Bikes and guns - Page 8 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #71
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Oh, and.....

light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #72
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Still those consequences are a better alternative than death or living with the fact that you could have saved someone else and didn't.
I agree...on the assumption that death or serious bodily injury is the only likely outcome.

Bear in mind that to avoid becoming a prison rape victim merely uttering the words "I was scared" isn't enough. The police and or judge & jury actually has to buy it.

Last edited by whoaru99; 12-02-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #73
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post

To threaten someone with an unloaded weapon, aside from being stupid, is called brandishing and in some cases will get you as much or more trouble as actually using the thing properly. In other cases it will get you dead. Keep in mind, the criminal element is not known for their intelligence or use of common sense.
I am going to disagree on the meaning of 'brandish'.

I looked up to definitions to ensure I wasn't mistaken; and I did not find any refrerence to a weapon being loaded or unloaded.

The inteded meaning of my usage was: "to exhibit aggressively"
My firearm was loaded or I would not have retrieved it.

For a better description of my encounter you can go here.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...2&postcount=16
I have since noticed that my location in the original post was off by a block (funny how 12 yrs or so can play with your memory)

BTW; Pat that horse died way to long ago to still have flesh; he should be beating a skeleton.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #74
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I am going to disagree on the meaning of 'brandish'.

I looked up to definitions to ensure I wasn't mistaken; and I did not find any refrerence to a weapon being loaded or unloaded.

The inteded meaning of my usage was: "to exhibit aggressively"
My firearm was loaded or I would not have retrieved it.

For a better description of my encounter you can go here.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...2&postcount=16
I have since noticed that my location in the original post was off by a block (funny how 12 yrs or so can play with your memory)

BTW; Pat that horse died way to long ago to still have flesh; he should be beating a skeleton.

Scott
Scott the point was "to threaten". Matters not that it was unloaded. It is still brandishing in the eyes of the law. Cheese seemed to be of the mind that as long as he didn't have ammo he would be golden, which simply isn't the case.

Who, it matters not in the big picture what a judge or jury thinks as long as one can live with a clear conscience. Live in fear of such things if you wish but in the end if you know you did the right thing nothing else matters. There's an old saying "think long, think wrong". In this case going in knowing the consequences of your actions and being willing to accept them will help keep you from delaying action which can save a life by taking another. If you let fear control your actions you will not win.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #75
Cheesefood

I'm of the mind that I can't kill someone. I have kids, I can't shoot a teenager who's in my house because he's broke and needs money for whatever reason. I can't justify killing someone who is out of options for money when I have more money than I need. I can't do it. I can't look at them and not see someone who was a young little boy like my kids who just doesn't have a great life.

Most burglaries are completely unarmed - they're there to grab something of value and leave. Stealing and killing are different ball parks. Most normal people have no desire to ever kill anyone. By few people are willing to go out in a blaze of glory, and even fewer would senselessly kill unarmed people.

Sorry but I believe you were fed a fantasy that caused you to buy a gun and ammo. I believe that 50 years ago people were sold a similar lie to buy bomb shelters.

No one seems to be skeptical of the marketing job of weapons dealers. You're skeptical of EVERYTHING else, but you trust your gun man. Every time a democrat is elected you're told to "stock up now, because (Carter, Clinton, Obama) is going to take your guns. Every time a Dem is elected gun and ammo sales go through the roof and none of them have really fought for gun control. They've asked questions, but have their been bans?

I know your guns give you a sense of security and make you feel safer than me. Friends, l'm 37 years old and I've never felt the need to draw a piece. I like shooting guns because it's fun and it makes me also feel powerful, but it's just not a practical use for $500 of mine (to buy one).

You know what's better than a gun? A Rottweiler. They provide security and love.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #76
carthadys

Cheese, if you don't want one. Don't buy one. Those of us that choose to exercise our second amendment rights in a lawful manner don't have to agree with you.
Originally this started as a thread for someone that was interested in purchasing a handgun and wanted some recommendations and asked why some people do choose to carry. Not why people don't.

So basically carry or don't. Lets get back to discussing some of the awesome handgun options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #77
Cheesefood

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthadys View Post
Cheese, if you don't want one. Don't buy one. Those of us that choose to exercise our second amendment rights in a lawful manner don't have to agree with you.
Originally this started as a thread for someone that was interested in purchasing a handgun and wanted some recommendations and asked why some people do choose to carry. Not why people don't.

So basically carry or don't. Lets get back to discussing some of the awesome handgun options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Quit arguing a controversial topic? Sir, are you new to the Internet?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #78
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

CF,
You keep implying that gun owners are tricked by Hollywood or advertisers or whoever.

But, your statements show either you are intentionally arguing a falsehood; or you are the one mislead into believing all criminals are some kind of Jean Valjean sympathetic character.

The news THIS morning in Chicago shows that is not the case.

*Five shootings left seven people injured overnight, as Chicago's unseasonably warm weekend continued to be a violent one. The shootings followed an afternoon and evening in which eight people were shot, one fatally. Earlier in the weekend, 15 people were shot, four of them fatally, between 6 p.m. Friday night and Saturday morning.

Some people believe that all gun ownership is responsible for gun violence; if that is your view then argue that point.
But, trying to say there are not dangerous criminals in the world is ridiculous.

(Sorry for the cut & paste job) (the following are all from Chicago)

*Police are seeking two suspects after two men were wounded during a shooting and home invasion early today in North Aurora.The victims were in an apartment in the 100 block of South River Road around 7:05 a.m. when the shooting took place. Upon arrival, police said they found a 23-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the chest and another male, 22, with a gunshot wound to the arm.

*A shooting and home invasion in west suburban Lyons Saturday morning ended with one of the three gunmen shot in the head, apparently by one of his cohorts. Police were called to the 8700 block of Plainfield Road at 5:58 a.m. after receiving a 911 call saying that three men were shooting at a residence there, according to Lyons Police Sgt. Matt Buckley.

*October 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say a 21-year-old man was shot in the head during an apparent home invasion on the city's South Side. The victim was pronounced dead Thursday around noon at the scene in the 600-block of East 87th Place in the Chatham neighborhood. Police are searching for the suspect.

*CHICAGO (CBS) — A 16-year-old boy was killed and his mother was critically injured when they were both shot in the head during a home invasion Tuesday morning in the Avondale neighborhood.Two gunmen in dark clothing and masks stormed into their home on the 3400 block of North Lawndale Avenue around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday and shot the teen and his 33-year-old mother in the head.Andre Vasquez, 16, and his mother were both taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in critical condition. Vasquez was later pronounced dead Tuesday afternoon, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.His mother, Krystal Hethcoat, has been in surgery Tuesday afternoon and was listed in critical condition.

*Chicago police arrested a 21-year-old man Sunday morning who they say dragged a woman in an alley and attacked her as she was jogging through the Old Town Triangle neighborhood.The woman, in her 50s, was going for an early morning jog when her attacker approached and grabbed her about 7:30 a.m. in the 300 block of West Menomonee Street, police said

*On a Gold Coast street teeming with women joggers and moms pushing high-end strollers, a woman told police she was grabbed Tuesday night by a man while walking from an elevator to her apartment door and sexually assaulted in her home.The assault occurred about 10:30 p.m. inside the woman’s apartment a mid-rise building in the 1300 block of North Dearborn, police said.

*Kelly Davis wonders what would have happened had he been looking the other way for just a few moments.He was standing in Daley Plaza watching his two young daughters slide down the Picasso sculpture Saturday night when he saw a man rushing toward daughter Myla, 2.The man grabbed the girl's arm, muttering, "This is my daughter, Goldilocks." But Davis said he was able to fight him off and then chased him through alleys and building lobbies before finally flagging down police.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #79
BigDog

lets talk about zombies!!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #80
Cyclesarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
I'm of the mind that I can't kill someone. I have kids, I can't shoot a teenager who's in my house because he's broke and needs money for whatever reason. I can't justify killing someone who is out of options for money when I have more money than I need. I can't do it. I can't look at them and not see someone who was a young little boy like my kids who just doesn't have a great life.

Most burglaries are completely unarmed - they're there to grab something of value and leave. Stealing and killing are different ball parks. Most normal people have no desire to ever kill anyone. By few people are willing to go out in a blaze of glory, and even fewer would senselessly kill unarmed people.

Sorry but I believe you were fed a fantasy that caused you to buy a gun and ammo. I believe that 50 years ago people were sold a similar lie to buy bomb shelters.

No one seems to be skeptical of the marketing job of weapons dealers. You're skeptical of EVERYTHING else, but you trust your gun man. Every time a democrat is elected you're told to "stock up now, because (Carter, Clinton, Obama) is going to take your guns. Every time a Dem is elected gun and ammo sales go through the roof and none of them have really fought for gun control. They've asked questions, but have their been bans?

I know your guns give you a sense of security and make you feel safer than me. Friends, l'm 37 years old and I've never felt the need to draw a piece. I like shooting guns because it's fun and it makes me also feel powerful, but it's just not a practical use for $500 of mine (to buy one).

You know what's better than a gun? A Rottweiler. They provide security and love.
Most normally people wouldn't run you off the road on your bike either. Do you not bother worrying about that either?

BTW, I have a pittbull/terrier mix, and a Louisville slugger behind the front door, can't ever be TOO ready.
And to answer your question, YES, there HAVE been bans. How do you not know that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread