A question about cooling systems and VV heat - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #41
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Just for kicks, I took a picture of the temp gauge on my 2011 Vaquero this morning. Keep in mind this is just after sitting at a red light for a while. I've seen the gauge get closer to the next white line, but never into the red.

For my part, I'm thinking I'm just feeling the engine heat more on this bike than I'm used to with other bikes.
Hey Lunatic, whats the weather like in your neck of the woods?

My bike never gets to the last white line unless it is above 90F outside. Which in my parts is often enough!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #42
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Hey Lunatic, whats the weather like in your neck of the woods?

My bike never gets to the last white line unless it is above 90F outside. Which in my parts is often enough!

Scott
Well, I'm in Florida. Weather is nice right now. Low 70's. Being Florida though, it does get pretty warm - and I'm a rather aggressive rider. I can definitely say the gauge goes farther to the right when I'm sitting in stop-and-go traffic in 90 degree heat.

I wonder if anybody has done anything with the radiator fan...i.e. maybe replaced it with a fan that pushes more air.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
Dozrtravlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Just for kicks, I took a picture of the temp gauge on my 2011 Vaquero this morning. Keep in mind this is just after sitting at a red light for a while. I've seen the gauge get closer to the next white line, but never into the red.

For my part, I'm thinking I'm just feeling the engine heat more on this bike than I'm used to with other bikes.

I mine sat there all the time I'd be happy but mine consistently sits at the 5th white mark and prior to the last coolant change nearly the 1 st red line.

At least it seems to be holding at the moment.

RacnRay or anyone else who may know about the VV cooling system and the path the fluid travels. A question, if there was/is a stubborn Air Pocket would laying the bike on one side or the other allow it to move out of its hidey hole thereby allowing it to travel up to the radiator cap to bleed away normally or manually?
Chrome cup holders,
Marvellas passenger and rider highway pegs,
Grasshoper backrest,
Kawasaki Gel seats,
Grey Sheepskin Seat covers,
Kawasaki Rear Speakers,
Ipod Kit,
H.D. trunk rack,
Chrome passenger board covers,
Chrome Engine plate,
Door Controller,
Fog Lights wired to High Beam on/off.
Speedo Healer, Backoff Brake Module
KAM's heat kit

BLue Knights BKAUS11 and
BlueLiners Australia

Ride with Pride
Dozrtravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #44
truckie

I have not taken the thermostat out of my bike but do they have a bleed hole ?.Also is the coolant moving around in the overflow bottle with the lid off and the engine at operating temperature.
truckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #45
wbilotta
Top Contributor

Big engine/small cooling system. You can't keep a 1.7 liter engine cool with a two quart cooling system. There is no magical additive that's going to make a noticeable difference on the bike.

Once you stop moving the cooling system is quickly overwhelmed and you feel the radiated heat. If someone could design air deflectors that mount to the side of the bike which could redirect the air flowing around the bike towards the engine and rider that would help.
2010 Voyager 1700 ABS with heated seats, Grasshopper backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs and an Ipod because the radio reception fades in and out. Also has a gear whine, fuel gauge that fluctuates too much and a pathetic cooling system.
wbilotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #46
Kim

There is its called KAMS Kawasaki air management system.My 2011 is still under warranty and it will cost $400.00 for this system. The 2012's come with it installed from the factory so they cant tell us they don't know there is a problem Come on guys stop trying to figure out if it's coolant,temp gauge, thermostat or whatever else you can come up with and complain to Kawasaki I did and they were rude and condescending and didn't give a shit what I thought. Maybe if more people complained they would do something. Kawasaki fucked up and doesn't want to pony up.simple.Pissed me off and I'm selling mine on principal and going to go back to my 03 classic. I'm damn glad I didn't sell it I realy would be pissed.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #47
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
There is its called KAMS Kawasaki air management system.My 2011 is still under warranty and it will cost $400.00 for this system.
Here's a question though:

Is KAMS strictly a rider comfort modification, or is KAMS a addressing a cooling issue with the bike?

Personally, I'm of the assumption that KAMS is simply a rider comfort modification, and not something I'm willing to go all out on $ 400 for.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #48
Kim

No It is an overall heat solution Designed to take away heat tn two parts This is to direct the heat flow from the rad under the bike and heat from the engine down beside the left passenger footboard. The kit includes a new radiator, shrouds, blower fan and the electronics.
The kit number is 99994-0370, and is $399.95.
Don't assume go look it up. and complain to Kawasaki We are being bent over here.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
No It is an overall heat solution Designed to take away heat tn two parts This is to direct the heat flow from the rad under the bike and heat from the engine down beside the left passenger footboard. The kit includes a new radiator, shrouds, blower fan and the electronics.
The kit number is 99994-0370, and is $399.95.
Don't assume go look it up. and complain to Kawasaki We are being bent over here.
Everything I see indicates something like the following:

"New for 2012, Kawasaki Air Management System (KAMS) maximizes rider and passenger comfort when stopped or at very low speeds in warm weather "

This is why I'm of the assumption it's a comfort issue, rather than an issue effecting the operation of the bike.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #50
flatop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbilotta View Post
Big engine/small cooling system. You can't keep a 1.7 liter engine cool with a two quart cooling system. There is no magical additive that's going to make a noticeable difference on the bike.

Once you stop moving the cooling system is quickly overwhelmed and you feel the radiated heat. If someone could design air deflectors that mount to the side of the bike which could redirect the air flowing around the bike towards the engine and rider that would help.
I ordered some replacement parts from Baker Air wings, make some brackets, mounted them to engine guard bars with three piece chrome mounts I got from local bike shop. In hot weather I pivot them so they bring air to the engine/riders legs area...wife says it makes a big difference. She will tell me to "turn the air on". In cold weather they provide extra wind deflection away from drivers leg area. Don't think it makes the bike rum much cooler, but it make the passenger happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0487.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	14470  
flatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement