Bikes and guns - Page 10 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #91
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR #47 View Post
I was with an experienced rider a few weeks back, a guy who likes to tour the country much the way I plan on doing with my Voyager. He packs a handgun for long trips, for self defense. Has a concealed weapon permit.

I for one am not that experienced with shooting, but I must admit riding alone through a big city I feel very vulnerable. If I were to make a weapons purchase, I for sure would seek training and practice.

I was curious as to opinions on this forum. I am sure I will get a variety, but that is ok. I might learn something.

Thanks!
I have a concealed weapons permit. My interest in firearms is separate from my interest in bikes and it never occurred to me to link the two. Carrying my firearm to me is like carrying my car keys or my wallet. It's just part of the daily routine.

If you're interested in guns and thinking on making a purchase, that's great. Take a gun safety class before you make a purchase. Maybe there's a range in your area that lets you try or rent firearms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #92
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Hardcore Democrat and very liberal person here.

I like guns. Thinking about getting one, but in 37 years of living in very diverse areas, from heavily gang occupied to suburban white-bread, I've never once felt the need for a gun. I like guns, but I'm not scared enough of anyone or anything to need one.

Thinking about getting a shotgun for home protection. Probably won't get any ammo, because honestly no one is going to call my bluff on it if it's pointed at their genitals.
Please don't get a gun for self defense if you have no intention of ever using it to defend yourself should the need arise.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #93
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I have a concealed weapons permit. My interest in firearms is separate from my interest in bikes and it never occurred to me to link the two. Carrying my firearm to me is like carrying my car keys or my wallet. It's just part of the daily routine.

Agreed! Was asked once why I carried a BUG. If I don't I feel only half dressed. Too many years have passed now to change.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #94
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I am currently looking to put my hands on a Taurus 709 Slim. It is a 9mm +P that is very concealable.
I have three Taurus handguns. I have a Taurus 709 Slim, I have a Taurus .380, and I have a 38 Special.

I don't like the 709 Slim. I'll take it with me to the range but that's about it. It jams more frequently than I like. I blame it on the magazines. I have the same issue with the 380. I have less issues if I short myself by two or three rounds - I've just decided that these guns are okay for the range but not much else.

Take a look at the Sig Sauer P290RS. You can thank me later.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #95
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

I don't have a handgun and a concealed weapons permit out of fear. I have it because it gives me options.

I've been divorced, in an accident with an 18 wheeler, shot, and threatened with death and bodily harm. I don't hold any particularly strong fear over something that may or may not happen.

I do like to have my options, though.

If I'm involved in a confrontation, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that situation escalating. Everyone in the world, unfortunately, it's as reasonable as I am. Some of these unreasonable folks are determined to do others harm. That's why I have the option.

If I'm lucky, I'll never have to take that option.

(Oh yes: And making holes in paper targets is very, very therapeutic. )
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #96
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm of the mind that I can't kill someone. I have kids, I can't shoot a teenager who's in my house because he's broke and needs money for whatever reason. I can't justify killing someone who is out of options for money when I have more money than I need. I can't do it. I can't look at them and not see someone who was a young little boy like my kids who just doesn't have a great life.
With all due respect, you never know what you're capable of until faced with it. I have guns precisely because I had kids in the house and I intended to meet every threat to them with overwhelming force. They're all grown, but I still have the guns. And I'd still use them if I had to.

As to your "poor teenager" theory- most of the armed burglaries and home invasions involving victims of gun violence are perpetrated between young males age 16 to 26 where I live.

Quote:
Most burglaries are completely unarmed - they're there to grab something of value and leave. Stealing and killing are different ball parks.
Please cite your source for this claim. The crevice between your hip pockets doesn't count.

Quote:
I believe that 50 years ago people were sold a similar lie to buy bomb shelters.
50 years ago the threat of nuclear war was very real. Only an ignoramus would think otherwise. Sorry, but there's no nice way to say it.

Quote:
Every time a democrat is elected you're told to "stock up now, because (Carter, Clinton, Obama) is going to take your guns. Every time a Dem is elected gun and ammo sales go through the roof and none of them have really fought for gun control. They've asked questions, but have their been bans?
What do you think happens when someone campaigns for office pledging to outlaw or seriously restrict gun ownership? As to whether there have been bans- the answer is YES, and several. Mail order guns have been banned. Fully automatic weapons have been banned. Magazines over a certain number of rounds have been banned. Certain ammo has been banned. "Assault rifles" (semi-automatic rifles that look like military weapons) have been banned in some quarters. The list is long.

There is a specious notion that the 2nd Amendment is about hunting or only applies to organized militias, which have been somehow conflated with our modern military. We have Democrat politicians (and some Republicans as well) advancing the notion that only the police and military should have weapons- exactly 180 degrees from the intent of the founders. They intended that we remain armed to keep our government afraid of us. They no longer are, because they have made any armed response to tyranny a lopsided contest. If you doubt the intent of the founders, just do a quick google search of the founders and the 2nd Amendment.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #97
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I have three Taurus handguns. I have a Taurus 709 Slim, I have a Taurus .380, and I have a 38 Special.
I don't like the 709 Slim. I'll take it with me to the range but that's about it. It jams more frequently than I like. I blame it on the magazines. I have the same issue with the 380. I have less issues if I short myself by two or three rounds - I've just decided that these guns are okay for the range but not much else.
Take a look at the Sig Sauer P290RS. You can thank me later.
Can you describe the 'jam'.
Is it getting caught exiting the breech?

My 92-c had that problem the first couple of magazines.
I went to a higher grain ammo for the next several boxes; and had no issues.
Now that the recoil spring is broken in I can use 80 grain glazers with zero jams.

I have a .22 (that I need to sell) that feed jams. I have tweaked the guides on the magazine and reduced the occurrence; but I don't like the gun.

I used to have a High Point .22 magnum semi-auto that jamed during extraction. It had to do with the way they engineered the removal of the rim fire cartridge. Neat gun, but not dependable.

I think my Taurus is my favorite handgun ever. I know some people don't like the brand, but I have never had any real problems.
I have not committed to the 709 and would want to shoot a box or so before making the purchase.
I will say that without regard to how it shoots; I plan on owning the Taurus Judge in the near future.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #98
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

Now that the recoil spring is broken in I can use 80 grain glazers with zero jams.

I have a .22 (that I need to sell) that feed jams. I have tweaked the guides on the magazine and reduced the occurrence; but I don't like the gun.

I used to have a High Point .22 magnum semi-auto that jamed during extraction. It had to do with the way they engineered the removal of the rim fire cartridge. Neat gun, but not dependable.

I think my Taurus is my favorite handgun ever. I know some people don't like the brand, but I have never had any real problems.
I have not committed to the 709 and would want to shoot a box or so before making the purchase.
I will say that without regard to how it shoots; I plan on owning the Taurus Judge in the near future.

Scott
Mostly, it's a lot of Failure to Ejects. I've tried different brands of Ammo. I'm not religiously for or against Taurus (I love the 38 Special), I've just decided it was worth the extra money to get the Sig, and I'm kicking myself now for not doing it first.

I've never actually seen a Judge in person, but I understand it's a sight to behold, lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #99
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:

Scott
Is it a ruger. I had one of their 22/45 Target Pistols with a 5.5" bull barrel that would do that ALL THE TIME. I tweaked and tweaked on it. Took it back to where I got it and tried different clips in it and nothing seamed to help. I spend one day and fired ??? rounds and it seemed to get better but no to what I would consider reliable. I sold it. I used it as my snake killer while I was out.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #100
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Should work directly with the mfg. on jamming issues like that. Normally they'll refer you to a local authorized gunsmith and if that doesn't do it then they'll usually have you send it back to them for repair.

They usually treat you pretty nice when something like that happens. Had an issue with one of mine and in addition to the actual fix, Colt ran it through their custom shop for my troubles. Has functioned flawlessly since then. Came back with a nicer/upgraded grip and much smoother action and a target showing a ragged one hole pattern.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread