difference on fuel tuners/power commanders ?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
diehard rider
Top Contributor

Well you both disagree with me, can you please tell me why?

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
diehard rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
Well you both disagree with me, can you please tell me why?
Your accessory list shows a Cobra FI 2000R auto tuner not a Power Commander..does it work for you? Auto tune vs. fuel tuner (adjust your own pots) same thing if you know what your doing.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
diehard rider
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post
Your accessory list shows a Cobra FI 2000R auto tuner not a Power Commander..does it work for you? Auto tune vs. fuel tuner (adjust your own pots) same thing if you know what your doing.
In my listing I have a fi2000R fuel processor not the auto tuner and wish I had the PC5. What I was stating was that whatever you want to call it auto tuner/ fuel tuner/ power pro/ processor...they all do the same thing, they only curve the air/fuel mixture and thats all they do, unlike the PC5 that has a lot more to offer.

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
diehard rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
tcrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
I enthusiastically disagree
can you please elaborate for us that still in the process of buying ??
I don'T think I'll go for the auto tuner-power commander anyway. To expensive for me...
Thanks again for everybodys input...
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
In my listing I have a fi2000R fuel processor not the auto tuner and wish I had the PC5. What I was stating was that whatever you want to call it auto tuner/ fuel tuner/ power pro/ processor...they all do the same thing, they only curve the air/fuel mixture and thats all they do, unlike the PC5 that has a lot more to offer.
You got me on the FI2000R not being an Auto tune fuel processor. My concern was with your first statement that "The fuel tuners only curve the air and fuel mixture with no gain of HP". Adding a fuel package at preset intervals to an engine that is nonrestrictive is going to have HP gains.

I did look at the pluses that the PC 5 offers...wow are we racing these cruisers? Do we need timing changes or is it even possible to adjust the timing on these work horses? Do we need different fuel mapping on our speed/shifting titrations? Adjusting fuel maps on individual cylinders (V-twin) according to 02 sensor readings...C-mon hoss...where does it stop?

I just like to cruise safely and be able to power out of trouble or pass a tractor trailer with room to spare with a passenger. I have the basic 4 pot Dolbeck TFI. To the OP...do your research and search this out more on this site. There's some processors that do too much for our needs.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
tcrider

Will do. Thanks for the info provided...
I think I'll wait to mod the air filter box(move the snorkel to the side facing the front of the bike)until i get a tuner ( fi2000,arlen ness cheap shot, dobeck,etc.) Otherwise my bike will run too lean. Correct ?? I have debaffled stock pipes at the moment...
I'll post later with results. Thanks again..
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrider View Post
can you please elaborate for us that still in the process of buying ??
I don'T think I'll go for the auto tuner-power commander anyway. To expensive for me...
Thanks again for everybodys input...
Sure, correcting a lean fuel mixture does result in an increase in horsepower. Any time an engine runs properly you will see performance enhancements. So, the statement that fuel tuners don't result in increased horsepower is not correct. Some just don't require input from the rider (Dobek, Techlusion, Bully, Cobra, V&H) or a computer (PC), hence the term "auto tuner".

The Power Commander statement that it is best is strictly an OPINION based on the witers experience. Cobra makes an auto tuner that works as well. So therefore, I disagree with his statements. That does not make him wrong, or me right, it just means we disagree.

Last edited by KenDawg; 12-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
KenDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
KenDawg
Top Contributor

diehardrider,

I had a Dobek, and I had an increase in HP when the air/fuel ratio was adjusted correctly. I took it to a local shop to have them fine tune it. The Dyno Operator (shop owner) told me it was a waste of my money. I had it running as well as he would have gotten it. He could have take me for $275 but did the right thing.

I switched to the Cobra Auto tune because I change out pipes (stock, debaffled, and Cobra 2-1), air cleaner (stock, BAK, and Cobra Powerflow) based on my whims. I change elevations riding from my home to my daughters house in CO, and my Dads in ID. Rather than readjust the Dobek, I thought an autotuner would be easier (it is). I am sure a PC-5would work as well. I am just not a die hard PC guy. Therefore, I disagree. Nothing personal. I am sure you have reasons for your statement. My experiences lead me to a different conclusion. Ride safe!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
diehardrider,

I had a Dobek, and I had an increase in HP when the air/fuel ratio was adjusted correctly. I took it to a local shop to have them fine tune it. The Dyno Operator (shop owner) told me it was a waste of my money. I had it running as well as he would have gotten it. He could have take me for $275 but did the right thing.

I switched to the Cobra Auto tune because I change out pipes (stock, debaffled, and Cobra 2-1), air cleaner (stock, BAK, and Cobra Powerflow) based on my whims. I change elevations riding from my home to my daughters house in CO, and my Dads in ID. Rather than readjust the Dobek, I thought an autotuner would be easier (it is). I am sure a PC-5would work as well. I am just not a die hard PC guy. Therefore, I disagree. Nothing personal. I am sure you have reasons for your statement. My experiences lead me to a different conclusion. Ride safe!
You did the right thing going with the Cobra Powrpro Fi2000 IMHO. It is a true plug & play. I have one on my VTX1800 and like the performance. I also have the PCV with Autotune on my VN900 with no complaints. It did, however, take a lot of time to install in comparison. My Cobra pipes, for instance, didn't have a bung for me to install the Cobra O2 sensor so that had to be laid out and welded up. Wiring harnesses stretch from the front of the frame to the tool box where the two modules are resting. Up to the OP if he just wants to add fuel or have the engine running the best it can during all riding conditions.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Most of all the pertinant stuff has been covered on this thread. I've had Doebeck on previous bikes with good results. It's a great product for the price and does give a boost in performance as well as cool down the running temp.

However I hear the PCV with Ignition adjustments will offer more performance increases for the Vulcans, since they give you the ability to adjust the lookup tables (before hand, by trial and error etc) on every cell and rpm range. Additionally you can advance the ignition in areas where you can get away without knocking. This gives you more ability to escape the oppression of the EPA.

Keep in mind any "auto" tune advertisement will only apply to bikes with 02 Sensors (my Vulcan has no 02 sensors). Also some units will sell you a bung and sensor to mount in the pipes yourself, this goes to a dash meter to give you a readout and even some will have the ability to adjust the bikes ECU in real time.

Also keep in mind if it's a narrow band 02 sensor (like most OEM ones are) it can only auto tune in the closed loop rpm range which is idle and cruising (no load ranges).

For load ranges the narrow band units bust out of closed loop (on acceleration) and run in open loop where the lookup tables are chosen based on input from the TPS, MAP and other sensors. They cannot be adjusted on the fly (or automatically in real time) in open loop. A narrow band sensor can only read whether the A/F is at stoich (14.7 for pump gas) or above or below. It cannot read how much above or below.

The more expensive units will supply a wide band 02 sensor which can then adjust in real time the A/F mix throughout the entire rpm and load range. A wide band sensor can read the actual A/F through a wider range, being able to decipher more than just above or below stoich. This gives it the ability to read what the mix actually is at any range and then adjust the ECU and injectors to the target A/F.
R_W_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement