Heated Gloves - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Spridol

Default Heated Gloves

I would love to extend my riding into the winter. I can handle the cold except for my hands. Any thoughts on heated gloves? I am not real keen on plugging in my gloves, but I am concerned about the effectiveness of battery powered gloves. Any suggestions are welcome.
Spridol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
tedkawi

I do have electric gloves, however, due to the heating elements and padding, they tend to be too thick for effective control of the throttle and brake levers. The wires are also all over the place bec it's coming from the battery.

Heated grips and grip guards may be a better option. An extra silk liner also helps.
tedkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Vulcar

My girlfriend uses the Gerbing product line for her heated clothing and loves it. I installed a dual thermostat on her bike they sell so she can heat her gloves and socks at the same time at different temps. The gloves she just purchased are very soft leather and do not seem to cause any issue with handling the grips. She has a liner that the gloves plug directly into so she does not have to run the wire through her sleeves anymore.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
Vulcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Corigan

My wife and I both have a pair of Gerbing G3's and love them. I can operate the motorcycle fine with them on.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Hatchcover

Last winter I used the chemical heat pouches. I would slide one in my long winter gloves just up to my wrist. They didn't interfere with any handling at that location and provided the heat needed. You could somewhat control the amount of heat by flexing your wrist (pumping more oxygen in as needed or not). Anyway - it works for me and it's a cheap!
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Spridol

Before dropping $200 on battery heated gloves, I tried the chemical pouches. They worked pretty well. The ends of my fingers still got cold, but nothing like how it was without the pouches. I think I'll stick with them through the winter.
Spridol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
IL Vaquero

I ordered a pair of battery grabber gloves today hope they work said 8hrs of heat time 4 aa batterys each glove will try rechargeable one to see how long they will last.buying batterys would get pricey after awhile says to turn them off for alittle bit and back on will improve battery life. and dont store with batterys in them. Lower chaps next.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Rescue Wagon

Has anyone installed handguards on a 900? That's an option I've wanted to go with since my ride to and from work is about 30mins each way and it seems like a waste to use chemical heaters.
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
Rescue Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Hatchcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon View Post
Has anyone installed handguards on a 900? That's an option I've wanted to go with since my ride to and from work is about 30mins each way and it seems like a waste to use chemical heaters.
Just slide the chemical pouch into a zip lock bag. The chemical reaction stops due to lack of oxygen. Starts back as soon as you pull them out again - provided you haven't used them past their intended life.
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
bass567

Default Glove liners

I also tend to ride year-round, althought given where I live (NY) there are periods when this is kinda tricky (snow and ice on the road). Frost itself is typically not that hard to beat, if you prepare well for each ride and have the right gear.

I agree, fingers even in very thick gloves go first.

A few weeks back I got a pair of glove liners and the results are amazing. They help soooo much! I am still waiting for a really bad freezing weather to test them out, but I think it is a much simpler solution than messing with the wires - let alone the cost advantage. They were like $10 or so.

I will report back once I go for some longer rides in freezing weather, but so far, I am impressed -- really, beyond expectations. Try it out and see if it would work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement