Bikes and guns - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Ruger LC9 is OK and not too spendy. Some people don't like the trigger but works fine for me.
Nice looking gun; at 17 oz. it is lighter than the 709, and if I am going to carry in my jacket, that is important.

I have a Ruger P89 and a Taurus PT 92-C.
I like both, but prefer the Taurus.

With a 9mm that small; is anything going to feel really good?
I guess I am going to have to find a range that will rent me a couple to see how they shoot.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Pappyman

Trouble with "never feeling the need for one" is that the one time you do feel the need the next feeling you will have may not be a good one.
It is your right to protect yourself. Just hope you never have to use it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
carthadys

I know someone mentioned the ruger LC9 but if you are going for a ruger gun I would go for their Ruger LCR which is a 5 shot revolver that comes in either .357 or .380. It is nice because it has no external spur and the grip extends up far enough that it cushions some of the recoil on your hand. The other nice piece is that it has a 7 lb trigger pull and it is long so the chance of negligent discharge is lessened.

Semi-automatics I am a fan of the Glock family. The Glock 19 and 26 are two good reliable 9mm pistols. Easy to use and easy to clean. BE ADVISED I don't recommend carrying these with a round in the chamber. There is no safety and it has a very easy trigger pull (5 lbs I believe). So there is a chance you could have a negligent discharge if you grab it in a rush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1354321919.420145.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	14397Ruger LCR

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1354321942.124293.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	14398Glock 26

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1354321959.462213.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	14399Glock 19

I personally carry a Glock 19 it fits me well. I have a special leather vest I ordered that has built in holsters inside the vest on either side.

Also training, training, training and some more training. Take a conceal carry class. Take a shooting class. Go on your own time to a local range and practice off. Not just target shoot but drawing from a conceal carry holster. Make sure you can draw and by ready to go quickly and smoothly.
www.parkerholster.com has some very good in the waistband conceal carry holsters.

Lastly, remember the LAST thing you want to have to do is shoot someone. Choose all other options before firing. Make sure that if you shoot it is because your life or the life of someone nearby is in imminent danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
carthadys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Hardcore Democrat and very liberal person here.

I like guns. Thinking about getting one, but in 37 years of living in very diverse areas, from heavily gang occupied to suburban white-bread, I've never once felt the need for a gun. I like guns, but I'm not scared enough of anyone or anything to need one.

Thinking about getting a shotgun for home protection. Probably won't get any ammo, because honestly no one is going to call my bluff on it if it's pointed at their genitals.
If you are going to have the shotgun get ammo. Not everyone is scared shitless of it. Remington 870 .12 gauge pump action is a good one. You can get rock salt loads if you on want to scare them off. Me personally I have .12 gauge hollow point slugs. I'm a single dad and I just don't mess around.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
BigDog

Someone that concealed carries just to have it, is a danger to everyone. Training and practice!!!!!! And the ability to unconceal in a safe way.remaining calm and in control.. Did i mention training and practice... I am 100% pro gun... 100% against someone carrying with no training!!! i carry a S&W bodyguard for light days and walther ol99 on the heavy flow days!!! LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthadys View Post
I know someone mentioned the ruger LC9 but if you are going for a ruger gun I would go for their Ruger LCR which is a 5 shot revolver that comes in either .357 or .380. It is nice because it has no external spur and the grip extends up far enough that it cushions some of the recoil on your hand. The other nice piece is that it has a 7 lb trigger pull and it is long so the chance of negligent discharge is lessened.

Semi-automatics I am a fan of the Glock family. The Glock 19 and 26 are two good reliable 9mm pistols. Easy to use and easy to clean. BE ADVISED I don't recommend carrying these with a round in the chamber. There is no safety and it has a very easy trigger pull (5 lbs I believe). So there is a chance you could have a negligent discharge if you grab it in a rush.

Attachment 14397Ruger LCR
Attachment 14398Glock 26
Attachment 14399Glock 19

I personally carry a Glock 19 it fits me well. I have a special leather vest I ordered that has built in holsters inside the vest on either side.

Also training, training, training and some more training. Take a conceal carry class. Take a shooting class. Go on your own time to a local range and practice off. Not just target shoot but drawing from a conceal carry holster. Make sure you can draw and by ready to go quickly and smoothly.
www.parkerholster.com has some very good in the waistband conceal carry holsters.

Lastly, remember the LAST thing you want to have to do is shoot someone. Choose all other options before firing. Make sure that if you shoot it is because your life or the life of someone nearby is in imminent danger.

All nice pistols! I wouldn't mind owning any of them.

Revolvers are dependable; but add to the width.

I like Glock, but they are wider, longer, and heavier than some of the other options.

Does that 19 start to feel heavy after a few hours in the saddle?

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
carthadys

I have had no problems with the weight of the 19. For me it has been comfortable all day long.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

I've got a Kahr CW9 that I really like. Thin & light. For those unfamiliar, Kahr makes guns that are basically American Glocks. Plastic frame and striker fired, but w/o the wierd (to me) grip angle. And also single stack. Never had a malfunction. The only drawback is capacity (7+1). But I figure if I'm ever in a situation where 8 bullets isn't enough, I was pretty much screwed from the beginning anyway. I've also got a CZ P01 for the afore mentioned "heavy flow" days. Just as reliable as the Kahr.

And I carry sometimes around town (not as much as I should), and always when I travel. The reciprocity laws cover all the places I go.

Last edited by Bill Braske; 11-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Aussie.Nomad
Lifetime Premium

Default Carrying handguns

I am glad we don't need to have a discussion like this, here in Aussie land.
No need to carry weapons, for one's safety.
Although there are some drive by shootings here, they are omc related
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Cyclesarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthadys View Post
If you are going to have the shotgun get ammo. Not everyone is scared shitless of it. Remington 870 .12 gauge pump action is a good one. You can get rock salt loads if you on want to scare them off. Me personally I have .12 gauge hollow point slugs. I'm a single dad and I just don't mess around.
+1, never point a deadly weapon at anyone unless you are prepared to use it. In most cases, the only justification for pointing a gun at someone is the eminent or implied threat of injury or death. Most states side with the homeowner in shootings where an intruder breaks in. Most, if not ALL, people that would break into your house KNOW this, and have decided to "take their chances" anyway. Pointing a gun at their genitals, will give them the feeling they need to kill you, before you kill them. The worst feeling ever has to be that when you get shot to death while wielding an empty gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread