difference on fuel tuners/power commanders ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
tcrider

Default difference on fuel tuners/power commanders ??

Hi, I'm doing some research on fuel tuners and I understand the difference between the way-to-expensive-to-me "auto-tuners" and the cheap fuel tuners.

So I think I'll go with the Fuel Tuner and found several different brands at different prices.
Do they have to be specifically for the 900 ?? Or you can get any and make it work? For example, the same Arlen Ness Cheap-shot fuel tuner for a Yamaha was cheaper than the one for the 900..
I apologize if I'm asking something that seems stupid, I want to make sure I get the right one for the best price..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
KenDawg
Top Contributor

TCRider,

They are bike specific. Pretty much all do the same thing, add fuel to keep the bike running safely. If you are a Vet, Dobek gives a good discount. Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrider View Post
Hi, I'm doing some research on fuel tuners and I understand the difference between the way-to-expensive-to-me "auto-tuners" and the cheap fuel tuners.

So I think I'll go with the Fuel Tuner and found several different brands at different prices.
Do they have to be specifically for the 900 ?? Or you can get any and make it work? For example, the same Arlen Ness Cheap-shot fuel tuner for a Yamaha was cheaper than the one for the 900..
I apologize if I'm asking something that seems stupid, I want to make sure I get the right one for the best price..
Depending on how each manufacturer hooks their fuel manager to the bike's existing wiring there may be a difference between bikes when it comes to plug ends. I would stick with the model specific for your bike.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
ChevelleSSLS6

I love my dobeck, more tuning options than the cobra. Dobeck units are made here in the USA as well.

Is there a Gadget page for us 900 owners???

Vulcan 900 "oily air filter" fix

Get 3-4 feet of tranny line from parts store that's the same ID as the stock vent line. Attach to jug, route hose up to bottom of fuel tank around wires and back down to airbox, cut off excess (leave a little slack so wires are NOT under tension) and attach to airbox. Reinstall everything.
ChevelleSSLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
diehard rider
Top Contributor

The fuel tuners only curve the air and fuel mixture with no gain of HP. Now the power commander will let you change or have a map built just for your bikes set up and you'll get the max performance from it. The power commander will run you more $ but worth much more in the end. Good luck!

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Kawi 14" Windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
D&D slip on exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
diehard rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Collinba

Garage

Anyone have a Power Commander V map for a 900 with V&H staggered slashcuts and Cobra Powerflow air intake.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
IL Vaquero

you can get one off dynojet web site.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Collinba

Garage

I can't find it under the MAP SEARCH. They don't list a VN900 or a Cobra Powerflow air intake for any size engine.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
The fuel tuners only curve the air and fuel mixture with no gain of HP. Now the power commander will let you change or have a map built just for your bikes set up and you'll get the max performance from it. The power commander will run you more $ but worth much more in the end. Good luck!
I enthusiastically disagree
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
This is invalid and isn't worth addressing.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement