Installed Cobras / No Popping! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
11NOMAD

Garage
Default Installed Cobras / No Popping!

2 years ago I installed Cobra slip ons on my 09 Classic Lt & experienced quite a bit of decel popping. I had already replaced the stock air filter with a K&N. Dealer told me to add a fuel processor to help eliminate the popping, so i did. I bought the Cobra Fi200R fuel processor & never got it adjusted well enough to eliminate any popping. What a waste of $180. I loved the sound of the Cobras so i tolerated the popping. Fast forward 2 years & I now have a 2011 Nomad with a K&N air filter & Cobra Scalloped Tip slip ons & there is absolutely no decel popping at all with out a fuel processor, so go figure. Needless to say i'm a happy camper. This will be the extent of my "performance" upgrades along with RACNRAYS throttle mod which did more good than anything else. I couldn't be happier with it's rideability & performance after these 3 simple mods.
Kuryakyn Iso Grips W/
RACNRAYS' throttle mod
K&N Air Filter
Grasshopper Backrest
Edmonds Enterprises Custom Lowers
11NOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

I've got an '06 Vulcan Classic with Cobra 2-into-1's and Baron's Big Air Kit. Every So Often I get a de-acceleration pop. I think it usually happens when I'm downshifting to slow down quick and letting off the throttle, and it doesn't happen often enough for me really to care much. Got the Cobra Fi200R also.

I definitely think adding the Cobra Fi200R has given me more power, particularly on the highway - but this is all just subjectively speaking.

Love this bike. If I had to go back in time and pick only one thing to do to it, I think it would definitely be the pipes.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
kovo

11NOMAD, any chance you could post a drive-by video, I would love to hear what those pipes sound like in the real world? I would really like to get rid of the catalytic converters and let my bike breathe better but I don't want noisy pipes. I'm thinking the ones you have may solve my problem but the videos on youtube don't really let you hear them. In either case, I'm glad you got it running the way you want it.

Kovo
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
11NOMAD

Garage

Kovo, the drive by may take awhile if at all. These mufflers can get noisy. The deeper into the throttle, the noisier, but i like i stated, hiway cruising is barely louder than stock to me. Videos are probably going to vary quite a bit based on a lot of different variables. All i can tell you is that these produce the exact sound levels I was looking for. I bought the Cobra Scalloped Tip slip ons #4224 from bikertrends.com for $377.36 with free shipping. You may have to just go for it, i don't think you will be dissapointed.
Kuryakyn Iso Grips W/
RACNRAYS' throttle mod
K&N Air Filter
Grasshopper Backrest
Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Vulcanskier

11Nomad,
I traded my 09 Nomad for a 12 Voyager. The Voyager has more power and generally runs smoother. I wonder if this is due to mods done by Kawasaki over the 3 years? Maybe it's the same for your observations?
Vulcanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
11NOMAD

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanskier View Post
11Nomad,
I traded my 09 Nomad for a 12 Voyager. The Voyager has more power and generally runs smoother. I wonder if this is due to mods done by Kawasaki over the 3 years? Maybe it's the same for your observations?
You may have something there. The only other difference besides going from a 2009 Classic LT to a 2011 Nomad is that the Nomad is a California model. I really don't think that would have any thing to do with it though. At first i was really p.o'ed about being sold a California model without being told but come to find out the dealer didn't know they were selling some California models. It doesn't matter now cause i couldn't be happier with it.
Kuryakyn Iso Grips W/
RACNRAYS' throttle mod
K&N Air Filter
Grasshopper Backrest
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
SoCalCruiser

11NOMAD, thanks for your comments on the Cobra slip-ons. I'm considering those on my 2011 Nomad, or possibly the Tri-oval. I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a chance to hear each of these to compare. Many seem to like the Tri-ovals and I'm concerned the scalloped tips may be too loud. Personally I like the look of the scalloped though.
SoCalCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
11NOMAD

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCruiser View Post
11NOMAD, thanks for your comments on the Cobra slip-ons. I'm considering those on my 2011 Nomad, or possibly the Tri-oval. I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a chance to hear each of these to compare. Many seem to like the Tri-ovals and I'm concerned the scalloped tips may be too loud. Personally I like the look of the scalloped though.
SoCalCruiser, I have not heard any Tri-Ovals in person, bit i have heard them on a Nomad at idle on youtube. To be honest i think there is more difference in looks than there is in sound between Tri-Ovals & the Scalloped tips. Sound is very subjective, & loud is relative. All i can tell you is that i don't want "loud" mufflers either & i don't consider the Cobra Scalloped Tip slip-ons loud. When cruising they are hardly louder than stock. Here is a video of a Nomad like mine with Tri-Ovals & mine are certainly not any louder than this, in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NyqwPxBU0-Q
Kuryakyn Iso Grips W/
RACNRAYS' throttle mod
K&N Air Filter
Grasshopper Backrest
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCruiser View Post
If this helps, the scalloped tips that I have were not loud enough at first. I did modify them to soot my taste. Also if you slide out the baffle, there's plenty of room to add packing around it to make it even quieter.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
SoCalCruiser

Appreciate the comments guys. I think I'll go with the scalloped tips... once I get a little change back from the IRS .
I have an EJK that I'll go ahead and install so I can play with it. I expect it to help the bike run a bit better even with the stock exhaust (and K&N filter)- maybe reduce the popping.
SoCalCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement