View Post
Even RainX doesn't stop the mist from turning into ice on the faceshield!
Just found that out.
It's post like these that are painful reminders that summer is over and we're into the 'extended' riding season of heavy gear and leather and electric this or that and etc..

Oh well. A cold day on the bike beats any day in the car!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #23
SMoscrip

Garage

Oh well.
Puttin the bikes to bed this weekend.
At least the ISO grips I ordered came on time for an install and a few rides!

OEM Black Engine Guard
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered Black Exhaust
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Custom Dynamics Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
Custom Dynamics Black LED Tag Bolts
HID 55W Slim Ballast H4 H/L @6000K
Smoked Taillight Lens with LED light board
Undertank Orange LED Accent Lighting
Black Blinker Buckets and Taillight Bezel
OEM Mirrors Painted Black
Black Highway Hawk Gothic Arch Sissy Bar
SMoscrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
Papa Smrph

Default Plexus seems to work well

I use Plexus on Windshield and visor (inside and out). I did use Windex until someone told me it would discolour them. As a side benefit I have noticed that both Windshield and visor really bead water, including mist. And the inside of the visor, when it fogs at all is only a small area below the nose at the bottom, maybe up a 1/2 inch. I have found that Plexus is not good at removing bugs, etc. So cleaning is two steps. Soapy water to clean the nasties off and then Plexus to polish. Works for me.
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
Papa Smrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Bad Juju
Lifetime Premium

I use a fog city shield liner its the second item here

Before that Mr Sheen works OK.

FWIW just use a damp tea towel on your bug splats - don't scrub just lay it on them and they soften up and will wipe up easy.
Bad Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smrph View Post
I use Plexus on Windshield and visor (inside and out). I did use Windex until someone told me it would discolour them. As a side benefit I have noticed that both Windshield and visor really bead water, including mist. And the inside of the visor, when it fogs at all is only a small area below the nose at the bottom, maybe up a 1/2 inch. I have found that Plexus is not good at removing bugs, etc. So cleaning is two steps. Soapy water to clean the nasties off and then Plexus to polish. Works for me.
Thanks!

Interesting. I just put a heavy coat of Plexus on the bugs and let it sit for several minutes. I haven't found any issues in getting them off. Maybe a 2nd "soaking" for the worst case accumulations.

I too found that rain beads up great and flows off the wind screen and visor really well. Just didn't know about the fogging. Having a windshield, I just pop my visor up to the 1st notch and let the air flowing in defrost it. It does get a bit nippy on the nose though.

On another note, to another poster: A word to the wise is to never use a paper towel on any windshield nor visor. Paper is a wood product and will cause scratches.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
llamaguy

Cool Fog control at ski shops

Go to a local ski shop (or sporting goods store) and get a bottle of the fog control spray used for ski goggles. This is made for use on plastics and is specifically for fog control, not just cleaning or surface treatment. It also will not interfere with good visibilty. Even under the most fog-proned conditions an application will last several days. It usually comes in small, pocket size bottles.
llamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #28
1barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaguy View Post
Go to a local ski shop (or sporting goods store) and get a bottle of the fog control spray used for ski goggles. This is made for use on plastics and is specifically for fog control, not just cleaning or surface treatment. It also will not interfere with good visibilty. Even under the most fog-proned conditions an application will last several days. It usually comes in small, pocket size bottles.
That seems like a logical solution, I think I will try it. Up till now I have been using Mothers Plastic Polish.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #29
The Heater
Lifetime Premium

I hate RainX. Stopped using it about 30 years ago.

I try to bring my finger squeegee. You can buy them from motorcycle specialty sellers, like Sound Rider. It attaches to your index finger over your glove and you just wipe the shield when it gets hard to see.

Other thing is as others mention: wax. A good non abrasive wax such as pure carnuba wax (Mothers, 3M and Mequiars, as examples of makers) works great. Water beads up and rolls off.
The Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #30
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Plexus works fine. Great cleaner and if you do the inside of the shield it will stop all but the worst fogging.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement