seafoam - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wrench Heads

Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Bokobob

Default I use it all the time

I generally use Seafoam every other tank of gas...probably too often, but I think it result in never having to clean the carbs...I buy it by the gallon for around $60.....I also use it in my mower and now and then put 8 oz into the gas tank of my little car..

I feel is is just a terrific product..

Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
blackbird68

how much would you guys recommend putting in a 500 tank? I am about ready to winterize the bike so I got some for this purpose. I have heard 2-4 glugs or 4 oz.
blackbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
garymc

First thing you could do is read the label. I think it says one to one and a half ounces per gallon of fuel. You probably have a better idea how many gallons are in a 500 tank. I'm assuming you don't mean 500 gallons. Anyhow, if you're using it to winterize, I'd go towards the high dosage range on the label.
garymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Woody

There is nothing magic or mysterious about seafoam other than its price. Heck, if you use ethanol gas, you are 1/3 there already since SF contains 10-20% isopropanol! The other components are naptha (Coleman Fuel) and light oil. The SF name is 90% of the price.

For those interested in brewin' their own, I found this interesting article:
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Amerimutt

Thumbs up

I put that Sh%$ in everything!!!
I haven't chimed in on anything here lately...But this I can't resist to offer MHO
I put that sh%$ in an old snapper sit down mower, and it gave that rusty old thing life like never before. It couldn't make it over a hump into my garage without a running start. it did wheelies over it after. And since, Ive restored an old F150 clogged fuel injectors among other notable miracles.

Also fun fact # 123 "Gumout" (the crap that has many names) is owned by the largest American manufacture of catalytic converters. And that Sh%$ ruins the cats.
Just America being America

Last edited by Amerimutt; 12-04-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelled America wrong three times
Amerimutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
Ken Means

Garage

Some of my customers think I tuned up their bike after putting it in their tank. We use it by the gallons and don't use anything else. It is a great product. I've used it up to 2X the recommended dose with no problems what so ever. Its one of the few things in a can that does what they say it is supposed to do.
Ken Means is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I use it all the time. I also use a couple ounces as a fuel stabilizer in the winter. Dip a little on a rag and clean the throttle bodies, etc. Just does everything I ask it to...

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
red_leg

Garage

Seafoam worked wonders for my scoot. PO didn't take very good care of it so it had a rough idle among other problems, threw some seafoam in the tank and two tanks later it starts and idles like a champ, gets up quicker too.

Only caveat to that is seafoam will clean out gunk, not normally a bad thing, but gunk was the only thing keeping my petcock from leaking all over the garage floor I soon found out midway through my first treatment. A petcock rebuild kit fixed that issue though. Just food for thought.

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
'08 Vulcan 500LTD (wife's)
red_leg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #29
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_leg View Post
Seafoam worked wonders for my scoot. PO didn't take very good care of it so it had a rough idle among other problems, threw some seafoam in the tank and two tanks later it starts and idles like a champ, gets up quicker too.

Only caveat to that is seafoam will clean out gunk, not normally a bad thing, but gunk was the only thing keeping my petcock from leaking all over the garage floor I soon found out midway through my first treatment. A petcock rebuild kit fixed that issue though. Just food for thought.
That's precisely why a lot of people think, even in the right concentration, seafoam will cause 'older bikes' to leak. It's the exact same reason some folks say synthetic oil or detergent oil will cause an 'older engine' to leak. There was already a fault but gunk was plugging the hole, until you introduce something to clean it out!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
Ken Means

Garage

Anything in a can, can not fix a mechanical engine failure guys.
Ken Means is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement