Bikes and guns - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
Cyclesarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Anyone remember "Black Talons"? They will ruin your whole day!

Yep, the heavy bullet makes them great for suppressed use as they stay sub-sonic. They say the Winchester Ranger SXTs are the Same eXact Thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #32
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesarge View Post
Yep, the heavy bullet makes them great for suppressed use as they stay sub-sonic. They say the Winchester Ranger SXTs are the Same eXact Thing.
They probably are the same. The name "Black Talon" became politically incorrect when someone went into a gun shop and asked for some of that 'black felon' ammo!

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #33
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I don't carry. Like others I've never really felt the need too, though I guess, you never need it until you do right? Kinda like wearin' a helmet. It's a waste of time 99% of the time. It's that one time you needed it...

I love to shoot though. Don't currently own a handgun unfortunately, traded my .357 Magnum for another rifle and never got around to picking up another handgun. But man I did love to shoot that thing!

My favorite rifle I have right now is a 1943 Lee Enfield rifle, fires .303 British rounds. Absolute blast (no pun intended) to shoot.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Hardcore Democrat and very liberal person here.

I like guns. Thinking about getting one, but in 37 years of living in very diverse areas, from heavily gang occupied to suburban white-bread, I've never once felt the need for a gun. I like guns, but I'm not scared enough of anyone or anything to need one.

Thinking about getting a shotgun for home protection. Probably won't get any ammo, because honestly no one is going to call my bluff on it if it's pointed at their genitals.
May be a bit foolish in thought there. Displaying a weapon may provoke an exchange and your empty gun may potentially lead to your demise when you can't fire back. Worse two sounds a person may hear is a "Click" when it should go "Bang", and it going "Bang" when it should go "Click"!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
Ghost

Before you do anything I suggest you do a google search on concealed carry forums. There are plenty of forums that are geared to the subject. I personnally go to a couple on a regular basis. If it's a about a particular gun, same thing. There are forums for most every brand with sections on the particular gun you're interested in. You can find lots of advise from people there. Way more info than you'll get in a post on a motorcycle forum. Do lots of research, go to gunshops and rent whatever it is you want to buy. See if you really like it before you drop your coin on it. Buying the wrong gun is gonna cost you. You won't get your money back if you trade it in.

As for me if it's cool enough to wear a jackett or vest I carry a Glock 26 when I ride. With a round in the chamber. Always. Hides easy in a IWB holster. Mine is an MTAC. If it's to hiot for a vest then I have a Taurus TCP738 that I pocket carry. That ones a 380.

Good luck in your quest!
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie.Nomad View Post
I am glad we don't need to have a discussion like this, here in Aussie land.
No need to carry weapons, for one's safety.
Although there are some drive by shootings here, they are omc related
Unfortunately, our culture has devolved into tribes, for lots of reasons. Loss of shared experiences, cynical politicians who divide us into interest groups to pander to us, and so on.

I can remember 35-40 years ago when we had pretty much the same cultural reference points across the board- pretty much all of us watched the same TV shows, giving us something to talk about Monday at work or school. There were basically 3 radio stations- country, rock, and Public Radio. We all pretty much listened to the same music, or at least were exposed to it. We shopped at the same stores, watched the same moves.

Now, on any given day, I can choose from 30 theaters to go see a film. I can choose between 200 channels on my TV. I can go my entire life never having to listen to a piece of music I don't care for for more than 10 seconds. Our culture has become a smorgasbord. All this choice is great for the consumer, but it erodes our commonality and shared experience. Cruise through the checkout lines at WalMart or Safeway and check out the "celebrity" mags and see how many people are on the cover that most of America has never heard of.

To compound the problem, America is intensely multi-cultural- intentionally so. This has had a lot of positive affect in adding spice to our collective experience. Great Mexican food is as common as dirt these days nearly everywhere. In urban areas Jamaican, African, Mediterranean, Indian and Asian cuisine and art are plentiful. But it has a downside, when we elevated all cultures o equal status in America and downplayed the need to assimilate. Rather than the first generation of immigrants making Americans out of the second, we have 3rd and even 4th generations clinging to their culture and separating themselves. We have become culturally Balkanized.

Politics further divides and separates us and pits us against one another-whites vs minorities, men vs women, young vs old, religious vs secular, rich vs poor, and so on. Each side paints the other as extremists who (naturally) said politician will protect you from, and the result has been a catastrophic (in my view) divisiveness that will be very, very difficult to undo.

All of these factors have made our culture increasingly distant and has destroyed empathy. The poor don't see the rich as someone to emulate and be like, they see them as greedy and uncaring. The rich don't see the poor as unfortunates who need to be helped out of poverty, they see them as mooches and takers. And so it goes with all our divisions.

This is a long winded explanation of why so any people feel the need to carry weapons for personal protection here. 35 years ago, kids brought guns to school to go hunting afterwards. Teachers did too. No one ever got shot. We all knew guns didn't kill people by themselves. We had self control based on a shared cultural value. Now, we feel as if we're enclaves of people living among foreigners. We all have our own little cultural demographic within which we operate and the others may as well be Timbuktu.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder

Last edited by PatC; 12-01-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
Pappyman

When I was married this discussion came up with my step daughter. She is a cutie and about a size 1. She loved to shoot and became quite proficient at it. We did our due dilligence for quite a long time and bought her a Ruger LCR which was mentioned earlier. Absolute reliability in a compact package. Will fire upside down if needed, will not jam and is compact enough to fit in a purse, boot, waistband, etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #38
carthadys

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yeah, I have a Beretta 92 as well and it's a pleasure to shoot, but that thing is a tanker compared to the LC9, and ginormous compared to the LCP (380).

The LCP is a small handgun that still packs a reasonably decent punch.

Top to bottom: LCP, Beretta 92, LC9 (laser makes it look a lot more bulky than the pistol itself is).

Left to right: Beretta 92, LC9, LCP.

Beretta 92:

Ruger LCP:
My only issue with the Ruger LCP is that it is bad for those of us with bigger hands. The recoil causes the trigger guard to hit your trigger finger and after 4 or 5 shots it is pretty sore. It's just not an enjoyable shooting experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
May be a bit foolish in thought there. Displaying a weapon may provoke an exchange and your empty gun may potentially lead to your demise when you can't fire back. Worse two sounds a person may hear is a "Click" when it should go "Bang", and it going "Bang" when it should go "Click"!
+1 to that. Although to Cheesefood, I'll say I think you could have a lot of fun learning to shoot. It's a challenging and fun hobby.

I'm of the opinion though, that if a gun is used it should have only one intention. The reason there is so much 'debate' going on right now is because we have this silly idea that a gun could ever be used as a non-lethal weapon. We have police officers in some areas carrying smaller caliber rounds or being trailed to fire at the legs (though it's few, it still happens). But even a 9mm in the femeral artery in the leg is as lethal as a .45 to the chest...

Hopefully you'd never have to use it, but when you draw your weapon it is going to instantly provoke the fight or flight response in the agressor. This is a primordal, instinctual, ingrained-in part of the human body. Adrenaline flows, blood vessels contract, and the brain goes into an almost animal like state. At this point, the aggressor is either going to run away faster than they've ever run in their life, freeze up completely, or attack you with incredible vigor. If the first two happen, you are golden, if the latter happens, you need to make a decision and having an unloaded weapon that has served no purpose other than driving up their adrenaline is going to seriously limit your options, especially if they have a gun...

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #40
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Anyone remember "Black Talons"? They will ruin your whole day!
Yeah, I still have a couple boxes in .45 ACP.

I'll never load them for self defense though. Not that they're any more deadly than the rounds you can get today, but some lawyer would have a heyday trying to paint you as solely intent on death and destruction for using them based on the old (but false) stigma the carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread