Bak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Robotic
Lifetime Premium

Default Bak

Blocked off ports to the heads when I installed the K & N filter into stock air box and installed the Cobra Fi2000r. Still can't reduce all the popping. I can control it with proper handling of the throttle though. Just hoped I wouldn't have to concentrate on throttle control constantly. Also when I installed the BAK I noticed that the butterfly (if that is what you call it) in the throttle body does not really move with throttle control. I think I remember Ponch saying at one time just to remove it, don't need it. Is that true. Or could the fact that it doesn't close on idle be a cause of the popping? Shouldn't it be wide open on acceleration and closing as the throttle closes?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
TB2000
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Blocked off ports to the heads when I installed the K & N filter into stock air box and installed the Cobra Fi2000r. Still can't reduce all the popping. I can control it with proper handling of the throttle though. Just hoped I wouldn't have to concentrate on throttle control constantly. Also when I installed the BAK I noticed that the butterfly (if that is what you call it) in the throttle body does not really move with throttle control. I think I remember Ponch saying at one time just to remove it, don't need it. Is that true. Or could the fact that it doesn't close on idle be a cause of the popping? Shouldn't it be wide open on acceleration and closing as the throttle closes?
The secondary plates are there to allow a smooth acceleration. They gradually introduce air into the intake. Remove the plates and twist the throttle and you'll feel a immediate power surge. It won't be like blasting off, but it is noticeable. No plates restricting the air flow. I removed mine long ago.

What exhaust do you have? Do you have actual backfire or a gurgling, farting sound coming from the exhaust? The Cobra 2/1 system is what I have and if you're trying to eliminate that popping or gurgling sound you probably never will. Most of it is most likely the sound characteristics of that particular exhaust system. Dialing in the Fi2000r is a guessing game without a dyno. I pulled a plug after a few months and saw I was way too rich.

Currently, I have my bike set up with stock air box and a K&N filter and Cobra 2/1. I disconnected the Fi2000r and occasionally I would experience a minor bang...real backfire. So, reinstalled fuel chip and set pots at .5-1-1 and haven't heard any backfire since.
TB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Robotic
Lifetime Premium

I have Freedom Performance exhaust. The gurgling I can live with, no problem. It is the BANG if I decelerate quickly or down shift without allowing RPM's to drop to a certain level that I would like to eliminate. Yes, headers are tight.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
TB2000
Top Contributor

What is your fuel chip set at, default (3-5-0)?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Robotic
Lifetime Premium

Yes set at 3-5-0, haven't tried reducing it, should I?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Robotic
Lifetime Premium

Also, haven't pulled a pug to inspect it, not sure I would be able to interpret it. Some opinions say too rich, others too lean.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
TB2000
Top Contributor

Quote:
Yes set at 3-5-0, haven't tried reducing it, should I?
That's the problem with the Fi2000r, it just doesn't cover the power band like the PC does. I guess all I would advise you to do is tinker with it. I messed with mine alot when I had the Thunder airkit. That's when I pulled a plug and realized it was too rich. If you're not sure (like i wasn't) on interpreting the plug you can snap a pic and ask the general population here. They'll know whether you're too rich, just right or somewhere in the middle. But give it some time to show evidence of being too rich or whatever. I think the beast performs incredible with the stock box, K&N filter and the resistor mod. The after market kits definitely have aesthetic value as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Robotic
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, I guess I will try different settings with Fi2000r and see if there are major differences. Will hopefully get the right settings when I do Dyno it. As far as the resistor mod, I tried that but FI light stayed on so just left valve in place and plugged all the hoses I could find. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated, you guys are great!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
bigsarge2012
Top Contributor

Quote:
I have Freedom Performance exhaust. The gurgling I can live with, no problem. It is the BANG if I decelerate quickly or down shift without allowing RPM's to drop to a certain level that I would like to eliminate. Yes, headers are tight.
I have the freedoms to0 , when i plugged the ports 80% of the popping went away . When i put on the power commander and loaded the map i set all the zero rpm to zero throttle and that took away the rest. maybe you should keep an eye out for a cheap PCIII on flea bay. I got mine brand new for 125.

you sure the ports are plugged tight?
bigsarge2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Pearhead

Smile

Rob. the buttery flys you refer to, also act as a choke on cold days.
I have my plates removed, and the thing I noticed the most, is a hesitation on take off, until the engine gets good and warmed up.
The reaon you don't really see them move, is because I think they are electric/vacuum operated.
If you decide to remove them, simply remove the screws,( with a magnetic screw driver, so not to drop the small screws down the throttle body) holding the plates to the shaft.

This problably will not help your situation. But I have a TFI fuel controller, which has 5 pods, set at 5-4-4-4.
In setting mine, I started on the low side, took it for a ride, then set it midway, than set it on the high side, taking note of any changes in sound/popping and acceleration. This gave me reference points in making my adjustments.
I also have XXX BAK and Freedom Sharp Curves and have very little to no decel popping. When and if it pops, it is not very loud.

Somewhere in this forum I posted pics of my plugs after running them around 15,000 miles with the above setup at 4.5-4.5-3-4. They indicated an ever so slight lean mixture, so I made an even more slight adjustment.. a little rich is better then a little lean. IMO

found the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front  plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	14478   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear plug.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	14479  
Sharp Curves.