Bikes and guns - Page 9 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #81
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
I'm of the mind that I can't kill someone. I have kids, I can't shoot a teenager who's in my house because he's broke and needs money for whatever reason. I can't justify killing someone who is out of options for money when I have more money than I need. I can't do it. I can't look at them and not see someone who was a young little boy like my kids who just doesn't have a great life.

Most burglaries are completely unarmed - they're there to grab something of value and leave. Stealing and killing are different ball parks. Most normal people have no desire to ever kill anyone. By few people are willing to go out in a blaze of glory, and even fewer would senselessly kill unarmed people.

Sorry but I believe you were fed a fantasy that caused you to buy a gun and ammo. I believe that 50 years ago people were sold a similar lie to buy bomb shelters.

No one seems to be skeptical of the marketing job of weapons dealers. You're skeptical of EVERYTHING else, but you trust your gun man. Every time a democrat is elected you're told to "stock up now, because (Carter, Clinton, Obama) is going to take your guns. Every time a Dem is elected gun and ammo sales go through the roof and none of them have really fought for gun control. They've asked questions, but have their been bans?

I know your guns give you a sense of security and make you feel safer than me. Friends, l'm 37 years old and I've never felt the need to draw a piece. I like shooting guns because it's fun and it makes me also feel powerful, but it's just not a practical use for $500 of mine (to buy one).

You know what's better than a gun? A Rottweiler. They provide security and love.
I respect your position on not killing a person. I do, however, disagree with your characterization of burglars. By & large, they are not just guys down on their luck who can't put food in their mouths any other way. They are lazy people looking for the fastest, easiest way to get money (or just stuff) for whatever they need money for (food, alcohol, drugs, etc.). I don't feel sorry for them. If they are truly just down & out, there are legitimate ways to get fed.
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #82
markstep

Wow, I hope this is at least a little overstated. I am from Canada, and fully intend to do some touring in the US. Needless to say, being from Canada, there is now way in the world for me to be carring a handgun.
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #83
Devone6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR #47 View Post
I was with an experienced rider a few weeks back, a guy who likes to tour the country much the way I plan on doing with my Voyager. He packs a handgun for long trips, for self defense. Has a concealed weapon permit.

I for one am not that experienced with shooting, but I must admit riding alone through a big city I feel very vulnerable. If I were to make a weapons purchase, I for sure would seek training and practice.

I was curious as to opinions on this forum. I am sure I will get a variety, but that is ok. I might learn something.

Thanks!
I'm a former LEO and current Concealed Weapons Instructor, so I will throw my opinion in here from a "I have carried a firearm for the last 18 years" point of view. As some have said the LC9 or LCP are both good concealed pistols (I own each) with the LCP being a true pocket gun. Although the LCP is a easy gun to hide regardless of clothing worn, I personally would recommend the LC9 or a Sig 239 (my personal carry choice 90% of the time), or a 1911, carried in a Inside the Waist Band (IWB) holster. Using an IWB holster with a T-Shirt will easily conceal a larger gun, and while a LCP will get it done, I'm of the opinion if you are going to carry, carry the largest caliber (with in reason, 9mm, .40S&W, 357Sig, 45acp, or 38, 357 wheel guns) you can comfortably conceal and shoot well. I am new to Vulcans but have ridden street for 24 years, carrying a pistol for 18 years. Colder weather, a shoulder holster with a sweat shirt or jacket over it, or warmer weather an IWB. There are many IWB holsters that even allow you to tuck in you shirt, so the wind won't blow it up and expose your gun.

Also, I carried a full size Glock and compact Glock in 40S&W (Models 22 & 27 respectively) on duty as a LEO and still carry them in the manners above. I guess what I'm saying is that if you find a pistol/ revolver you like and shoot well, you can carry it regardless of size (again with in reason) if you use the right methods.

As for the carry or not carry, the old 'cliche' "I'd rather have it with me and never need it than need it and not have it with me......" Unlike a previous poster here, I personally have been involved in many cases where a gun legally possessed or carried by a civilian saved them, some by the use of it, some by the legitimate threat of using it but fortunately not having too.

If you get a firearm, practice shooting a lot, pick a carry style or two and use only those, and practice drawing and firing with snap caps, and then at a range (only certain ones are made for and allow this) or safe shooting area drawing and firing. Why just a couple carry methods? Well if you carry your gun in a different way all he time you don't want to have to think "where is my gun today", also it is best to limit and get good at a just couple carry locations on your body, cause when the SHTF if you practice drawing you will revert into that training.

Lastly get your Concealed Carry Permit/License and be aware as someone said earlier, some states recognize other states license, some don't, this should be covered in your Concealed Carry training class, but if your are traveling out of state be sure you know whether you are legal to carry where you are going. Also each state's carry laws differ, so make sure that not only your concealed carry license is good in the state(s) you go, but you also follow that state's law while you are there. For example, in some states you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (but you can't go to he bar section), but in other states you can't go into any establishment that serves alcohol. In some states you have to inform LE you are carrying immediately if stopped (speeding, running a stop sign, etc), while some states you don't have to inform during a stop unless asked. In short there is a lot of responsibility to carrying a concealed weapon, so do it right if you are going to and stay legal.

Hope hat helps a little and I didn't ramble to bad.....

Last edited by Devone6; 12-02-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, and it's still not right..... ;)
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #84
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstep View Post
Wow, I hope this is at least a little overstated. I am from Canada, and fully intend to do some touring in the US. Needless to say, being from Canada, there is now way in the world for me to be carring a handgun.
You have little to worry about unless you plan on coming down to look for trouble. If so, you'll likely find it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #85
doubleminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I have enough guns and ammo to hold a police/ATF standoff for weeks!

Several are antiques and do not fire, some are for hunting, some are for personal and home protection and one is for the inevitable zombie apocolypse.

IF you do get a gun; consider a firearm safety course provided by a law enforcement agency.
They will tell you NEVER pull a gun unless you are willing and ready to use it.

The worst criminals will do anything to avoid going back to prison. Even if it means having a shootout with someone who already has the drop on them.

Scott
I think alcohol tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #86
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminded View Post
I think alcohol tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store.
I have been to that guys house.

His whiskey was cheap; and his tobacco didn't have a tax stamp on it.
But, if I was looking for a gun that was going to end up in the bottom of the river; he would be the guy!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #87
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
Hope hat helps a little and I didn't ramble to bad.....
Good post!

It is easy to get sidetracked on these topics; but I think you answered the OP's question with a lot of good and relative information. Kudos.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #88
Vulcan 41

this thread took it`s firearms Phobia to the limits....Enough...:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #89
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan 41 View Post
this thread took it`s firearms Phobia to the limits....Enough...:
Yet you keep clicking on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #90
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
Yet you keep clicking on it.
It's like a train wreck. No matter how much you want to look away you still find your self looking.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread