give me your best advice for cornering - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > New Riders

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
Cheesefood

Yesterday I was riding around and ground my pegs for the first time. I panicked - ALMOST hit the brakes, but remembered my MSC course and throttled harder knowing that the bike REALLY wants to be upright when it's moving. Came out of the corner looking and feeling great.

I think there's value to parking lots, but they're not real Liffey with curbs and such. I've been riding around my neighborhood to practice, but then I get self-conscious aout how loud those Cobra pipes really are.
Cheesefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
chi-rider

Garage

Practice! Try to learn something everytime u ride. U have to get to the point that it all just happens without thinking. That will happen if you keep an open mind and try new things in a safe place. Once you get comfortable on your own then you get to learn it all again riding two up.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Baron Crash Bars
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn ISO Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Mini Silver bullet brake lights
Scoot Works Phat Riser II's
Arlen Ness Scalloped Big Sucker
V&H Pro Pipe
V&H Fuelpak
Saddlemen Profiler seat
Barnet and Galfer Stainless control cables
Cobra Passenger floorboards and bag supports
Chilhowee Leather bags
American Biker Tool bag
Chrome Breather filter
chi-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Cheesefood

Went out for an hour long ride today and it went great. Felt more comfortable at 50+, did well on corners and had more fun. Brings me back to learning to drive a car and being scared poopless when cars were on the other side of the road.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
Old Bear
Premium Member

Order a copy of A Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code. This is the guy that actually documented two-wheel cornering science. If you have the bucks, attend one of his riding schools around the country for one-on-one training. The DVD is great for explaining the science, but there is no substitute for an experienced instructor watching you to point out what you are doing right, or wrong.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
pcarrell

Tar snakes are slippery, as are painted lines when wet.
My 2001 Drifter 1500
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
claytonvrider

I tend to stay off the white line where lose gravel tends to be, In 07 i was rolling around a corner an hit a patch of gravel throwing me off the road the bike indoed, hitting me in the back, ten broken ribs, punchered lung, ripped spline, almost lost my leg, 30 days in ICU, dont ride the low side anymore, an I dont ride on the edge you might say, still love to ride just slowed down a little on the corners.
claytonvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #27
Blockhead
Top Contributor

Almost every time out for a ride I find an empty parking lot and work on the drills I learned in MSF class. I've really gotten to know my bike well while doing this. Been riding for about a year now and can throw my 900 around pretty good at low speed etc. Yes it can be boring but I've learned a lot. The trick now is to not get too cocky because I have confidence.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Dan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post

In addition to wearing tighty-whities and jeans, I also carry as least one, and usually more than one, firearm. Did I misunderstand the question?
TMI buddy.

MSF Course is the way and practice. Otherwise the TW's won't be white for very long.

If you are fairly new to street riding, having a partner to ride with really helps. They can safely assist with traffic management (in so much as you can). But it's good to have someone along to follow or follow you.

Good luck and have fun.

Looks like cooler weather is on the way; back down into the 50's for highs
Dan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
Cheesefood

Yeah, got up to 72 today but it's gloomy, wet and drizzly most of the day. The sun peeked out over lunch but it's gone now. I was hoping it'd be nicer out and i would have ridden to and from work, but it was foggy and moist this morning and it's gonna be wetter tonight.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Yeah, got up to 72 today but it's gloomy, wet and drizzly most of the day. The sun peeked out over lunch but it's gone now. I was hoping it'd be nicer out and i would have ridden to and from work, but it was foggy and moist this morning and it's gonna be wetter tonight.
Sounds like SC, foggy as all hell this morning but 73 when I got off so definitely worth the ride but I have til Wednesday before the rain gets here

Sent from my Nexus S
chi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement