Vulcan 800 PICS! - Page 48 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #471
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammadof View Post
So just finished re-shimming and mounting the MAC Fat Stakkers. Fired up first time.....but it's SNOWING...bahaaa......one more ride this week-end...I hope....!

I would love to get something like these but I am scared to death to touch my exhaust bolts. I have had them shear on another bike and it was a nightmare.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #472
Yammadof

Phil: You're right to be a bit nervous of those bolts! However, I first used some PB blaster [or any spray releaser] and let it soak for 30 mins... then did it again to all the hex bolts of the o.e.m. pipes and let it sit overnight. Bought a short[read: "stubby"] 8mm hex head wrench as well as a longer version and made sure the heads were clean. Start with the easiest accessible bolt and use an extension [6" - 12" hollow metal] to increase the leverage. Apply increasingly firm pressure and don't jerk it. 9/10 times will work just fine. If not, you're gonna have to heat things up......but that's a new thread....try the easy route first....

Dave
Yammadof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #473
Phil in Maine

Garage

So the 800 has bolts that go into the cylinder heads on both sides? I haven't really examined it all that closely on my bike. The bolt heads look a bit rusty.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #474
Yammadof

Phil: PM sent.

Dave
Yammadof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #475
Bob Myers
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Yours seem a bit better mounted than mine. In the Spring I am going to work on remounting them and getting some new clamps. The previous owner put them on and didn't do a particularly good job. Overall, they look good and sound decent. They aren't terribly loud, which I like.

I welded mine on, then fashioned the mounts using a rubber isolated mount and a simple piece of flat aluminum stock for the front, and drilled the rear factory mount for a rubber isolated mount
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

N4RWM
Bob Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #476
ghettodub

Lost my front fender on the highway this weekend, but here's the most recent shot of my 800. She's getting lowered today as well!

ghettodub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #477
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettodub View Post
Lost my front fender on the highway this weekend, but here's the most recent shot of my 800. She's getting lowered today as well!

How the heck did you lose your fender? Also, are those drag bars on a Classic? Interesting.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #478
ghettodub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
How the heck did you lose your fender? Also, are those drag bars on a Classic? Interesting.

Lost the fender because I'm an idiot... I re-painted it, and when I put it back on, must not have torqued down the bolts enough...

And yes, drag bars.
ghettodub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #479
Tony G.

this is what she looked like day i brought her home. kinda rough but a lot is already underway for this project
Tony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #480
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G. View Post

this is what she looked like day i brought her home. kinda rough but a lot is already underway for this project
Well that is certainly a project. All that hacked up wiring looks less than fun. How much was it? What are you planning for it?

Advertisement