Houston... We have a problem!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
silverspurs

Default Houston... We have a problem!!

EVERY 1700 OWNER NEEDS TO TAKE THEIR FUEL TANK OFF AND UNDER GOOD LIGHTING, CHECK THE WIRES THAT GO INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE IGNITION TOWER FOR WEAR, FRAYING OR BURNING OFF OF THE INSULATION WHICH CAUSES A DEAD SHORT, CAUSING THE MAIN 30 AMP FUSE TO BLOW, COMPLETELY SHUTTING DOWN ALL SYSTEMS ON YOUR BIKE... THIS HAPPENED TO ME ON A TRIP TO CANADA, 2000 MILES FROM HOME AND RUINED A GREAT TRIP. I AM AWARE OF AT LEAST TWO OTHER 1700 OWNERS THAT HAVE NOTICED WEAR ON THESE WIRES JUST BELOW WHERE THEY COME OUT OF THE IGNITION TOWER... ONE INSTANCE COULD BE BAD LUCK... TWO PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM IS THE START OF A TREND... AND NOW THREE PEOPLE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM THAT I KNOW OF.... THAT'S A WARRANTY/RECALL ISSUE IN MY BOOK. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN... EVERY 1700 OWNER ALL MODEL YEARS NEED TO CHECK THIS... IT COULD SAVE YOU A TON OF TROUBLE FAR FROM HOME!!... LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!

My bike had 23000 miles on it when this occurred...

We need to know if others are finding this problem, and if so, we need to start a push for a recall/fix by Kawasaki...

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

I'll check mine tomorrow.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I'll check mine in March..... the next time I see it... has not been that long since I had the tank off and ran more wires up and around and through the ignition area on both sides. I was not "looking" for that issue but I did not see anything getting rubbed or chaffed at that time. I have put about 5k on it since.

With the vibrations on the engine and frame this thing puts out I can see it happening.

Silverspurs, now that you have found the problem and fixed it have you had any other fuse problems? I believe we were saying at the time for the main fuse to blow look around the ignition switch and wiring. Every time I have ever had the main fuse blow was a ignition switch problem.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 12-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
silverspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
I'll check mine in March..... the next time I see it... has not been that long since I had the tank off and ran more wires up and around and through the ignition area on both sides. I was not "looking" for that issue but I did not see anything getting rubbed or chaffed at that time. I have put about 5k on it since.

With the vibrations on the engine and frame this thing puts out I can see it happening.

Silverspurs, now that you have found the problem and fixed it have you had any other fuse problems? I believe we were saying at the time for the main fuse to blow look around the ignition switch and wiring. Every time I have ever had the main fuse blow was a ignition switch problem.
the bike has been perfect since that repair... and you were right on in predicting that the problem would be in that area...

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
silverspurs

I'm copying a post from another thread here because I think it is relevant to this discussion... you may or may not agree... that is ok... thanks rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Silver, funny how things turn out. I was wondering about what happened recently with your situation because of you being stuck out in the boonies and having to get back in a different manner.

I have never trusted manufacturers or builders. I usually just get familiar with any vehicle or bike I own and look for problem areas (rubbing, shorting, fraying, clearance issues, etc.) based on past experiences. So I doubt Mr. Kawasaki is going to consider bad placement of wiring a recall issue covered by warranty. This happens in anything driven or flown so we just have to remain diligent. I am glad it worked out favorably for you.
I agree, that folks should be checking periodically for wear, chaffing etc as a normal course of maintenance... stuff does wear out...

the reason this needs to be addressed by Kawi in my opinion, is that they ran a protective sleeve over these wires where they exit the ignition, this sleeve protects these wires... if they had extended that protective sleeve just a couple inches longer, this would not be happening... I believe that as people start accumulating mileage on their bikes, we are going to hear a lot more about this and I believe it is bad design on Kawi's part that could have been prevented with appropriate protection in what is an obvious wear area on this bike...

that's why I hope owners will post up their inspection results... if this is common on bikes with over 20000 miles, I believe Kawi needs to fix it with a retrofit... ymmv

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

This is good information. Thanks for posting it.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
chefdon1
Lifetime Premium

Default Problems in Nokomis

430am dead on the side of road, pushed to Walmart parking lot. Ater buying flashlight and reading glasses found main 30 amp fuse blown, replaced and as expected blew out immediatly. With a full tank of gas and no tools to remove the tank I had no choice but to called a grumpy person to pick me up. Waited till the rental car place opened to rent a car. Called the hook to take it to the dealer. Hopefully this is covered under extended warrentee.
chefdon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

chefdon let us know.... sounds like the chaffed wire on the frame thing..... I will be rechecking mine when I get moved.

Also can someone tell me a easy way to desperate the fuel lines. I always feel like I am going to break something when I do it.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
ridgeman06

Silverspurs,
Any chance of a picture as to this specific location of this potential problem spot? Or could you elaborate a little more in your description? I'm not sure what you mean by ignition tower?
Is the tank removal pretty straight forward, or is their certain tricks that I need to know.
I still don't have a service manual.
Thanks for any follow up, Eric
ridgeman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeman06 View Post
Silverspurs,
Any chance of a picture as to this specific location of this potential problem spot? Or could you elaborate a little more in your description? I'm not sure what you mean by ignition tower?
Is the tank removal pretty straight forward, or is their certain tricks that I need to know.
I still don't have a service manual.
Thanks for any follow up, Eric
Ridgeman, email me at tstorey61210@gmail.com about a service manual.
tstorey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement